Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

norman wrote:
Did anyone catch the vin on this?

I keep seeing on different sites that it's the second oldest Samba but I have still yet to see anyone quote the vin

I'm nearly sure there is a picture of the plate in last months edition of the UK magazine "VW Camper & Bus". I have passed it over to my friend to read. I will see him this weekend and check out I'm not dreaming.

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. Jean-Jaques Rousseau
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

https://www.magzter.com/preview/5147/227551#page/1

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

There's a tiny picture of the VIN plate, but no mention yet of the actual number.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As others, Im not feeling it for this bus
Too far gone
It then becomes one of those bland sterile Reshells, doesnt it? A VIN Donor.
All its early fingerprints (original detail/authenticity) lost

Although I guess if that considerate magician Spicer gets commissioned it stands some chance!
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

ya it's too far gone and should be left as is and put in a museum. maybe build a new one with all gerson metal and just use the vin plate ? and put it next to that heap in the museum ? just a thought. like a before and after Smile
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

some people have more money then they know what to do with I guess.. but I see absolutely no purpose in restoring this bus... pointing at it when done and saying.. hey.. see that vin plate.. and 4 inch of metal around that tail light.. thats the 2nd oldest bus made..
David Eccles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

This is what I have been told by Florian
chassis #20-015448, dating from 27th August 1951 and delivered one day later to the Autohaus Fleischhauer in Cologne
which puts it in the first 100 built if it is true (I have no reason to believe otherwise)
There is allegedly one older one in existence somewhere, but no-one seems to know any verifiable facts about that one...and there are conflicting stories about its authenticity - but again these are just what people say or think.
Busben is spot on about how things can go into print or on social media and become taken by many as fact and there would appear to be a whole lot of misinformations/misunderstandings/misconceptions about this bus in circulation in the media ...
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Perhaps because there is so little of this "bus" left the article should have been titled "is this the World's second oldest VIN plate in existence" Cool

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Davydomes wrote:
Perhaps because there is so little of this "bus" left the article should have been titled "is this the World's second oldest VIN plate in existence" Cool

Uhh, no. Just the second oldest SAMBA VIN plate. There are some 1950's out there. I think one 1950 Kombi nearby to me in the Midwest of the USA. Certainly not sold at any dealer here.
(Almost all early VW's were brought to US by returning US servicemen.)
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

I will echo the sentiment that this bus should be kept as is. I mean, once finished what exactly will be original metal - 10% of it, if that? Glad that it was found but all you really have is a vin plate. Sad
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

I guess we'll see what is actually left of it once they start the process of recovering what is left of the original metal. Right now it is just a mass of rust. The existing side wall might be salvageable and there are other parts on it that might be possible to save. Or it might all turn into dust when hit by the sandblaster.

I remember reading through the long thread in which the 1938 Beetle was restored and when they showcased what they were able to save of the car "as found" it was pretty much just a damaged shell and some bits and pieces. Most of the restored car is not original. But at the same time, it is cool to have an actual 1938 Beetle in existence, even if most of it is not original.

When you are dealing with vehicles this old and this rare, you restore whatever you are able to save.

At any rate I look forward to seeing what they actually CAN save of this bus as it appears to be a very rare bus indeed.
1978 Volkswagen super beetle convertible
1992 Eurovan 2.5 5spd westfalia
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

This bus actually looks better than a couple of the "out of the swamp" barndoors that have been brought back to life on here. More stuff there and it appears to have an engine even.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

chrissev2 wrote:
This bus actually looks better than a couple of the "out of the swamp" barndoors that have been brought back to life on here. More stuff there and it appears to have an engine even.

What a prize that motor is. Oh, this bus is VERY far gone. I think a lot worse than the helicopter one.
Al
Vanagons:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Now a year and months later there is immense progress on this thing and what nice work they are doing.
This bus is in exactly the right hands.
It might be near 50% new metal when done but there is VERY MUCH of the original there.
Inspiring for us all.
Al
Vanagons:
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Davydomes wrote:
Perhaps because there is so little of this "bus" left the article should have been titled "is this the World's second oldest VIN plate in existence"

Wink
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
some people have more money then they know what to do with I guess.. but I see absolutely no purpose in restoring this bus... pointing at it when done and saying.. hey.. see that vin plate.. and 4 inch of metal around that tail light.. thats the 2nd oldest bus made..

The restorer actually managed to save quite a bit of the original frame. And the original motor and gearbox, and large parts of the axles. Apparently it also came with almost all of its original windows, save one corner plexiglass window which is shattered. However, the restorer, true to form, is collecting the shattered pieces of that plexiglass, so as to put them back together.

The bus is not being repainted or "restored" per se. It is being re-assembled, "as is" with new parts where required, and old parts cleaned of non original paint, repaired where necessary and otherwise left "as is".

This is a very interesting project to follow and I would suggest that anyone who doubts that this bus can be brought back to life, needs to read the very detailed build thread.
nzvwfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Where can we view the thread on the rebuild ?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

https://blog.entfallteiledienst.de/

the link from post 1 on page 1 re-directs there as well

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
nzvwfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Thank you
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

I have been watching Florian every week, following his updates and articles. As someone mentioned here this bus is in right hands. It will take some time but at the end, I am sure, it will look amazing.

Keep it up, great work!
ratmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Nice to meet you @ spa Florian, keep on the good work Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: