Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Well, we're getting into the winter season now which means more opportunities to make money. Wish me luck! it's supposed to snow next week so I'll see how many driveways I can clear, but an alarming amount of people do it themselves or already contract it out.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I tried... I really did. I went and got my shovel, walked up and down the street, and asked the one person who had there lights on and no snowblower if I could shovel for them. I didn't even tell them how much I wanted, the answer was "I don't have any money". I guess next time.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

... and all the houses whose lights are off you left a flyer with your number, your price, a text phone number so you can be easily reached , a picture of you and your mission , right?

That’s the t in trying. The rying come after that.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

No, my printer is out of ink. I was going to, but didn't. I'm designing one right now. What do you think of my prices? $25 for small driveway, $35 for medium, and $50 for large.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Okay, what do you all think-

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One is so I can give them the exact price instead of telling them when they call... I think that's the right one.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Add name , address, picture of you to personalize

Delete reference to " don't answer my phone". Your in business now. You answer your phone for everyone until you are my age, which is a long time away. Remember to answer with " Hello, this is ( your. Name)" so that the callers know they've reached you.

You can just say " text or leave message"

What about the lawn mowing you do in Spring? How are these people going to know you do this?

Very Happy
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I can do that, but do I really need my address on it? I don't really care, but do I need it? I figured I can just make another flyer come spring time.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Professional heads up: Dont leave them in mailboxes. The only person who is supposed to get into mailboxes is the owner and the mailman. not only would you be not paying postage, but then when the old ladys social security check goes missing, who is on the blame line?

Just saying because ive seen it happen, and the mailman isnt being a d!ck, hes doing his job, and sometimes we have "the bad people" follow us around and make sure we are enforcing that.

The official postal policy is we are "supposed" to take them all out of the mailbox, bring them back to the post office , and then the postmaster sends you a bill for postage due.

I hate to bring this up, but the Vanlife or whoever they were had a gofundme page, didnt they? I think what you are trying to do is a more worthy cause.

Try it and see what happens. Its not like someone is gonna come and beat the crap out of you for doing it, im sure someone will flame you for it, but at the end of the day, you are trying to do something positive.

EDIT: I just read a few pages back. The secret to luring Robbie back is grilled "red meat". not red as in steak, more like Hellboy red. Thats what the Robbie likes!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
I hate to bring this up, but the Vanlife or whoever they were had a gofundme page, didnt they? I think what you are trying to do is a more worthy cause.Try it and see what happens. Its not like someone is gonna come and beat the crap out of you for doing it, im sure someone will flame you for it, but at the end of the day, you are trying to do something positive.
Thanks Yarkle, that means a lot. I actually did know about the flyer thing, I think I'll tape them to the inside of the storm door.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

To add to Abscate’s reply. Lose the VW angle. You will turn off someone that thinks old VWs are cheap hippie cars and not down with hippies. Most people who will use your services are probably 50+ years old. One they can afford it and two they can’t do it themselves.
Just say you are restoring a car. The DIY/good responsible kid thing will be enough give you a shot. Just use a picture of you so your potential clients see you as a nice neighbor boy. Perhaps an action shot of you shoveling snow so people understand you mean business and know proper snow shoveling techniques. And if you wear that stupid Cubs ball cap in the picture I’m going to slap it off your “Nutmegger” head Laughing Good luck, work safe.

Not like this dude Shocked

https://i.imgur.com/BtuyxLV.gifv

Also make sure you and your client have the same expectations. And tell them
If they not satisfied with the job, that you will be Johnny-on-the spot to fix it. You want some good word of mouth going around the hood.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Alright, lose the VW parts of the flyer. Don't wear my cubs hat in the photo Laughing , and make sure to do the job right. I'm also having a friend come over tomorrow and he wants to help, so we're splitting 50/50. We'll see how that goes... I'll try to get an action shot tomorrow so I can get them on flyers for the next storm. By the way Xevin, I almost died watching that video Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Jesus Mary and Joseph does it cost that much to shovel snow?

*insert every bitch and moan about California’s “high gas prices” here*

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Yeah Robbie, a few companies I've seen get about $150 a driveway I think. Here's the updated flyer... now it'll be me shoveling instead of that stock photo.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Up your prices by 10% then offer a 10% discount for veterans and seniors and the hook Wil set nicely.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan Abscate. Wouldn't those be some weird prices though? It'd be like $27.50 regular or $25 military/senior discount
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I would drop the prices. You want to position yourself as a good deal compared to the competition.

I would say $20 even, not add the higher prices for larger driveways - maybe put $20 for a standard double driveway - also I would put the discount for Seniors, Vets or Disabled - Say $15 per driveway.

That will likely spike the interest. You want volume at least to start. Once your reputation is out there and the price is good, word of mouth and references will help to build your business.

Later you can up the price a bit. Your costs are virtually $0 - just your time.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Just did one sidewalk for $20.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Just did one sidewalk for $20.

There you go! It's a start. Just put the money in your piggy bank and don't spend it all on Starbucks Latte's Smile
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Jesus Mary and Joseph does it cost that much to shovel snow?

*insert every bitch and moan about California’s “high gas prices” here*

Robbie

You guys charge $15 to get 'access' to San Onofre Beach - then you don't even go in the water because its too cold...I talked the gate guy into a freebie though....you have to know these things to be a King
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Well that was that... no one else wanted my services. Until the next storm...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: