Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct valve clearance?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

First time adjusting my valves. I feel comfortable with the process but am seeing conflicting info on the correct clearance setting. The owner's manual and VW Service manual both say set the valves at .004. Bentley and most on-line "how to" videos say .006. Which is correct? Engine is a stock crate engine built by CPR, 1600 single port.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

0.006".

If you are new at this, it is nice to have a "go-no go" feeler gauge.

http://www.autozone.com/clamps-and-measuring-tools...e/1928_0_0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

Thanks Randy! I have adjusted valves on other cars so I am comfortable using the standard gauge, just wanted to be sure I was using the right one.
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

Some after market cams specify setting of .004, Just thought I'd kick in my 2 pennies worth. Good luck on your project!
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

Thanks.... stock cam (or at least it was supposed to be).
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

Waaay more likely to burn your valves, likely exhaust, at .004 than at .006. It runs cooler but clatters more at .006.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

I think the .004 was for sodium filled valves.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:

Ahhh, no. The type 4 bus (1800) engine spec'd .008". This could be at allow the exhaust valve to rest on the seat a bit longer?
Bill.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

Vw used to have different clearances for exhaust/intake. Eventually they just recommended everything 006. The conflicting lower clearances are from old sources.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

I do 0.006 on intake and 0.008 on exhaust on my 1800
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Vw used to have different clearances for exhaust/intake. Eventually they just recommended everything 006. The conflicting lower clearances are from old sources.

And... they opened it up a bit for some wiggle room since so many owners failed to EVER get their valves adjusted...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
lil-jinx wrote:

Ahhh, no. The type 4 bus (1800) engine spec'd .008". This could be at allow the exhaust valve to rest on the seat a bit longer?
Bill.

I stand corrected.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

The camper special kit asks for 0 (zero) lash. Why would this not result in the exhaust valves being burned. What is the difference here, just looking at the old and new parts out of the bus, there does not seem to be a huge difference.

Just a regular guy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
The camper special kit asks for 0 (zero) lash. Why would this not result in the exhaust valves being burned. What is the difference here, just looking at the old and new parts out of the bus, there does not seem to be a huge difference.

Steel aftermarket verse the OEM aluminium pushrods, steel having a lesser amount of thermal expansion.

Some people set the valves at .002" of lash when using steel pushrods as doing so allows the valves to close fully during warm up.
roadron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

my 73 1700 owners manual actually calls for .004 and that's what I use. my valves rarely go out of adjustment and when they do they go a little loose. go figure !

Last edited by roadron on Wed May 17, 2017 6:55 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

My remembrance was that the .004" valve clearance was for a Type 1 engine with 10mm head studs. Been lots of years so I could well be wrong.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

roadron wrote:
my 73 1700 owners manual actually calls for .004 and that's what I use. my valves rarely go out of adjustment and when they do they go a little loose. go figure !

No it doesn't.
Colin Razz
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
My remembrance was that the .004" valve clearance was for a Type 1 engine with 10mm head studs. Been lots of years so I could well be wrong.

All Type 1 engines with the rocker studs (vs through-bolts) were .004" until the Great Valve Burning Era in the late 60s.

Turns out that the high volume dealerships were not doing valve adjustments stone cold as specified. No, they would start up a VW, drive it from the lot into the bay, adjust the valves to .004" and the valves would be too tight. The aluminum directly under the rocker supports would expand within just the two minutes or so of driving into the dealer bay, thus lifting the adjusting screws away from the valves, giving an artificially higher valve clearance.

So, the .006" clearance specification was born to give the engines a chance.

The .008" clearance was used on the earlier 40 horse rocker assemblies and on the sodium valves used in the '74 Type 4 engines.
Colin
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

So, the .006" clearance specification was born to give the engines a chance.

"Loud tappets save lives."
roadron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Correct valve clearance? Reply with quote

[quote="Amskeptic"]
roadron wrote:

No it doesn't.
Colin .... just checked and it is a manual printed by KAMPERS in England so not factory manual. they do specify .004 and that is what I've been using
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: