Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

I'm attempting to remove my rusty cylinder 3-4 engine tin with the engine in place.

I don't have a driveway, so I can't easily drop the engine. The bus is also parked far away from home, so I generally try to figure out what's required for the next job beforehand, so that I don't drive to where the bus is in vain. And hence this question Smile

I had a quick look at it yesterday before I drove back home. I think this can easily be done, but there are a couple of things I could not figure out. I hope the picture illustrates them. It marks the bolt locations in the blue circles:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

• The way I see it, the front tin needs to be removed, as it sits on top of the cylinder tin. But does the front tin need to be removed too, or can the cylinder slide/be pulled to the front once the front tin is out?
• Can the two bolts at the back of the cylinder tin be accessed from the top of the engine? I didn't look at it closely yesterday, but I seem to recall there is little to no room there, as the front tin curves forward on top of those.

Decode your M-Plate

Last edited by furgo on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

I think I can answer one of my own questions. By looking at this picture of the front tin, it would seem as the two bolts at the back of the cylinder tin can only be accessed from underneath the engine (the two bottom left holes in the picture):

Which if I'm not mistaken, will in turn require removal of two other pieces of tin from underneath (bolts being discussed marked in blue, additional tin removals marked in orange):

I'm still not sure though: the piece of tin marked as "32" in the picture above (021 119 361 B) has the threads for the bolts, which would hint at the bolts coming from above instead, so that their heads hold the top pieces of tin. However, I can't see a way to access the two bolts from above...

Or are there two nuts on the front tin? It would seem redundant, but I still don't quite grasp how the two rear bolts are fitted.

Decode your M-Plate

Last edited by furgo on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

You are correct about removing the forward lower engin tin. It can be done, certainly helps to have a second set of hands to help align the firewall, big tin and lower piece.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

Very Happy We just finished installing all that and do not see any top tin wear that needs to be bolted from the bottom,

Way back when -I did a cylinder change with the engine in and only had to release the shift rod and drop the rear carrier- this allowed the engine to "sag" on its front mt without damage and saved a lot of time.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

I’ve removed every tin (except #36) with the engine in the bus. Removing is the easy part, wrestling the tins to match each hole with the engine installed is a bitch. If you’re attempting to remove the 3/4 head you may want to pull the engine with most of the tin and exhaust in place. I didn’t listen to reason and found out the hard way. You’ll soon bond with your engine with all the grappling, tugging and subtle pushing of the tins to get them on right. It’s an experience I don’t want to relive.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Very Happy We just finished installing all that and do not see any top tin wear that needs to be bolted from the bottom,

I've found an old picture of the bottom of my bus. These are the bolts that I mean. I thought they match the position of the holes on the 3-4 cylinder tin and thus they hold it in place, but I might also be wrong.

CarlosZ wrote:
I’ve removed every tin (except #36) with the engine in the bus. Removing is the easy part, wrestling the tins to match each hole with the engine installed is a bitch. If you’re attempting to remove the 3/4 head you may want to pull the engine with most of the tin and exhaust in place.

Thanks for confirming. If it's doable without dropping the engine (not even a couple of inches), I'll go for it. I'll just have to find out myself what's up with those two bolts.

To be clear, I'm not attempting to remove any heads. I know some people do it themselves, but that would be something I'd bring the bus to a shop for. I'm simply attempting to remove the rusted 3-4 cylinder tin. While I'm there, as I already removed the intake runner to replace its boots (and a brittle phenolic block), I'm just trying to find out if it's possible to remove that tin without a major intervention.

Decode your M-Plate
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

Some of the tin holes are threaded. The tin with the blue arrows is joined with the big 3/4 tin. You have to remove the two screws from the top of the 3/4 tin (the two closest to the firewall - between the hump on the 3/4 tin where spark plug #3 and the firewall meet)
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

CarlosZ wrote:
Some of the tin holes are threaded. The tin with the blue arrows is joined with the big 3/4 tin. You have to remove the two screws from the top of the 3/4 tin (the two closest to the firewall - between the hump on the 3/4 tin where spark plug #3 and the firewall meet)

Thanks. This has been my question all along: I don't know how to remove them. If there are two screws on top, I didn't recall being able to access them from the space between the cylinder tin and the firewall tin, as it's a very small gap and IIRC I couldn't see any screws there. Again, I might be wrong there, though. When I last was at the bus I wasn't looking for the screws, but I did clean up that area of grease, so and that's what I remember.

Decode your M-Plate
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

This may help. Sorry for the poor explanation.

furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

Oh, awesome, thanks a lot for taking the pictures, they're really helpful indeed!

Unfortunately, I'm still none the wiser. I've got another picture of the back of the cylinder tin, and the two screws definitely cannot be accessed from within the engine compartment.

I wonder if they need to be unscrewed from the back of the firewall tin from underneath the bus. I guess I'll have to do some crawling tomorrow...

Or does the whole set of engine tins need to be removed to remove the cylinder one?

What also confuses me a bit is that looking at my bus' picture from the last post in my case the screws come not from the top as in your pictures, but from underneath as hex bolts + washers. Which is weird, given that the thread is on tin piece #32. Your pictures look more like it should be to me.

Decode your M-Plate
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Oh, awesome, thanks a lot for taking the pictures, they're really helpful indeed!

Unfortunately, I'm still none the wiser. I've got another picture of the back of the cylinder tin, and the two screws definitely cannot be accessed from within the engine compartment.

Looks like your tin is bent towards the back, and covering the machine screws -- which have been traded out for bolts from below--sorry but looks like a hack.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Looks like your tin is bent towards the back, and covering the machine screws -- which have been traded out for bolts from below--sorry but looks like a hack.

I don't dispute that there are hacks in my bus Smile

Good point about the screws having been traded out for bolts from below. However, I can't quite follow how you mean the tin has been bent. Which one, the cylinder tin or the firewall tin?

I generally recognize hacks, but I can't see anything wrong with neither of them from the top. What should they look like instead?

Update: in fact, looking at this picture of the firewall tin again, I don't see a way the screws should be accessible from the engine compartment. The bottom lip of the firewall tin is bent to the outside, so unless I'm mistaken, they can only be accessed from the outside, i.e., from underneath the bus, behind the firewall tin.

I also found an old photo from that area. I think I've now figured it out, and I'm also fearing engine tin #32's threads rusted out at some point, so someone had to fit the bolts from the bottom and I'll probably find the nuts on the other side.

Decode your M-Plate
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

I realized I gave you bad info. Three tins are mated by the two screws. You access them from under the bus, by the valve cover.

furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

Excellent, that's exactly what I needed, thanks!

I really appreciate you taking the time to put together the tins for the pictures.

That confirms what I was suspecting on my last post and finally answers the question of where to access the two cylinder tin screws from (the back of the firewall tin).

As per the other question of whether the cylinder tin can be removed with the firewall tin in place (once the front left tin has been removed), I think the last picture might also confirm that. From what I see, as long as the two back screws (and the rest) are out, the cylinder tin can be pulled towards the front. Update: actually, scratch that. It can't be pulled towards the front, as the intake runner studs on the cylinder head would prevent that. Oh well, I guess I'll have to try and wiggle it a bit to see if it comes out.

I'll report back.

Decode your M-Plate
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

Shocked Carlos hit the nail- That is exactly what we have here- because my build is on the engine stand and accessible from on top- sorry- for the miss--- Embarassed any way- if the motor seal were pulled back, those screws that Carlos pictured should be visible from on top- yours are modified to make it easier to remove all that tin from the bottom.

I put studs on my small valve covers to the front shroud /heater box connections for the same reason.

Keep the pics flowing.

Don't step in any!
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

Well, progress... somehow.

The threads on tin #32 were indeed gone, either to rust or thanks to a PO. As soon as I get the new tin, I'll get rid of the bolts-from-bottom-top-nuts contraption. It took me more than half an hour to remove them and more bus arm yoga poses that I was comfortable with.

That meant I ran out of time and I couldn't finish the job. That is, I did remove the bolts, just to find out that #32 tin piece was somehow stuck. From that position, and with the amount of rust involved, I could not tell exactly how. It would seem that rust has fused the part where it contacts the 4-tin sandwich (tin #32, heater box tube wing, cylinder tin, firewall tin).

I could not apply much force to pull it, as there is not much of a leverage point or room at all (the tin touches the case). I'll try again next time.

Decode your M-Plate

Last edited by furgo on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

Today I realized why I had not been able to separate tin #32 from the cylinder tin last time. It was not rust, a PO had point-welded the two tins together near the bolts...

After doing some tin cutting I could set them both free without damaging the cylinder tin. Tin #32 didn't look too good at the end, but I've got a new replacement for it anyway. So done with crawling and now the easy bit: undoing the cylinder tin from the top.

Or so I thought. The bolts/screws that attach the tin to the case wouldn't come out. I had soaked them in penetrating oil last week, and did again today. No chance.

One of them seemed to move a bit without an inordinate amount of torque though, so I tried to undo it back and forth. It broke.

This has been a bit of a frustrating job. The reason I wanted to remove the tin was to better remove the broken TS2, or alternatively move it to the cylinder #4 location in case I wouldn't manage. I've now ended up with a broken TS2 and bolt.

I'll keep soaking the rest of case tin bolts for a few days and try again even more carefully :/. I was surprised to see the bolt breaking though, I'd expected them to be more robust (as I say, I applied what I felt wasn't a massive amount of torque).

Decode your M-Plate
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Today I realized why I had not been able to separate tin #32 from the cylinder tin last time. It was not rust, a PO had point-welded the two tins together near the bolts...

Oh yay, another shade tree genius making life difficult for us.

As a matter of course, I strip down engines in the car, and that left side tin sandwich has always been the difficult spot. With a stubby screwdriver, you normally can loosen those two upper-to-intermediate tin screws.

When putting it back together, there is an actual sequence to the stack of four different components. The below is an engine that has not been disassembled since it was built at the factory:

The sequence of parts from top to bottom is:
1) heater pipe bracket
2) front tin
3) upper cylinder cover
4) intermediate tin with the captive nuts

Because people love to bend these things every which way, you may find that they spring out of alignment. Use visegrips and an awl through the holes to put back together in such circumstances.

First, you cramp the awl up one of the holes, then you trap the sandwich of tins with the visegrips. Start that screw. Once it is started, bring it down only enough to lightly hold the sandwich together. When you release the visegrips, the sandwich will likely shift. Use the awl to index the other hole and visegrip again. Tighten the first screw. Now try to start the second screw.

I know you are further down the pike with all that, but this is for other readers.
Colin

furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
furgo wrote:

Oh yay, another shade tree genius making life difficult for us.

You're too kind, I'd have other things to say about him, but I better keep them to myself...

Amskeptic wrote:
As a matter of course, I strip down engines in the car [...]

If I ever get to that stage, and assuming a) rear left tin b) intermediate lower left tin with captive nuts and c) all cylinder tin screws/bolts have been removed... does the front tin need to be removed or loosened to take the cylinder tin out? I still can't figure out how the cylinder tin can go past the intake runner studs.

Amskeptic wrote:
The sequence of parts from top to bottom is:
1) heater pipe bracket
2) front tin
3) upper cylinder cover
4) intermediate tin with the captive nuts

Excellent. I've updated my initial diagram with this info:

Amskeptic wrote:
I know you are further down the pike with all that, but this is for other readers.

Unfortunately, while I've done that part, I'm not yet further down, as I wasn't expecting the bolt-eating engine case. In any case, your post has already helped me: on my bus, the heater pipe bracket was in position 2) and the front tin in position 1) instead.

Thanks for pointing out the right sequence.

Decode your M-Plate
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Removing cylinder 3-4 engine tin Reply with quote

a right tin diagram would be cool too!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: