Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine trany match up (Mismatch up)
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
multis6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Engine trany match up (Mismatch up) Reply with quote

I'm building a trike and having a hell of a time trying to get the clutch assembly to match up. Ive got a 1971,1600 engine and a (as far as I can tell )
1967 Type 3 trans axle. The original donor vehicle info has been lost in the annals of history.
Right now I seem to have a mismatch with the clutch assembly. The engine is bolted up but there is no room for the pressure plate to disengage. The cable adjustment is fully loose and there is no way to depress the peddle,. I'm guessing that the throw out barring is riding on the PP and will not depress any further.
With a new clutch kit in hand for a 67 trany I bolted up the pressure plate and the center collar kept pulling in toward the flywheel till it was almost flush with the surface of the PP. This seems excessive compared to the other PPs I've installed in the past.
Any thoughts out there.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine trany match up (Mismatch up) Reply with quote

You've got the wrong clutch and/or pressure plate on the engine side. Look at this thread here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=654804&highlight=clutch+issue
and compare the photos to what you have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine trany match up (Mismatch up) Reply with quote

didnt read through the referred thread, but many pressure plates have the center ring (that is removable) to mate with different throw outs. Also, there are different throw out bearings for the centering ring and not and they ride in the fork differently.... I would have got a kit compatible with the 67 tranny.

67-70 has the ring and 71 up doesnt. And we are assuming the throw out fork is original....Not always the case.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
multis6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Engine trany match up (Mismatch up) Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys, I approached the situation by matching up the clutch kit to a 1967 engine, If I go with the the specks on the 1971 SQUAREBACK, 1.6L H4, Transmission-Manual, Type 3, the PP is the type with No ring on it. But I have no guide tube on the input shaft on the trany. The question begs to be answered, can I run a PP with exposed fingers (and the proper throw out barring (T/O)) without the guide tube? This trany never had a guide tube. There is product literature saying not to run the a PP with exposed fingers with out a guide tube in place.??????????????????
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine trany match up (Mismatch up) Reply with quote

You can, yes. But better to run a clutch that has the metal ring on the fingers. Less chance of buggering up the fingers if something doesn't hit just right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: