Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

100% agree Ben.
Always found it very convenient that the only two known BD 15 windows (I don’t know much about the gravel pit bus, and there not much to go on from the pictures Razz ) had had there roofs replaced in the past Rolling Eyes Wink

I can also confirm that both my 51 and 52 came back with 24A on the birth certificate.
My 52 had;
24A, VW-eight seater with Sunroof.
I challenged this at the time with photos of the vin Tag (24S) etc and received another certificate with 24A, VW Micro Bud De Luxe.
They also told me the same as Ben that they would not change the 24A to 24S and even if they would there was no allocation of 24S available on their records.

So I agree, all 51 and 52 deluxes, whether 15 window or 23 should have 24S stamped on the vin tag and 24A on the birth certificate.
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:
So I agree, all 51 and 52 deluxes, whether 15 window or 23 should have 24S stamped on the vin tag and 24A on the birth certificate.

Agreed Rob, except that a 15 window would surely never have started life as a 24A sunroof bus, hence my belief that they were almost certainly never built by volkswagen in the Barndoor era.

Post 55 you could order a 15 as a 23 window deluxe with the M130 (?) code for sunroof / skylights delete, but never as a Barndoor.

I believe a 24a birth certificate with an S vin tag, like the ‘51 bus, is definitely an early 23.

I believe that a 24s birth certificate with an S vin tag, like the ‘52 bus, is an unlikely anomaly given the info from the museum and factory and maybe just “human error”.

If someone shows me a factory photo of a production line 15 window I’ll be very happy to believe that my ‘53 is a factory conversion of an 11 window non sunroof bus; (certainly plausible given the conversion of sunroof 11 windows to 23 window deluxes, but impossible to confirm without the presence of an “S” stamped vin tag); but knowing that dealers sometimes employed local coach builders to satisfy the tastes or demands of particular customers, this seems the most likely scenario to me since no others survive but vintage photos of other, more obviously coachbuilt, examples do exist. If Søren Madsen ordered a 15 window from his local volkswagen dealer in January ‘53, and subsequently collected his brand new 15 window from the dealer in February ‘53, well, that’s good enough for me, whether it was converted by the factory or the dealer ……

Unicorns eh ….. Laughing
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Of course. That makes sense. A 15 window would likely start as a 22A not a 24A.
I’m so happy the Gravel pit bus has fallen to you. Can’t wait to see that one done dude!
I guess during the restoration it may come to light how ‘factory’ vs ‘coachbuild’ the corner and rear windows look. I doubt a coachbuilder would weld in a rear from a samba so they should have a unique cut and panel beat signature I would imagine?
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: 15ws Reply with quote

It’s good to have honest discussions on those two “15 Windows”. Their history is a little murky…and don’t believe all you read in the magazines.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by RockStock on Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:44 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Reassignment to 23w Reply with quote

So to summarise the theory:

In the very early days of the 23w, 1951/52, metal-finished Barndoor Sunroof Standards (model 24A*) were re-routed on the production line to be hand-made into 23-Windows.

>Fourth side windows added
>Rear corner windows added
>Rear window enlarged
>8 skylights added
>Full width dash added

*24A = Micro Bus, Loading doors on right, with sunroof, LHD (known now as a Standard)

The VIN plate was then riveted on with 24S as the model type (S standing for Sonder/Special)…but the factory build-records still state the bus as a 24A.

I wonder if this picture hints at the 23w rework area? Would have to be taken in the deep skylight era.

Another theory is option code M51 could translate to ‘Convert to 23w’

Last edited by RockStock on Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:23 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: 20-017894 Reply with quote

To add to this, I’d like to mention Barndoor Deluxe VIN 20-017894…
This is the one that Rob (Lowdown Dirty Rat) epically rescued in Greece.

Photos from Jason Stratton show it being dismantled.
What some people found interesting is the Dove Blue showing through as apparently the base colour.
Bulkhead, engine bay, tool chest, heating duct…

Was it a fully-painted Barndoor Kombi Sunroof (model type 25A), rerouted in the factory to be revised into a 23w?

Or was it painted Dove Blue after its reassignment into a 23w?
It’s unclear if the red is factory SWR paint.

I’m unsure as to the current condition of this bus.
Maybe you could say a truly accurate restoration would see it painted Dove Blue first - under a SWR/CB coat

Last edited by RockStock on Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Fantastic information for sure

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

This is great information.

Does anyone know what the premium was for for a 23w over a regular old microbus if they were on the showroom floor? Seems like a super labor intensive process to build (and possibly paint) a bus and then blow it back apart to add the deluxe windows

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reassignment to 23w Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:

In the very early days of the 23w, 1951/52, metal-finished Barndoor Sunroof Kombis (model 24A) were re-routed on the production line to be hand-made into 23-Windows.

>Rear window enlarged
>8 skylights added
>Full width dash added

The VIN plate was then riveted on with 24S as the model type (S standing for Sonder/Special)…but the factory build-records still state the bus as a 24A.

I wonder if this picture hints at the 23w rework area? Would have to be taken in the deep skylight era.

Wow.. This sounds like it could be so accurate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Yes that’s how I have it Chris.
I’ve never heard the M 051 idea before but both my 51 and 52 had that M code on the birth certificates. Listed as ‘Provision for twin generators’.
My old 51 was in dove blue originally yes. Almost like it was the primer. Then it was actually yellow as it’s believed it served at the same school as the 53 Greek deluxe that still sports those colours today. I have a vintage picture which we think has both buses together parked outside the school.
This the most recent picture I have of my old 51.

I’d love to think those factory picture are a working ‘special’ section. Interesting how they seem to be doing something to the samba roofs on the deck though. Not on the buses. There is also a rear hatch Standard there too. The pickup suggests it’s quite late in the deep skylight story though if that’s when it was?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

I keep seeing 24 being referred to as "kombi", but wouldn't it be sunroof microbus? (either standard or deluxe) Kombi is model 23. (I know, confusing with 23 window versus model 23 being 10 or 11 window).

So some of model 24 are just model 22 with a sunroof, correct?

How do the early sunroof standard microbuses fit into this? The one in Arizona is from June 1951, and The one in Brazil is from September 1951, and has a full dash, although it is not the earliest style of full dash.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=663137

What is the earliest known sunroof kombi having ever existed? were there any of them in '51/'52?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Model Types Reply with quote

You’re right, Lind
24A is a LHD Standard with Sunroof, cargo doors right
(I’ve amended my posts)

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:
Both my 51 and 52 had that M code on the birth certificates. Listed as ‘Provision for twin generators’.

The twin generator thing is a red herring - this will be a late model Split Bus option. The factory appears to have no correct listing for the early options.

This is Ken King’s late Deep Skylight Deluxe - 1953 (I think Deep Skylights ended Feb/March 53).

This bus got reshelled.

Last edited by RockStock on Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:53 am; edited 4 times in total
Florian Kalff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:

I’ve never heard the M 051 idea before but both my 51 and 52 had that M code on the birth certificates. Listed as ‘Provision for twin generators’.

Also my Samba 15448 has M 051 mentioned in the Wagenstammkarte, but I seriously doubt that all these Busses had a ‘Provision for twin generators’. Why should they? Twin generators make sense with Police Busses or Firetruck or Camping. But a ´51 Samba? A Bus intented to be a pure demonstration car?
Frankly speaking, there seems to be a big mess regarding the M-codes when it comes to very early cars. I have seen lots of Birth Certificates listing nonsense M-codes....
I guess M 051 was something else back in those days. What about Hella foglights? 15448 had it and due to some vintage pictures a lot of other BD-Sambas too.
Brian_1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Reassignment to 23w Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:

In the very early days of the 23w, 1951/52, metal-finished Barndoor Sunroof Kombis (model 24A) were re-routed on the production line to be hand-made into 23-Windows.

>Rear window enlarged
>8 skylights added
>Full width dash added

Wow.. This sounds like it could be so accurate
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Florian Kalff wrote:
Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:

Also my Samba 15448 has M 051 mentioned in the Wagenstammkarte, but I seriously doubt that all these Busses had a ‘Provision for twin generators’. Why should they? Twin generators make sense with Police Busses or Firetruck or Camping. But a ´51 Samba? A Bus intented to be a pure demonstration car?
Frankly speaking, there seems to be a big mess regarding the M-codes when it comes to very early cars. I have seen lots of Birth Certificates listing nonsense M-codes....
I guess M 051 was something else back in those days. What about Hella foglights? 15448 had it and due to some vintage pictures a lot of other BD-Sambas too.

I was aware the early M codes were incorrect and it wasn’t what was listed.
I don’t think it was fog lights though. Pretty sure my buses didn’t have them and to constantly see it written in the headlight bucket makes me think it was something more substantial.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: 20-017894 Reply with quote

Yes, foglights are too insignificant to be written in the bowl.
My money is on there being no M51 option listed for any late model “the refined era” Barndoor Deluxe…

Florian, it is well-known on this forum that the known M-Code definitions are Split Bus era (post ‘55) - and not Barndoor-correct.

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:
This the most recent picture I have of my old 51

*On the lhs

This will have had a reshell, won’t it.
Would be good to see the interim pictures. Got any?

Such a shame the unique fingerprints of these early Deluxes are being lost.
Makes the true Survivors more valuable.

Last edited by RockStock on Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 20-017894 Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:

Would be good to see the interim pictures. Got any?

I bet we wil never see them. Rolling Eyes Laughing
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Laughing Thought I’d sneak in a public request
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Deluxe Micro Bus discovered - Second Oldest Samba Reply with quote

Volkswagen reused M-codes throughout production. There are plenty examples of them issuing birth certificates in the '55-'67 era where they are listing a bay window or beetle M-code description that is obviously inaccurate.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: