Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Bwaa-ha-haaaa! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Okay, seriously....
The best advertising you can do is to get referrals from satisfied clients.
So one secret is to find a couple of people you already know, and show them what you're capable of doing. Mowing, painting, welding... whatever. And once they are satisfied with your work, ask them:
(1) for 3 names and numbers of people you might contact for work, and
(2) to tell all their friends/ neighbor's/ co-workers/ whomever about your skills and abilities.

I've been doing kitchen design and remodels for about 8 years now, and I get ALL my clients by referral. Not only do you get top-notch clients that way, you never spend a nickel on advertising. It's a win-win for both you and your clients. And your parents needn't worry about stranger-danger. Very Happy

The other trick is to over-satisfy your client. Always give them a little bit more than they expect. Mowing their lawn?... Trim a hedge as a bonus. Painting a room?... Do an immaculate clean-up when you're done. Surprise them with something simple yet appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Thanks Kent, the leaves are gonna start falling soon so I guess I'll start with lawns and move from there with referrals.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

The other trick is to over-satisfy your client. Always give them a little bit more than they expect. Mowing their lawn?... Trim a hedge as a bonus. Painting a room?... Do an immaculate clean-up when you're done. Surprise them with something simple yet appreciated.

I always make sure to drink a surprising amount of beer at customers' houses. They never expect it.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
KentPS wrote:

I always make sure to drink a surprising amount of beer at customers' houses. They never expect it.

Robbie

Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Quote:
So one secret is to find a couple of people you already know, and show them what you're capable of doing. Mowing, painting, welding... whatever. And once they are satisfied with your work, ask them:
(1) for 3 names and numbers of people you might contact for work, and
(2) to tell all their friends/ neighbor's/ co-workers/ whomever about your skills and abilities.

Surprisingly, this skill applies to selling $750,000 scanning near field optical microscopes to Intel.

It's called 'prospecting'. I got very comfortable as the world worst sales closer, but nearly the best prospector during my life.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

Now that I'm expecting it, will Nut Brown Ale work? Cool
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I can attest to Robbie's 'Truth in advertising' statement.
I'm already stocking up for his next visit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I always make sure to drink a surprising amount of beer at customers' houses. They never expect it. Robbie

andrewtf, I'm always surprised how few beers he drinks at my house Wink Seems like I always have plenty left over Cool

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Maybe you need to buy better beer?

Or maybe you serve him crappy beer to get rid of him faster?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

THall wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

Now that I'm expecting it, will Nut Brown Ale work? Cool

Dealthy nut allergy over here- so if it's brewed with nuts, that's a solid 'no,' sorry! Embarassed

--

As for the rest of you: Xevin, I don't think you realized how full your fridge was when Cynthia got there… Andrew, there is less to do in Urbana than Portland, so naturally I have to drink to drown out the visuals…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

-As for the rest of you: Xevin, I don't think you realized how full your fridge was when Cynthia got there… Andrew, there is less to do in Urbana than Portland, so naturally I have to drink to drown out the visuals…

Ah yes, Cynthia did bring a cornucopia of proper beer over. She's so considerate and smart. I miss her. Good times for sure. And andrewtf can"Keep on loving" his REO Speedwagon tape collection Laughing 67ctbug, you have know idea want I'm talking about. Your mom might Laughing

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

-As for the rest of you: Xevin, I don't think you realized how full your fridge was when Cynthia got there… Andrew, there is less to do in Urbana than Portland, so naturally I have to drink to drown out the visuals…

Ah yes, Cynthia did bring a cornucopia of proper beer over. She's so considerate and smart. I miss her. Good times for sure. And andrewtf can"Keep on loving" his REO Speedwagon tape collection Laughing 67ctbug, you have know idea want I'm talking about. Your mom might Laughing

Lol, I've heard of REO Speedwagon... I don't listen to them, I'm more of a Beatles, CCR, Rolling Stones guy... but I do know who they are. I had to google them to get the "Keep on loving" joke though. She might have gotten it...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Nice pull 67ctbug. REO Speedwagon formed in andrewtf home town basically. andrewtf is really a cool mofo. Now get to bed!!! Don't you have to buy "Back to School" clothes in the morning, be sure to get a nice new parka and don't blow your wad flirting with the chicks in the food court Cool just messing with you Wink

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I'm already back in school Rolling Eyes It's ridiculous.... can't even go back after Labor Day, We have to go in for 2 days and then get a long weekend... made some money to add to the VW funds today stacking wood.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Make good choices, stay in school....and watch out for creeps who use the wrong letters in their names....

Beatles, stones, CCR...WELL DONE. you can skip most of the 70s music scene with impunity.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I'll have to take Robbie (or any other Sambanista who happens through) to a bar here called "Memphis on Main'. It is a pretty good bar - and used to be a candy shop called 'Vriners'. REO took the photo for their first album cover sitting at the Vriners soda fountain... or maybe they were phosphates then?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But then again - the beer we can drink sitting on my screen porch is going to be better.

I Can't fight this feeling, so ts Time for me to fly, so all of you Take it on the run, and Get back on the road again, but Keep the fires burnin', while you are Ridin' the storm out.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

*sigh*
I still miss bell bottoms.... Crying or Very sad

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
*sigh*
I still miss bell bottoms.... Crying or Very sad

Ugh! The 70's was a weird time in America. The clothes, the hair, the high crime rates and the entertainment whether music (Led Zepplin to KC and the Sunshine band?) or movies. It was a time when American cities had degraded to the point of chaos. Look at any pictures of New York City or other large cities.. It just looks dirty, run down and nasty. To me, it was when America bottomed out before starting a renewal and clean up on isle 9.

Bell bottoms? Reminds me of the 'tough skins' and 'wallabee' shoes that were in vogue during middle school in the mid-late 70's.. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to 67ctbug's first essay due this Friday. "How I spent my Summer and What Lessons I Have Learned". Get crackin' boy! Laughing
Make sure you have something VW related for "Show and Tell" Cool

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I'm looking forward to 67ctbug's first essay due this Friday. "How I spent my Summer and What Lessons I Have Learned". Get crackin' boy! Laughing
Make sure you have something VW related for "Show and Tell" Cool

Laughing "Well, I was talking to a few strangers online and...." Laughing I'll just bring in a manual transmission....Half the kids in my class wouldn't even undestand how to use it. One even thinks that an auto is better because it's less work Shocked Rolling Eyes
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 22

Jump to: