Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

I may need to replace the clutch pedal hook part in my 1970, and haven't done this job in a decade. So I tried to find information in my Orange 1970-1979 Bentley manual - which, of course, has no index, and I couldn't find it. Actually, I find that finding things in that manual is difficult.

So if anyone can detail exactly what chapter and page number this is found, I'd appreciate that !!! Thanks.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

Brakes and Wheels. Page 30.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

The Haynes manual has a lot more How-to detail, but once you get the pedal cluster out, clutch shaft removal is basically a matter of driving out the pin, then pulling the shaft out.

I took it all apart and greased everything that touched metal. Once done, the clutch moves like butter.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

You may want to consider this product instead of the OEM hook
http://www.classicbugparts.com/clutch-pedal-shaft-upgrade/

Optional is a "Bigfoot" extender to move the clutch farther over.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591189&postorder=desc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

(edited to remove impertinent information . . . I misread the question.)

Last edited by 57BLITZ on Wed May 10, 2017 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSBenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

johnR wrote:

Optional is a "Bigfoot" extender to move the clutch farther over.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591189&postorder=desc

This is Awesome! I have always wondered if someone makes a kit to move both the clutch and brake away from the accelerator. I don't mind how close the break and clutch are, but they both should move to the left a little.

75 Standard Beetle
72 Standard Beetle (first car) sold in '96
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

Th kit only moves the clutch pedal over. The brake remains in the same position.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Brakes and Wheels. Page 30.
Tim

Thanks, Tim - figured it was "somewhere". How silly of me not to think that clutch pedal R&R would be under "Brakes and Wheels" !!!

Still think the Bentley needs an Index...

johnR wrote:
You may want to consider this product instead of the OEM hook
http://www.classicbugparts.com/clutch-pedal-shaft-upgrade/

I have considered that, think it's a great idea. However, I already have a new traditional pedal hook, so I'll go that route. With the number of miles I expect to put on this 1970, and the factory clutch hook has lasted 260+K so far, I think original design will suffice for me.

Yes, I have a "used" finger-type pressure plate on this that takes a fair amount of pedal pressure, and I'm at the end of adjustment on my 1979-installed clutch cable. So using my practice of "fix FIRST what you KNOW is bad", the worn clutch hook (and old cable) are first to be replaced.

The pressure plate will be replaced with new Brazilian unit next time the engine is out, pretty sure I don't want to remove exhaust and shove engine rearwards (or remove engine entirely) replace the PP.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

I think that Bently was written to intentionally confuse home mechanics so they'd just take the car--and the problem--to the dealer. Thus, the "Idiot" book was there to simplify what Bently made more difficult.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

I still think Vernoc is the one to write up an index for Bentley. Ya out there Vernoc?
sawitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I think that Bently was written to intentionally confuse home mechanics so they'd just take the car--and the problem--to the dealer. Thus, the "Idiot" book was there to simplify what Bently made more difficult.

Tim

I don't think this is the reason. In my experience (since the '70s), nearly all auto and motorcycle workshop manuals I've ever had, from several different manufacturers from Europe and Japan organize the manuals this way. I've never understood it, because it makes finding things much more difficult IMHO than a comprehensive index would. I don't know the reason, but it seems that this is the style the workshop manuals have taken for many years now. Maybe school-trained factory mechanics become so familiar with the manual that they don't need an index for the whole manual, maybe the manuals are published in separate books, one book per section so an overall index doesn't make sense. I think the Bentley is a condensed version of the factory workshop manual -- I don't know as I've never seen the official VW factory manual. But I was, just this morning, trying to find the accelerator cable adjustment procedure in the Bentley and finally after about 15 min. of searching found it in the Fuel Injection Section (for a '78 Super Beetle). I probably should have realized that that is the section it would be in, but I just don't have to reference the Bentley enough to remember where everything is. I'm sure somebody knows why workshop manuals are organized this way, but I sure don't.
MSBenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

johnR wrote:
Th kit only moves the clutch pedal over. The brake remains in the same position.

I know. I like the idea of moving the clutch. What I meant was that I wish someone would design a kit to move both pedals. On occasion my foot will hit the edge of the brake pedal on the way to the accelerator. I have wide feet.

75 Standard Beetle
72 Standard Beetle (first car) sold in '96
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
I still think Vernoc is the one to write up an index for Bentley. Ya out there Vernoc?

Yah, I'm here. However, I don't think you want me to try and organize anything 'cause I got the same problem Tim, Cusser and several others have; here, at the marina, we call it "Oldtimer's Disease". Often times I walk into the boat and start 'Thinking about the Hereafter'; like 'what was it that I came in here after'. d'oh! Anyhow, I have the same problem with the Bentley so I only use it as a last resort and, often times, I don't even do that. That's why, if you have read some of my posts, I ask some stupid questions 'cause I couldn't find answers in the book. But, you all have always helped me out.

By the by, Elwood is all serviced, polished, gassed and ready to hit the road for some more Summer trips through West Virginia. Last Summer we rolled up over 7000 miles; hope to do as much or more this Summer. Dancing

Well, got a go..........gettin' time for an old movie but I'll leave you all with another saying we have here at the marina.....Gettin' Old Ain't for Sissy's. Laughing

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386

Last edited by vernonc on Thu May 11, 2017 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

I have used the out-of-print poorly-bound Clymer repair manual for years, like that the best.

However, after reading many here praise the Bentley manual, caved in and bought a used copy on Ebay....still like Clymer better !!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

My shoe size is only nine and one-half, so my feet are okay with the stock pedal arrangement; however, when I drive the bug, I only wear certain shoes. These are not wide, clunky rubber sport shoes, but more like a dress shoe, which is much thinner in width.

I also don't drive the bug while wearing sandals, which is a bitch on hot summer days. The pedals just don't feel the same while wearing sandals, and I end up not working them--the pedals--with the same precision.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

I must have thin feet, work boots, runners or bare feet all work the same on the pedals.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

Here's a link to an "unofficial" index for the Bentley manual (from Rob and Dave's Aircooled VW page):

http://www.vw-resource.com/bentley1.html

May not have everything you want/need, but still find it fairly useful at times. I copied the text and edited slightly to make a printable version -- keep a couple hard copies lying around or tucked in the book.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

Great, thanks !

Copied and saved it to Word.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

Say won't Mrs Cusser be doing most of the driving on the vehicle?
What you could do would be take that to a weld shop in your area and have them just build up the area where the hook goes.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW Pedal Assembly information in the Orange Bentley manual? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
My shoe size is only nine and one-half, so my feet are okay with the stock pedal arrangement; however, when I drive the bug, I only wear certain shoes. These are not wide, clunky rubber sport shoes, but more like a dress shoe, which is much thinner in width.

I also don't drive the bug while wearing sandals, which is a bitch on hot summer days. The pedals just don't feel the same while wearing sandals, and I end up not working them--the pedals--with the same precision.

Tim

I'm in the same boat, but a size 11D. I need more clearance between the gas and brake pedals, especially with certain (most) shoes. As it is, my shoe hits either the tunnel or the brake pedal when I'm on the gas, and requires frequent adjustment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: