Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie Clutch/Gear Issue
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dash76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Newbie Clutch/Gear Issue Reply with quote

The weather was good yesterday so I decided to drive my '69 Karmann to work, but came home with the help of a tow truck.

The problem is that taking off from the traffic lights, I went from 1st gear but couldn't get in to 2nd (or any other gear for a matter of fact). The only gear I could remotely find was reverse but it would just grind and not engage, so I didn't push it further. Strangely, after getting home, with the engine not running, I could locate the gears. As and added kick while I am down, after being towed about 1 mile, Karmann wouldn't start so I don't know if it would engage when running.

I checked the clutch cable and it is not broken. Somewhere mentioned the gear shift coupler too. I looked at that and the 'pin' seems to move depress the clutch and move the gear stick. The reality is though, i don't know what I am supposed to be looking for.

Any smart ideas? Am I simply up for a new clutch? Any insight a source to why the car won't fire up after a very short tow? It turns over but just doesn't quite get started.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Clutch/Gear Issue Reply with quote

Sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging when you try to shift gears. How much free play (amount of travel before you start to feel resistance) do you have at the clutch pedal? There should be about 1/2"-3/4" (12-19mm) if everything is adjusted correctly. Even though you said that the clutch cable isn't broken, a couple of the cable strands might've snapped and allowed the cable to stretch a bit. Another issue could be that the clutch cable guide tube in the tunnel might've come loose from one of it's mounting points. Either one of these conditions will result in much more free play at the clutch pedal and could cause the shifting problem you described.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Clutch/Gear Issue Reply with quote

I know that ADJUSTING THE SHIFTER PLATE ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... can often cure the problem of grinding into a specific gear, but I'm not certain if it can help when there is grinding into most of the gears.

As you can see from the video linked above, adjusting the shifter plate is pretty simple and straight forward so it may be worth giving it try.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Clutch/Gear Issue Reply with quote

Yes, after installing the shifter, many times there will be shifting issues. It's usually as easy as adjusting the plate as KGCoupe stated above.
Dash76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Clutch/Gear Issue Reply with quote

Thanks. The is a bit over an inch of free play in the clutch, so the easiest maybe to tighten that up either via the cable or plate. I'll try to find time to look this.

It is not that it grinds getting into gear, it is more that it simply won't go in to gear when the motor in running. It did feel like it 'popped' out of gear before the last gear change then simply not re-engage.

It seems the consensus is though, it doesn't seem to be the clutch is completely gone?
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Clutch/Gear Issue Reply with quote

Dash76 wrote:
Thanks. The is a bit over an inch of free play in the clutch, so the easiest maybe to tighten that up either via the cable or plate. I'll try to find time to look this.

It is not that it grinds getting into gear, it is more that it simply won't go in to gear when the motor in running. It did feel like it 'popped' out of gear before the last gear change then simply not re-engage.

It seems the consensus is though, it doesn't seem to be the clutch is completely gone?

If your shifter is popping out of gear, I strongly suggest you try what was already suggested by xzener and check the shift plate. It just may be the cause of most of your problems.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Dash76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Clutch/Gear Issue Reply with quote

So this all sounds promising and not like the whole gearbox like I feared.

I'll keep you updated as I move along but are having other issues with the car (subject of another thread) and also struggling to find time to tinker.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: