Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

Was wondering if anyone has a boat project with a VW air cooled in it? I am working on a jet ski / boat
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by vwjetboat on Tue May 30, 2017 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Any VW flat 4 boat projects on forum? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633265&highlight=boatswagon

Epic build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Any VW flat 4 boat projects on forum? Reply with quote

got flywheel for vw jetboat build today.. its off a nissan sentra 96 or so. 10 3/4 inch
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Any VW flat 4 boat projects on forum? Reply with quote

Link

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Any VW flat 4 boat projects on forum? Reply with quote

Neat.. but no wheels are going on mine..
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Any VW flat 4 boat projects on forum? Reply with quote

flexplate adapter done

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Any VW flat 4 boat projects on forum? Reply with quote

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

So what's the plan for coupling engine to the drive, belt driven? Have you verified that the engine rotation will be in the right direction to drive the impeller?
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

So what's the plan for coupling engine to the drive, belt driven? Have you verified that the engine rotation will be in the right direction to drive the impeller?
yes it rotates right way.. 3 v belt pulley is the plan at the moment
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

cool project. It kinda looks like my 11' invader with the top deck removed. I used to run a 40hp Johnson. 50 mph on an 11 ft boat is a thrill, not real fond of those speeds on a PWC though.

I'm missing something though. isn't the motor in backwards? I see the flex plate adaptor, how are you coupling it to the input shaft on the jet pump at the other end of the block?.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
cool project. It kinda looks like my 11' invader with the top deck removed. I used to run a 40hp Johnson. 50 mph on an 11 ft boat is a thrill, not real fond of those speeds on a PWC though.
there will be some slight modifications on hull to give it more of a V shape.. and the nose will be a few feet longer into a point.. Like the old vintage 70s jet boats.. I figure if i have less then 500 bucks in it.. and it moves.. I will crap all over myself just from the stand point of accomplishing it.. The only reason Im doing this.. is we live in treasure beach Florida.. im on the water so to speak.. GF has a Manufactured home on one of the canal's that leads to the ICW 100 yards or so away..
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

Kool project! I'll be interested to see the finished boat.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

ordered a few more parts for vwjetboat

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

well.. I am adding 3 feet to bow.. gas tank will go up here ..

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

you can kinda see were I am going with this a little better now.. it went from 9 feet to 12 feet..

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

Started polishing the intakes.. about half way done with 1

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

Well.. crap.. so.. the plan was to build this used 1776 motor.. new bearings cam & lifters & rings.. ya know a CHEAP rebuild because the case is an older H case.. So i do not want to spend a lot of money on it.. .. Well today .. my old boss gave me a motor that was pretty much sitting in the weather but with rocker arms off.. heads got water in intake ports and little in the case but nothing damaging.. well anyway .. the plan was to use this new junk motor for mock up in the boat.. something i could leave in and not worry about weather..but.. turns out.. the case.. is a std main.. std thrust std bore 1600 dual port dual relief AJ case...now WTF. to do. obviously smart thing to do would be use the H case for mock up and build the AJ case.. but dang .. I really do not have the money to do it right.. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGG i hate being poor.. sometimes.. lol its fun doing things that most could never do with so little like I do.. but dangit.. I want to go boating THIS SUMMER ..
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

I was asked what I am going to do about the drive system.. and then it dawned on me .. I had a few parts I might be able to do something with and I will be damned.. I think it this will work .. all the lateral force on the belt will be on this front wheel bearing that is still good.. and the love joy off the yellow jet ski. and... so far.. $0 invested in these parts.. once I figure out what ratio the crank and pump need.. I will go junk yard and get.. Id love to put a Harley drive belt on it but they are way to much money .. so two serpentine belts 1 inch wide should do it.. of course with manual tensioner or some sort.. I know the pitch of the prop.. its booked marked someplace 18 degree or something.. so anyone that is into this and would like to take a gander at what pulleys I should prob get then by all means.. ask what ya need..
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Reply with quote

Why complicate things? Why not just put the water jet back in it? RPM's should be close to the original engine at cruise, plus you gain a little bit of torque. Hook it up to a clutch mechanism coming off the crank pulley like you're attempting. Or ... is that what you are doing? You said "prop" and got me thinking you were heading I/O with it.[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: