Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to fix engine cover insulation?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfelzq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

I purchased this Vanagon and did a total engine rebuild. The engine cover is in bad shape. As you can see in the picture, it's gotten a little too hot. Now when I put it down, some of the insulation always falls onto the engine. Do you guys have any suggestions for what to recover it with or replace it with?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Specifically, that part in the top left keeps raining down black particles.

Thanks for all your help
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

I pulled that off, and added FatMat sound deadening. Some claim it'll drip tar, I haven't seen any yet.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

https://www.summitracing.com/search?PageSize=100&a...insulation

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

I replaced my crumbling, oil-saturated foam with two 1/2” layers of dense, closed-cell EVA foam, used for fitness-room flooring: http://amzn.to/2pXmIde

Easy to cut to size and shape, and after four years has proven to be oil-resistant. It’s perhaps no quieter than the original, but will not absorb oil or fuel to create a fire hazard. I suggest contact cement, as a couple other adhesives I used did not last: http://amzn.to/2qSBF4Y
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread.
I had the same issue, I replaced the oil soaked insulation with Fat Mat. The cover seems to be cooler, little less noise, and the cover is much lighter

[img]
[/img]
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

Dynamat hood liner and aluminum tape, made a big difference in sound:

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

Plastidip spray in grey is what I used.
EASY- Clean with solvent, spray.

Three years later, still looks new.

This seals up the dry crumbly bits and puts a new skin
on the foam.
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
I replaced my crumbling, oil-saturated foam with two 1/2” layers of dense, closed-cell EVA foam, used for fitness-room flooring: http://amzn.to/2pXmIde

Easy to cut to size and shape, and after four years has proven to be oil-resistant. It’s perhaps no quieter than the original, but will not absorb oil or fuel to create a fire hazard. I suggest contact cement, as a couple other adhesives I used did not last: http://amzn.to/2qSBF4Y

Which size sq ft did you use?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

You can buy a set of four 2'x2' panels at HF for somewhere around $9, which is more than enough to fit the lid. I'm thinking about using that stuff to insulate the bulkhead above the transmission.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

andrew163980 wrote:
Which size sq ft did you use?

Sorry, I don't recall how many sq. ft. I bought; I'd just measure up the cover. I used two layers of the 1/2" stuff. As you can see, like the original, I had to cut a few relief areas to clear some engine components.

Hope this helps!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

Based on the excellent information in this thread I successfully completed my own lid re-insulation project. It really quiets things down nicely. It's not as clean looking as some of the others, but it certainly does the job.

y u rune klassik?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

Looks good. I still wonder about any foam based product being susceptible to fire vs the aluminum/ceramic/fiberglass type products.
(of course you've got a diesel, so much less danger there!)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm a little paranoid about the foam separating and then dropping on to a hot turbo

y u rune klassik?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

I would use the Lead vinyl sound insulation foam.
Or also call mass-loaded sound insulation.
It is probably what Summit Racing sells.
Basically it is two layers of foam sandwich with a sheet of heavy vinyl in the middle. One side would be covered with an aluminized or mylar sheet.
You buy a roll of mylar tape to seal the edges.
I've done whole engine rooms using this on the walls and deckheads.
It works fairly well. Use 3M Contact spray adhesive.
The mylar facing on it protects the foam from the oil sprays and mists that comes off engines.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--noise-control-barrier-material--P006_180_006_004

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

The close cell EVA foam is heat resistant enough? That is my only question. I was envisioning doing the layer of fatmat...

Thanks
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Looks good. I still wonder about any foam based product being susceptible to fire vs the aluminum/ceramic/fiberglass type products.
(of course you've got a diesel, so much less danger there!)

Ditto.

I pulled a chunk of the OE foam off my old lid to increase clearance a bit, and decided to touch a lighter to it.

I was lit and burning on its own in one second flat! No oil soak either.
I can only imagine how many small engine fires lit the lid foam up to disastrous results.
I'm actually shocked VW put that foam there, and this is not something more widely talked about. Perhaps there was a flame resistant coating on there long ago?

Folks who have replaced theirs with another foam product - did you try the material with a flame test??
With the reputation vanagons have, this is no place for distinctly flammable materials, IMO.

Guess I'll have to find something good.
vrgruver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix engine cover insulation? Reply with quote

The engine insulation in cars is supposed to also act as a fire smothering blanket. On cars, the plastic attachment plugs are made to melt easily with fire allowing the insulation blanket to fall onto the engine and smother the fire.
Sheets of this can be found at race shops.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: