Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

That actually surprises me too. I just wanted to know what happened to my bus and it turned into this again Laughing

Wait, what? You've riled up the old farts before? Clicked off a few pages of this - Brick wall

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

See the North may have won the war, but y'all still have rustier cars than we do. I'd rather have to search longer and harder for a bus and get one down here in the warm parts of the country.. I've seen some crusty buses on craigslist down here but nothing like the wretchedness in the snow country up there where y'all are.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Okay so like.. I'm 19, and I totally understand this feeling of urgency. When you're a teenager, everything feels like It's gotta happen tomorrow, I don't know why, but it's just a thing that happens. I've gone down too many rabbit holes relating to cars because of this, and I've partially learned my lesson.

Just slow the fuck down, guys our age literally have our entire fucking lives ahead of us, and let me tell you, that bus that you're looking at, it's been sitting for multiple decades, a couple more months aren't going to hurt it any.

Lastly.

SAVE. YOUR. FUCKING. MONEY. I finally got this through my head after multiple years of saving up $500-$1500 and blowing it on one rusted out shitheap Subaru/Honda/Datsun after another. You are essentially taking your money outside and lighting it on fire. Except you now have to get rid of the piece of shit in your driveway.

One final note:
Purchasing multiple wrecks and parting them out/piecing together one decent vehicle is definitely an option for people like you and me, since we have far more time than money.

However.. Make sure you're buying these vehicles for like.. $250 each, because you get so little parting them out, anything more and you're just losing money hand over fist.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

So true Cap10323 Laughing Applause

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

How 'bout this beauty? Just like yours cap...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

That is some serious gas can hoarding Shocked

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Lol Laughing
What do you think of the bus though?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Lol Laughing

its a photo of a shitty neglected bus....that photo does nothing for your cause. I see a 200.00 toilet sitting there.

listen, you are grasping at straws here....the replies are starting to get hostile and blunt. you are starting to skate on everyone's last nerve here.

we cannot help with one photo of a bus. we need many CLEAR DEATILED photos of what you are looking at. otherwise, you are just wasting time. you need detailed photos of all of the common rust areas. I suggest you search the forum...10's of 1,000's of pics out there from guys just buying a bus, and all the common rust areas.... you aren't the first to do this, but of all the threads you have to have the highest expectations with the lowest possible budget

not for nothing...this was a 1200 bus in 2013...

your budget is too low. this is what I looks like now

that bus was missing EVERYTHING.....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

The bus has the complete camping interior and every repair panel. I've seen it in person. It's a project, not too bad. I'm gonna stop posting until I find a bus then post photos of it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Lol Laughing

It looks like it's playing hide & seek with you. Perhaps you should hide from them & let the busses find you.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

It's great. It's comes equipped for Bus-immolation to put it out of its misery.

Do you see the line if rust under the windshield gasket ? When the windshield is lifted, there will be great gaping holes if metal and water will have been streaming down into the electrical s and floor.

The fix is a horrific weld job of a Donor piece of metal... I say horrific because welders like me will do it 8 times and not get it right, while skills will be horrified that he will get paid in skateboards and end up on a GoFundMe bread line.

That 18 year old wisdom up above is epic. Drink it in , you have forever.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

It's a rusted out heap of shit. The windshield is about to fall out, and it needs full rockers/front fenders and doglegs minimum. Nothing said about the condition of the Frame, Interior, Engine, Transmission etc.

I Would not pay more than $500 for that bus if there was another $250 in the glove box. Too many unknowns.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed where you mentioned your budget for a bus?

$4000 got me this "Runs but no battery" bus two years ago out of north central Arkansas...

Then I spent about $1500 doing this, since it technically "DID" run but had two rod knocks:

Drove it for a while like this:

After spending hundreds on misc seals and parts to make it dependable.. I started rust repairs

Now that I've had it for two years and looked it over top to bottom, I wouldn't pay more than $2k for the same bus as it sat when I bought it. But, the market was soft, and in the South it's tough to come by any bus, since they're like rusty hen's teeth down here. So I don't regret my choice to spend what I did, but I do recognize that there is generally quite a lot of hard work, skill, and tooling that make up the difference between a rusty $500 bus and a true $20k bus.

I enjoy working on this kind of stuff. Bodywork is new for me and it's a fun challenge; the mechanical stuff is simple if you stay mostly stock. The problem is, for a young guy with a relatively small initial purchase budget, you may find yourself overwhelmed at the scale and complexity of simply repairing the issues that exist in low budget buses.

The Bus forum and classifieds are littered with stripped bus shells, partially cut for panel replacement, that are simply so much work that the new owner decides to cut losses and bail. I doubt anyone would truly discourage you from buying a bus.. but go into your purchase with eyes wide open.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I love the small pop top campers the budget is low. Like less than $1000. I'm going into this with eyes wide open.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Here is a pic of my POS bus. I paid 5k for it three years ago and put probably another 4-5k into it in body work and mechanicals. Does this look like a $10k bus to anyone? Of course not. Welcome to New England

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
AJPinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Hey man, I appreciate the enthusiasm and tenacity. I've got a son your age. I get it. It's hard to think past today, let alone a year or two. Delayed gratification and youth are pretty antithetical…

Just to put things in perspective here, I bought my first bus last year. It was a long time coming for me. I’m in VT and most everything up here looks like the pics you’ve been posting. So I saved up my pennies and bought a VERY SOLID bus out of NC for $8K. Since then, I more than doubled that investment in body work, paint, mechanicals, upholstery, etc...and I’m not even gunning for a show-quality restoration, just want to have a nice, clean, reliable bus.

Not to crush your dreams here, but for $1000, I suggest you buy a 1995 Jetta, get a job and save your money.

Cheers.

AJPinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Or maybe you could haggle on old swap-thing here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2057341
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I know both of those buses....rockorod's bus was pretty dam clean, minus the house paint

ajp's bus was fantastic "use as is" condition, but needed some previous owner repairs kicked out of it.....

that said, both of those campers are "holy grail" buses with the late westy camping gear.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

AJPinVT wrote:
Or maybe you could haggle on old swap-thing here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2057341

20 hour drive...no thanks. I'm still on the hunt. Maybe I'll check out that one in the woods by me. I know you guys don't like it, but I don't know what it looks like so...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Man, I know how the OP feels..

I remember being 16!

Even before I had my learner's permit,
I had four Chevy Vegas, a Powerglide, and a 4-bolt 350.
Had me a manual-secondaries Holley 650, some slapper bars, and a 6" snorkel scoop.
I was even working professionally as a mechanic that summer, too.

And,
yeah,
none of it actually ever came together into a running/driving automobile... Embarassed

If you got this bus,
And a job! (*gasp* NNOOOO!!! Shocked Shocked )
And poured your heart/soul into it,
At least it would be worth something when you were done..

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 22

Jump to: