Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

Here's the deal - my shop is primarily a one man show. I have 2 techs that work part time as sub-contractors, but most of the time it's just me. That may change over time, but for at least a year, that's how it is and I like working alone...No schedule, no rush, I come and go as I please and do what I want when I want.

A 14 year old kid found me from a "for sale" ad that I had placed for a couple VWs I was selling. The kid is working on an early super with either his Dad or Stepdad and would like to work at the shop over the summer. Since he has very little in the way of skills, he is not much use to me except for some grunt work, but I am sure he is looking at it as a learning opportunity.

Agonizing over this...Don't know about you, but I always loved hanging around shops when I was young. But since he would need to ride over with his Dad, he is stuck there all day and I don't want to be.

What I am pondering is maybe letting him come over 1 day a week if I have something interesting going on. I do have to double check with my insurance agent on this to make sure he would be covered. I dunno...thoughts?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

Think about when you were 14. If his parents are ok with it, I'd give the kid a shot.
J Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Think about when you were 14. If his parents are ok with it, I'd give the kid a shot.

x2

Look at it as paying it forward.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

May be worth a chance. Younger people do not know how to wrench at all.
Some one may have to keep these cars going in the future.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

I may let him sit in on an engine build, or parting out a car....to have him camped out on your shoes while you work will get old.....I had a coworker at the dealer who could not talk from his bay....he was right there every time I turned around. only way to get rid of him was a healthy fart

I started pumping gas at a 3 bay shop when I was 14. if I wasn't pumping gas, I was cleaning the bays, or doing tire work. to this day, I still hate doing tires....

that said, it may be best to have him around for a engine build/part out session. that way he isn't in your way at all. if you aren't not paying him, I don't think insurance will be an issue.

check with his school....we had a work program that allowed us to get paid, but the school took care of the insurance. when we were in shop class, if we had a 'job' we could report right to work. my boss would fill out a weekly 'progress report' took like 2 seconds to fill out.

again, I would do something where he could not get into to much trouble. be careful....if you feed the strays, he may want to be there all the time too....

if you do it, put a time limit on it....say 2 hours to start, or a morning if you are tearing a car down. that way, you can still plan your day and not be a babysitter

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
bigfatloser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

I wish more young people would show this kids initiative. I'd give him a chance just based on that.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

I grew up in a suburban neighborhood, but my best friend grew up directly behind a major shopping center/business district. When he walked in to TuneTech at 14 and they let him come in on Saturdays and sweep/assist a little with oil changes, etc.- he was THE MAN! I was so jealous of him that summer. He had a jump start over me on a regular "job" and the work ethics it helped establish.

He didn't go in to mechanics but he learned a lot. He was responsible and learned the importance of dependability. If you can possibly swing this- I sure hope you can.

Let the local labor laws determine the length of his work day. I also do not know what type of compensation is required in PA but I bet it's rather low for a 14yo. Good luck for both of you!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

I come from a family where my dad didn't even know how to open the hood, never understood "maintenance". Of course his vehicles were junk after 2 years. My brothers and sister never expressed any interest in fixing ANYTHING, so if anything needed a look-see, it was always The Cuss.

At least this got me my first drill, hacksaw, soldering iron with green stamps from grocery store (remember those?).

Anyway, when I was in my late teens, I got a job as a "mechanic's helper" for a guy whose business was rebuilding and installing VW engines from a newspaper ad (remember those?). Likely I was smart enough, and had a VW, I was the only employee, made $50 a week.

Well, turned out to be the best job of my life, I learned a ton. Second day I pulled a VW engine using his verbal instructions. I bought metric combination wrenches - lifetime from JC Penney - still have them to this day, my main set. Without this opportunity I likely would not have had the confidence or reason to fix VWs, other vehicles, even things around the house like ceiling fans, water heater, etc.

So I say give him a chance !!! Make kid and dad understand that this is on a try out/experimental basis, and if it doesn't work out you all say thanks and shake hands.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

Yeah - I am leaning toward doing it. I already spend about 1/4 of my day helping folks over the phone anyway LOL.... And yeah - paying forward is something that I do a lot anyway.....That's how I learned a lot of stuff......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

I learned all about wrenching from the old timers who took the time to teach me. Now that I'm an old timer, I have always took the time to teach those who GENUINELY want to learn. Set the expectation with him that he must be willing to learn and get his hands dirty. It can be challenging to find positive role models today and taking the time with this young man may be a great opportunity to be a positive influence on him.
and take the kids for instance "Are we going in the Volkswagen bus?" and they say "Yay!" and clap their hands and if it's a glorious day you can slide the sunroof back and let a little of the glory in and all of a sudden, it stops looking funny.

-Volkswagen ad
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

bigfatloser wrote:
I wish more young people would show this kids initiative. I'd give him a chance just based on that.

My idea, exactly. He is taking initiative - nurture it. You might be staring at one of the best mechanics in the making. Teach it to him properly.

I will assign him some reading on basic engine function. He has to do the leg work and you know it. He will need it. You do not want to spoon-feed it to him. He will not remember anything if does not absorb the initial information for himself.

It is like going to school. You will read and have assignments. Reading mostly. He has to get all that before I will let him into the garage. Safety...safety...safety. Teach him what he needs to know not to set the garage on fire.

Once he has an idea what part of an engine is what....then you can teach him how to teardown. Hands-on part.

I have taught many young kids in my days in the military. And I was taught by someone else too...so on. It is passing the information on. However he comes out will be a reflection on who and how he was taught by whom.

Insurance should be no-issue. You have a general coverage whoever gets hurt in your garage is covered. But check w/ your insurance.

I wish my son has interest in mechanical stuff but he does not. He is computers.... that is his skill. Mine is machines. Everyone has different interests.

Last edited by nsracing on Sat May 13, 2017 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

In this day and age... nope.

The second a cylinder head falls off the table crushes his little foot your life becomes infinitely more complicated. People with lawyers have ruined what 'was' for everyone. You may decide to go for it, but don't kid yourself about the very real risk you're running. Liability insurance doesn't protect you like you think it does. Parental consent doesn't protect you like you think it does. Neither of those things prevent a lawsuit, negligence and higher premiums.

They may even fancy themselves "good people", but when the cards are on the table, YOU will be left holding the bag. You think this guys parents won't flip on you the second something goes wrong? Even if nothing goes wrong, I wouldn't even BE ALONE with a minor (male of female) in a professional setting at my work.

They can take everything from you. Is that worth teaching some kid to turn wrenches? Ultimately you have to decide.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

Sounding rather cynical. Is E-burg in vermont?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

go with your gut feeling. How far does he live from your shop?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

Haha nah. I've just had a small routine issue with a customer that ballooned into a big thing and it really changed my perspective on how life is as opposed to how we want it to be. Best intentions to help someone out and all that.

1/20 people have ruined it for everyone
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

You'll find out soon enough if this kid is serious about the job, especially the shittier aspects. If all goes well you could end up training and nurturing a gem for the next generation. Good luck--go for it!! Smile
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

Always a need for someone to do some cleaning Wink Sweep the shop and organize the tools, then slowly move into washing the bathroom. If he has moxy, then take it from there.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Always a need for someone to do some cleaning Wink Sweep the shop and organize the tools, then slowly move into washing the bathroom. If he has moxy, then take it from there.

LOL - gonna run this by the wife as well...But thinking I will bring him in a day or two a week. Always have tins that need blasted and painted. And will be blowing a late vert apart for paint and reassembling a 63 body off...There will be grunt and fun stuff to do....Did tell him today to buy the Idiots Guide and start reading....

Have a 21 yar old kid right now that is wrapping up trade school (auto repair) that is doing some part time work and I hope to get him full time after he is done with school. This new kid could be his helper in a couple years....

Ya know for a shop that was SUPPOSED to be for me to work on my own cars and maybe do 1 a year for a customer, its getting a little bigger than planned...There's 6 customer cars here now with another one in my storage garage and I am waiting for the lift to get empty so I can do a little work on one of mine......
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

Been there, done that, sounds very familiar.

As much as I hate having someone follow me around while I try to work the "pay it forward" thing definitely applys, I too was that PITA kid once.
Skillz' idea about a couple hours a day makes sense, he gets a taste and there's still a few hours left for you to recover if needed.
Sweeping, bolt sorting, sand blasting, parts washing, sanding/scraping, there's plenty of things to keep him busy without constant babysitting that benefit you later, he may suck at some tasks but excel in others, or he may just run away crying after the first day, some have it, others don't.

Another make work project could be to go through your stash and sort, clean, label, bag and inventory, then you know what you have, you could even have him photograph each item for Ebay or something. Great when you need to find something, handy when heading for a swap too, and if something horrible ever happens to you your next of kin can easily identify the pile of crap you've left them.

Everyone has to start somewhere, if he's got it figured out that you can't suddenly become a pro by watching a video on Youtube and is prepared to actually get his hands dirty give it a try, worst case he runs away and rethinks his careeer chioces, or maybe he's got the drive and can be useful with a little guidance. Modern youth can't possibly all be useless in a shop.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Have a dilemma - letting a kid work at the shop Reply with quote

I started in a apprenticing in a shop owned by a Porsche & VW factory trained Hitler's youth. I initially worked for him in return for helping to get my 1972 highroof running again. I swept floors, moved parts, pushed cars & did all of the shit work that would have kept them from making money (The worst thing they made me do was to go with the tow guy to the car wash to hose out the engine bay of a diesel rabbit that sat on the side of the road for a week, in the summer, after hitting a skunk).

I got to leave school early as a work release & made money to live off of as I lived on my own at an early age. I loved that job.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: