Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did I just do??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Nah, it's just another typical train wreck SB001 thread. Someone once told him in one of his MANY threads that it's was time for him to sell his VW and buy a Honda. It's the best advice I've seen given in his threads. Wink

Come on don't be all butthurt that I have owned my bug since new and you have not, which gives me more right to ownership than you.

This is true. The longer an antique economy car has been in the family (whether running or not), the smarter the current title-holder becomes. Very Happy
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Somebody asked what happened to johnnypan. As a trained mechanic with years of experience and regardless of his winning ways his advice was sound. I miss him, he did have a valid opinion.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Somebody asked what happened to johnnypan. As a trained mechanic with years of experience and regardless of his winning ways his advice was sound. I miss him, he did have a valid opinion.

I completely agree. theSamba needs JP.

SB001 wrote:
Come on don't be all butthurt that I have owned my bug since new and you have not, which gives me more right to ownership than you.

Ok, I was taught to drive in a '58, a '66, a '67 and a '70 by my various older brothers and sisters when I was - yes - 12 years old. And I've owned 6 bugs, currently two. Don't I have historical/inherited ownership rights too...? Crying or Very sad Shocked

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I "heard" that there was/is an Internet stalker who has caused him a lot of trouble in real life, so he quit posting anywhere.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
sb001 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Nah, it's just another typical train wreck SB001 thread. Someone once told him in one of his MANY threads that it's was time for him to sell his VW and buy a Honda. It's the best advice I've seen given in his threads. Wink

This is true. The longer an antique economy car has been in the family (whether running or not), the smarter the current title-holder becomes. Very Happy

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Ever read his thread on towing home a poptop camper?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Ever read his thread on towing home a poptop camper?

Whose?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Too bad he always fucked it up with all his BS.

johnnypan's problem was that he would only be civil to other people who also had 30 years of experience or were bona fide certified VW mechanics at some point. So while he may never have offended you, anyone else that posted on here trying to solve a problem was target practice. And then he was surprised to find out I wouldn't put up with it. You say "regardless of his winning ways" but what was the point of his "winning ways" anyway? Why couldn't he just lend his expert opinion and leave the other crap out of it? Riddle me that.

And it's too bad that now obviously there are others who have decided to try to follow in his footsteps.
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

As a worthless POS once said ... "Elections have consequences. Deal with it."
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

johnnypan's problem was that he would only be civil to other people who also had 30 years of experience or were bona fide certified VW mechanics at some point. So while he may never have offended you, anyone else that posted on here trying to solve a problem was target practice. And then he was surprised to find out I wouldn't put up with it. You say "regardless of his winning ways" but what was the point of his "winning ways" anyway? Why couldn't he just lend his expert opinion and leave the other crap out of it? Riddle me that.

And it's too bad that now obviously there are others who have decided to try to follow in his footsteps.

Ok so he was a little rough around the edges but if you got past that he wasn't as bad guy. I think he liked the verbal sparring and one-upsmanship
People come here for a variety of reasons and they are not one dimensional characters. I've made lots of mistakes myself, just sayin. Very Happy
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Luft kühl wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

As a worthless POS once said ... "Elections have consequences. Deal with it."

How do you "deal w/it...?"

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Ok so he was a little rough around the edges but if you got past that he wasn't as bad guy. I think he liked the verbal sparring and one-upsmanship
People come here for a variety of reasons and they are not one dimensional characters. I've made lots of mistakes myself, just sayin. Very Happy

You have to love Notchback's signature line:
"zeen wrote:
Arguing with johnnypan is like mud-wrestling a pig. After a while you realize he just enjoys playing in the mud, winning the contest is not the point."

Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Got home from work today about 4 and built your short block, took just shy of two hours hours start to finish, soon we will be waiting on parts . Need a flex plate and oil pump gaskets. Very Happy you got new rod bearings this time. Look at the old ones.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That old Santana pulley is used for assembly purposes only checking freedom of movement
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

A few pics along the way this time we clearanced the cam bearing for better oiling.

You have a stock +3 cam

Using a nice torque wrench which has been properly calibrated

Forge marks up numbers together and up dowel pins toward flywheel, same every time.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Only wild card was I stopped by the beer store and got a nice ale to go along with this. Tank 7 by boulevard brewing checks out at 9% alcohol, pretty stout don't worry I only had 3 Very Happy
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Tank 7 by boulevard brewing checks out at 9% alcohol, pretty stout don't worry I only had 3 Very Happy

That's a great brew! What causes the rod bearings to look so trashed after a short life?

Robbie
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Only wild card was I stopped by the beer store and got a nice ale to go along with this. Tank 7 by boulevard brewing checks out at 9% alcohol, pretty stout don't worry I only had 3 Very Happy

You only had 3, but do the math--------3 x 9%= 27% Shocked
Now that's a stout ale.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Tank 7 by boulevard brewing checks out at 9% alcohol, pretty stout don't worry I only had 3 Very Happy

That's a great brew! What causes the rod bearings to look so trashed after a short life?

Robbie

What we are seeing is dirt and contamination that has been embedded. A pretty good argument for full flow oiling or even a filter pump would help here. We reused the old bearings last time and I just couldn't do it a second time.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

You only had 3, but do the math--------3 x 9%= 27% Shocked
Now that's a stout ale.

Worked out though finished up just as I felt slightly impaired. Now I'm in my easy chair Very Happy done.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just do?? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Robbie

What we are seeing is dirt and contamination that has been embedded. A pretty good argument for full flow oiling or even a filter pump would help here. We reused the old bearings last time and I just couldn't do it a second time.

They don't look far off these bearings I took out at 30k because I had the case apart for a cam/lifter issue.

(Don't know why I can't find the missing bearings……)

How many miles would you guess are on those old bearings, then?

Robbie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: