Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did I just do??
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

While waiting for parts to try to fix the front end shimmy on my 72 super, I decided to remove the carburetor to clean it. That done, I reinstalled the carb, put everything back together in the engine, then tried to fire the engine up to see if it idles any better.
When I tried to start the engine, the starter cranked for about 1/2 second, then just stopped, like something was binding up. I tried a few more times, same thing. I then went to the back of the car and tried rotating the engine by hand. When I did this, it started feeling like it was binding up at a certain point although I could still rotate it-- also when I reached this point I got a "fizzing" type sound, like something under pressure leaking, best way I can describe it. Eventually though the binding spot seemed to disappear, so I tried starting the engine again and it came alive, and idled just fine. Did not really hear any issues with the engine running.
However when I went back around to the back again, there were a couple of noticeable puddles of gasoline on the floor under the back of the car which greatly worries me- I have run this car several times already and nothing like that appeared before.
The ONLY thing I can think, is that I had dropped a torque converter bolt inside the bell housing when I was installing the engine a couple weeks ago, but it didn't seem to be causing a problem; however with the car's front end jacked up maybe it "repositioned" itself and jammed the torque converter until the cranks finally worked it loose?
But what did I do to cause the gas puddles?? And what was that "fizzling/ leaking" sound when I was rotating the crank?? I will say when I noticed the gas puddles, I felt around the fuel pump and it certainly felt like gas was leaking out around the pump-- but if I screwed up the pump how would the engine have been running OK?
HELP!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Check for gas in your oil. IT sounds like you hydro-locked a cylinder with gas and when you cranked it over by hand it pushed the fuel past the rings. When you pulled the carb did you stick the fuel line in the intake to prevent it from dripping on the ground or something?

brad
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Check for gas in your oil. IT sounds like you hydro-locked a cylinder with gas and when you cranked it over by hand it pushed the fuel past the rings. When you pulled the carb did you stick the fuel line in the intake to prevent it from dripping on the ground or something?

brad

No, I stuck a golf tee in the hose to plug it. The car was running absolutely fine before this, and the ONLY thing different about trying to start it this time was the front of the car was higher in the air. That's it, nothing else was different between this time and the last several times I have run it since the engine was installed. How could this cause what happened?
And, since the engine did eventually start and run, is it OK to run it or did I do some kind of internal damage??
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Where's the torque converter bolt now? Is it going to jump around in the housing when you drive it? I'd look into this if it can cause issues later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

That'a fucking great- it looks like the engine is toast. It tries to crank and immediately stops. If I keep at it it will eventually start and run, but it blows a bunch of gas out the back somewhere, puddles of gas on the floor.
What the F^&-- ALL I did was jack the front end up to work on it, and removed the carb to clean it. I have removed the carb dozens of times from my 69 and never had an issue like this. I did not do ANYTHING differently- what gives???? !!!!! Mad
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Where's the torque converter bolt now? Is it going to jump around in the housing when you drive it? I'd look into this if it can cause issues later.

I'm assuming it's still in the bell housing, where it's always been. That's the least of my concerns right now- I see absolutely no way it could have caused this unless it was some kind of residual effect from it interfering with the torque converter, but it had ZERO problems running with it in there up to this point- hard for me to believe it suddenly jammed the TC.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

I'm assuming it's still in the bell housing, where it's always been. That's the least of my concerns right now- I see absolutely no way it could have caused this unless it was some kind of residual effect from it interfering with the torque converter, but it had ZERO problems running with it in there up to this point- hard for me to believe it suddenly jammed the TC.

I was only making a point to not ignore it if it can cause issues later.

If the engine was working then work your way backwards at what has changed and look at it. That's all I can say. Hopefully others with more experience can chime in. You'll get it figured out. Besides, from what I have seen on here that is a rebuilt engine, yes? It's probably something small.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wet_bread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Remove the plugs. Crank by hand.

Approach methodically.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Just read another thread covering the same issue:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433189

vamram wrote:
I removed the plugs and was immediately able to manually rotate, w/some effort, the crankshaft pulley. #1 was full of gas and immediately sprayed it out against the side firewall, and #3 had quite a bit as well. So I then cranked it w/the starter per the Dr, put it all back together, and was able to start it again!!

What a relief! I know how it got that way too, I think. I had it parked on a 45* incline for 2-3 hours and I think just thru pure gravity the gas kept flowing thru the fuel pump and up into the carb, flooding the cylinders and the engine thru the intake manifold.

Wow--does simply having the front end higher than the rear for a while really cause gas to flow through the pump and down the intake hydrolocking the engine???
So if I remove the plugs and get the gas out by rotating the engine, and then drain and replace the oil, I'd be good to go??
Please let me know EVERYTHING I need to check if this is the case--thanks
wet_bread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Required reading topics:

Head pressure.
Volkswagen anti-percolation systems.
Gravity.

Edit: is there an echo in here???
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674876&highlight=
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Since this started when you rebuilt the carb, I'd seriously suspect the problem is coming from the carburetor. You might have gotten a bad float valve or the float could be sticking, or if you replaced the float maybe a leaking float. It wouldn't be the first time someone has gotten a bad part in a carb rebuild kit.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Just read another thread covering the same issue:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433189

vamram wrote:
I removed the plugs and was immediately able to manually rotate, w/some effort, the crankshaft pulley. #1 was full of gas and immediately sprayed it out against the side firewall, and #3 had quite a bit as well. So I then cranked it w/the starter per the Dr, put it all back together, and was able to start it again!!

What a relief! I know how it got that way too, I think. I had it parked on a 45* incline for 2-3 hours and I think just thru pure gravity the gas kept flowing thru the fuel pump and up into the carb, flooding the cylinders and the engine thru the intake manifold.

Wow--does simply having the front end higher than the rear for a while really cause gas to flow through the pump and down the intake hydrolocking the engine???
So if I remove the plugs and get the gas out by rotating the engine, and then drain and replace the oil, I'd be good to go??
Please let me know EVERYTHING I need to check if this is the case--thanks

yup.
Need a real OG fuel pump with a check valve, and aftermarket check valve installed in-line somewhere, or else maybe you replaced the needle valve with a garbage one from a cheap kit? All depends on the severity of the incline too. My driveway is steep as hell, parked the bug on it ONCE and got the same results as you, gas shooting from the tailpipes, gas in the oil. The street in front of my house is a slight incline, maybe 15* or less, no issues when I park there.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Take a breath, don't throw your Zund-built engine under the bus...you're on the right track in your thread search.

You may remember my "hydrolock summer" thread from last year...I had a couple of different causes.

1. I believe the first was a bad needle valve. I changed out the fuel pump at one point but I really think I was just throwing parts at it out of frustration at that moment.
    2. Clogged fuel evaporation system hard line causing pressure in the fuel line. This was the really weird killer one for me - I replaced all of the fumes evap system soft lines in the trunk and at either end of the hard line under the car on the way back to the charcoal canister. Once the temps got into the 90's consistently w/in a day or two of doing so, I had two hydrolock episodes w/the car on a flat surface after sitting for hours in the hot sun. Turns out the hard evap line in front of the front firewall was clogged w/years of gunked up gas tar or whatever it becomes over time. As a result, pressure in the tank was building enough to flood my intake.

I used an air compressor to find the clogged segment, cleared it out, problem solved. Haven't had a recurrence since, even w/the car parked on an incline.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

just remembered most generic carb rebuild kits come with 2 washers that go under the needle valve. On some carbs you use one, some the other, and some both. Read the instructions from the kit carefully and double check you have the correct spacing. Otherwise when the bowl fills the float isn't closing that valve all the way and gas continues flowing into the carb.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

I actually kept the same needle valve in the carb, with the same washer (single .5 mm washer for 34 PICT 3.) It appeared to work just fine.
Again the engine ran absolutely fine before with the same carb, I did not do anything to the carb except clean it out and make sure the jets were clear- I did replace the intake gasket and lid gasket but that's it. The carb is not the issue, it's something else.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Take a breath, don't throw your Zund-built engine under the bus...you're on the right track in your thread search.

You may remember my "hydrolock summer" thread from last year...I had a couple of different causes.

1. I believe the first was a bad needle valve. I changed out the fuel pump at one point but I really think I was just throwing parts at it out of frustration at that moment.
    2. Clogged fuel evaporation system hard line causing pressure in the fuel line. This was the really weird killer one for me - I replaced all of the fumes evap system soft lines in the trunk and at either end of the hard line under the car on the way back to the charcoal canister. Once the temps got into the 90's consistently w/in a day or two of doing so, I had two hydrolock episodes w/the car on a flat surface after sitting for hours in the hot sun. Turns out the hard evap line in front of the front firewall was clogged w/years of gunked up gas tar or whatever it becomes over time. As a result, pressure in the tank was building enough to flood my intake.

I used an air compressor to find the clogged segment, cleared it out, problem solved. Haven't had a recurrence since, even w/the car parked on an incline.

I am not "throwing his engine under the bus" at all. I am just trying to figure out what happened. I have not checked the fuel evap line I guess I could look at that- but AGAIN PLEASE LISTEN TO WHAT I AM SAYING-- the ONLY difference between the 5-6 times I started and ran the engine with ZERO problems up to this point, and the issue I am having now, is that the front of the car is up higher in the air. Ran absolutely fine before with the same carb, and the same evap line. So the only real thing I have left to think is that somehow fuel leaked downward from the tank and locked the engine up- but I need to know exactly why. People are saying bad needle valve but a) the car ran fine with the same needle valve before this and b) I had the carb off the car for most of the time the front end was up in the air, so it would have had to have happened in a very short period of time.

I also need to make 100% sure it is still OK to run this engine if I get the gas out and change the oil.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

how old is the fuel pump? If the carb was off the engine, and the front end was raised, then the only way you are getting hydro locked is if gas was flowing to the fuel pump and leaking through a torn diaphragm and absolutely FILLED the crankcase, seeping past the rings and filling the cylinders. If the fuel line coming off the pump was plugged with a golf tee then this is the only way for gas to have gotten into the case.

asiab3 wrote:

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
how old is the fuel pump? If the carb was off the engine, and the front end was raised, then the only way you are getting hydro locked is if gas was flowing to the fuel pump and leaking through a torn diaphragm and absolutely FILLED the crankcase, seeping past the rings and filling the cylinders. If the fuel line coming off the pump was plugged with a golf tee then this is the only way for gas to have gotten into the case.

i thought about this and I actually had the car's front end raised up for about a day before I took the carb off. So it's possible that the fuel flooding occurred whiel the carb was still on- and the fuel pressure held the needle valve down and flooded through the carb and intake-
I actually bought the pump as NOS so it has not been used hardly at all, but I'd probably be better off removing it and checking it anyway. I hate to say it but wetbread brought up a good point about me posting earlier about my 69 having trouble restarting when I was parked on an incline, as though the spark plugs were getting wet with fuel. I have the same Brosol made in Brazil pump on both, maybe the lack of a check valve in these pumps really is an issue. The super beetle's front end is higher off the ground anyway even sitting flat--so it may not take much for the gravity-fed flooding to happen in those.
But, once again, will it be OK for me to run the engine once I have gotten the gas out of the cylinders and changed the oil? Is there anything else I need to be inspecting before trying to start the engine again?
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
but AGAIN PLEASE LISTEN TO WHAT I AM SAYING-- the ONLY difference between the 5-6 times I started and ran the engine with ZERO problems up to this point, and the issue I am having now, is that the front of the car is up higher in the air. Ran absolutely fine before with the same carb, and the same evap line. So the only real thing I have left to think is that somehow fuel leaked downward from the tank and locked the engine up- but I need to know exactly why.

Physics, you increased the suction pressure to the fuel pump and carb by raising the front end to the point that the system equalized itself by flooding the engine. A couple people have already explained this, I guess if you want one of us to provide the mathematical equations you will have to provide the measurements and length/diameter of the fuel system pieces (including orifices) along with the distance you raised the front end of the car.

In the future a set of vice grips and pinching the fuel line between two flat plates will prevent this.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Is there anything else I need to be inspecting before trying to start the engine again?

I agree: try not to panic.

I'd get a socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt and turn the engine with a wrench a bunch of times. Maybe pull the plugs to do this too, and will be easier.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: