Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Steering Box Lube
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Ghia Steering Box Lube Reply with quote

All,
Question, to refill the steering gear box with lube remove the adjusting bolt and fill either with grease or transmission oil 75w-90? Is this correct?

Thank you..
...Dave
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Steering Box Lube Reply with quote

Remove the 4 perimeter bolts, then turn the adjusting bolt clockwise to remove the lid if yours doesn't have the fill hole. I use grease as it doesn't leak out. The adjusting screw will not come out f the lid except by screwing it all the way in.

brad
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Steering Box Lube Reply with quote

Someone, I think on here, suggested using John Deere Cornhead grease
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Steering Box Lube Reply with quote

I see the 4 perimeter bolts but no filler hole. Where is the filler hole located? I believe it is the original steering box...
71 Ghia

Thank you...
...Dave
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Steering Box Lube Reply with quote

Hi. As Brad previously stated you need to remove the top cover in the method he described. The very early boxes had a fill plug but not yours.
By removing the top you are able to clean out any old lube and replenish.
Hope this helps, Bill.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Steering Box Lube Reply with quote

All,
Thanks for the help... Can this all be done with the gear box in place and not removed from the car?
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Steering Box Lube Reply with quote

Isn't there a paper gasket ?

If so, where would you get one ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Steering Box Lube Reply with quote

All,
Thanks for the help... Can this all be done with the gear box in place and not removed from the car?
Thank you..
...Dave
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Steering Box Lube Reply with quote

If you removed the gas tank you may be able to gain access w/o removing box. Not 100% sure...may be simpler to remove box. I have read and heard good results with the cornhead grease, but never used it. I have used regular grease but have mixed in some gear oil to thin and make dispensing easier.
J1 in his beam rebuild thread just handled this.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677496
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Steering Box Lube Reply with quote

This thread, Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild, may answer most of your steering box related question.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Steering Box Lube Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
All,
Thank you..
...Dave

Dave, as I recall, I used to see these steering box tops (the four bolts) loosen up and could snug them up with unique wrenches such as described as distributor wrenches. I believe, in order to do the job properly you should, at a minimum, remove the gas tank. Ideally, R&R the steering box for this job.
You would have to make your own gasket.
Hope this helps, Bill.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Steering Box Lube Reply with quote

Bill,
Thanks for the response... Yes, we'll remove the gas tank and that looks like it will do it for us...
Thanks again...
...Dave
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Steering Box Lube Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
J1 in his beam rebuild thread just handled this.

Late to the party but yes I just refreshed my box. I have a 71 also so probably have the same box with two rubber "relief valves". Btw if those rubber valves are shot there are threads here talking about just using screws. I may do that later.

In terms of box removal, I'm not sure tank removal is absolutely necessary. Maybe helpful but not necessary. I think. The key I believe is to remove the drop arm. I did not remove my drop arm and couldn't figure out a way to remove/install without dropping the beam... but I did not look too hard since I already had everything off the beam and dropping it was no big deal. My post about it https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8468857#8468857

Please share how you do it... I may need to go back in for a real rebuild at some point.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: