Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No power!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matpea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: No power!! Reply with quote

I am nearing my wits end with this car!!

I have a 1969 fuel injected fastback that is a manual transmission.
It doesn't have any power when it's time to go, it will sit at an idle and revs
Perfectly. It will go through the first two gears with plenty of power up to 30mph anything above that and it falls on its face, if I come to any hill it loses power and dang near won't make the hills.

What I have done, cleaned secondary points, replaced cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Set the what I believe is the load sensor (box with two wires on it that connects to the intake), I checked it via Bently manual directions and set it via same directions. Adjusted valves, set fuel pressure to 28psi, replaced vacuum advance with a good one. Cleaned gas tank and replaced fuel filter.

The distributor is electronic ignition so no points, or condenser. The only options that I can think are to back flush/clean fuel pump and check compression.

Anyone have any other things for me to check? I am determined to make the fuel injection work but if I can't then I have a set of original type3 dual carbs to put on as a laser resort.

Thanks
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

Be systematic, and don't throw parts at it.

Check for vacuum leaks, not by eye but with a can of starter fluid or similar. They can look fine but leak anyway.
Check the resistance of temp sensors and the MPS.
Check that the MPS holds vacuum.
Check ignition timing.
Then report back.
matpea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

Which parts are the temp sensor and the mps, new too the fuel injected stuff so not familiar with this stuff.
Thanks
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

You have the Bentley manual, right?

I'd tell you to search the FI threads, but they are so huge at this point that I doubt you will! However, browsing them for diagrams and photos will familiarize yourself with the components. Look for links to several PDFs and web pages that are summaries of the FI system. Even the Muir "Idiot book" makes a good start.
matpea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

Checked all vacuum lines-good
Checked that mps sensor holds vacuum-good
Adjusted timing
Checked temp sensor-good

Pulled the injector connectors off all cylinders one at a time, number 2 and 4 did nothing when pulled numbers 1 and 3 both dropped idle and ran ruff when pulled.
matpea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

Also pulled filter and pump and cleaned both were pretty clean nothing too terribly nasty came from the pump or filter.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

Check the ground connections for the injectors that are not working. Early on they were near the injectors; later it was a central "porcupine" on top of the block.

I am scratching my head that you seemingly have two dead cylinders yet it runs fine through the first two gears. Can you elaborate?

How long have you had this problem?
How long have you had the car?
matpea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

The grounds are good for the injectors, I cleaned as well as made sure they fit tightly. I got the car from someone who pulled the body to replace pans and never made it further than that. I've had the car for about 6 months and have been battling the hackery with the injection harness for about 2 months now.
A good friend of mine as well as someone I trust that knew the car befor the previous owner got it said it ran really good before the person I got it from dismantled it that's why I am trying to retain fuel injection. Everyone I know with type threes tells me they are pretty slow to get up to speed so I just figured that was the way it was, yet it's a struggle to get it up too 50 mph and if there is the slightest incline then I'm screwed! The first two gears seem like the car has ok power but once third is hit that's when I really notice a lack of acceleration power. Not sure how to test to make sure those injectors are getting power, it seems weird to me as well. I borrowed a friends bently manual and have since returned it so I am using a chilton as well as the idiot guide both of which seem great for telling me what's what but suck at telling me how to trouble shoot. I will hopefully be able to get the bently back this weekend if I can't figure it out on my own.
matpea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

Switched the wires to the injectors for 1 and 2 as well as 3 and 4 and got the same result, pull power from 1 and 3 and it tries to die pull power from 2 and 4 and no change.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

This is checked while idling in the driveway?
matpea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

Yes while sitting at an idle.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

So it's running on two cylinders at idle?
And yet still makes good progress in first and second? Or is it chugging even then, but becomes a speed impediment only in higher gears?
matpea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

It seems to idle fine as well as rev fine sitting in the garage, it feels similar to my single cab with a 1600 single port in it up too about 25-30 mph when it's time to shift into third then it falls on its face and really struggles to go after that.
matpea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

I'll see if I can post a video of it tomorrow, I'm done messing around with it today my frustration level is pretty high with it right now.
matpea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

It doesn't seem to want to load the video, parked in my driveway under no load it will start, idle and rev. I don't notice any hiccups or smoke of any kind. It has good compression through all cylinders yet numbers 2 and 4 when power is pulled from the injectors does not seem to affect it at an idle. I did have to replace the number 1 and 3 injectors when I first started trying to get it to run because the had cracks in the casing and were leaking fuel, I left the other 2 alone.[/img]
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

Crud plugging up the fuel sock inside your gas tank? Filter your gas through a T shirt & reuse it if you drain the tank.

P.S. Buy your own new or used 68-73 Type 3 Bentley manual!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matpea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

Fuel sock and tank have already been cleaned.
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

Check the injector point in the distributor 2 and 4 run on the same one
matpea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

After much fiddling I found that two injectors are bad, unless there is suppose to be a yellow tip injector and a black tip injector. Pulled the injectors switched 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 and my problem reversed, when pulling power from 2 and 4 it dies when I pull power from number 1 and 3 no change. It also idles ruff now that the injectors are switched.
My question is there suppose to be two different color injectors?
matpea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: No power!! Reply with quote

Also are new injectors available or do I need to have these redone?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: