Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop top seals
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IFBwax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Pop top seals Reply with quote

Mine are looking kind of ragged.. have any of you ever used this one?

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=WESTYRUBBER

Is the install as easy as it seems? No glue? Like that.

Thanks!

www.partypickle.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have any experience with that...but if my memory serves me correctly, I think I've seen posts here on the samba about using the door seals off of a jeep that you can get in any junkyard...you may want to do a search.

Cheers,
Mike
Birdibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for that kit.

I bought the goWesty seals, and don't like the glue or the bulb seal on the luggage rack. I cut the bulb away. With the bulb in place, water and debris collects beneath the luggage rack. It also requires you to remove interior screws, lights, trim, headliner, etc. to loosen the luggage rack bolts. After removing the bulb I was able to pry the U shaped seal into place with a flat ruler, no messing with the rack.

The Bus Depot luggage rack seal does not have the bulb. Save yourself the hassle, and get the BD kit.
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last week i saw that seal kit in action and i say bus depot on this one, this time. i was moved.
Mr Blotto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the exact kit on my Westy last spring - took no more than 15 minutes to install - no problems yet - go for it!!!!

SEE THE UGLY BEAST BEFORE!!! www.frappr.com/sambabaywindowforum/photo/380133

AND AFTER http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/285472.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IFBwax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I found a winner. Thanks all!!!!

www.partypickle.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
I think I've seen posts here on the samba about using the door seals off of a jeep that you can get in any junkyard...

Those'd be my posts, and I think I might've even mentioned it to you at one of your Lucky Lab appearances. Very Happy Yeah, for the perimeter of the poptop a pair of Jeep Cherokee doorseals can do the trick. The ones I used came from a 2-door, but the front seals off a 4-door should still be long enough.

They work well for the luggage rack too, but you need to either cut the bulb off entirely, or cut it off in a few strategic spots (lower corners) for drainage. My rack has that annoying buzz at certain speeds, so I mostly left the bulb on to keep it quiet.
carlivar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips on what seals to get for 68-73?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlivar wrote:
Any tips on what seals to get for 68-73?

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=231069710

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=231070709

Thses did great on my '70. Remember that the luggage rack should not be sealed on our Buses.
jasonwlangley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've asked before about the busdepot's canvas, particularly thier own branded one.

it just seems strange that they are so much cheaper and i was wondering about fit as well as durability. anyone tried thier canvas?

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=231069708

thanks.
slaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed this canvas on my 69 for it's first camping trip this weekend. The install was relativly easy. Do not wrap the canvas around the staple strip. I fudged and forgot to do it on mine and I'm glad I didn't, the canvas at the back of the tent is tight, the front not so much, but the cavas looks great! (much better than the ripped up top it replaced!) The canvas is very good quality, and the zipper at the back is very nice I would have liked to see a bigger sized zipper on the side windows too, but that's just me. I will post pictures of this weekends campout as soon as I get the shots downloaded. Good luck.
slaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the picture at the campsite.. I like the top canvas. The widow is diffrent from the one they show on the BD site.... We bought it over a year ago and just put it in last week!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
slaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received word that I'll be getting my seals for the top from Bus Depot on Monday, I'll post pics when I get them in. ( I painted the top before I put the new canvas in) The old seals were in such bad shape there was no point in re-installing them.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you use to paint the top?
slaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned it, sanded it lightly, then shot it with a single stage primer.
I Wet sanded the primer, then shot it with Centari Acrylic Enamel (040 white W8430A)

After 1 wet coat, I turned down the pressure at my gun and completly misted it with "spatter" Same color, same batch.

The finished result is very small, uniform, bumps. Not as drastic as a rhinoliner, and certainly not smooth. I sprayed the luggage rack two years ago as a test (and because I didn't have a god replacement fiberglass pop-top at the time (original was cracked and the wood was rotten in spots)

The luggage rack has held up very well, no cracks, no peeling and the texture is beautiful. I can get a clos-up of the "texture" if you like.
jasonwlangley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slaw wrote:
I just installed this canvas on my 69 for it's first camping trip this weekend. The install was relativly easy. Do not wrap the canvas around the staple strip. I fudged and forgot to do it on mine and I'm glad I didn't, the canvas at the back of the tent is tight, the front not so much, but the cavas looks great! (much better than the ripped up top it replaced!) The canvas is very good quality, and the zipper at the back is very nice I would have liked to see a bigger sized zipper on the side windows too, but that's just me. I will post pictures of this weekends campout as soon as I get the shots downloaded. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. It looks really great on your bus. Mine definitely needs one soon.

I can't quite tell in the photo, but it has the two side windows as well as the big one in the back, right? Also, do the screens on the windows actually zip open as well as the canvas fabric?
slaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pop top has three windows. The rear window has a top zipper and velcro sides. I was a bit disappointed to see the velcro, but it actually works very well. The screen in the rear also unzips to access the luggage rack. These two zippers are large, which is nice. The two side windows have two smaller zippers each, one on the top, and one down the vertical. The screens do not unzip, no big deal there, you don't need to grab anything to the side of the top. I am very satisfied with the top. I will need to look for trim to cover the staple strips, and I need a new fringe, but that's it.... Can't wait for U.P.S. tomorrow! (new pop-top seals!)

Applause
jasonwlangley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slaw wrote:
The screen in the rear also unzips to access the luggage rack.

That's what I was wanting to know.. Wink

Thanks again.
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am expecting the BD canvas tomorrow and I've installed their pop-top seals. With a rubber mallet in hand the seals took me a few minutes.

It looks great and keeps water out. I like it.

Thanks for the tips on the canvas!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Birdibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw someone selling fringe in the samba classifieds about a week ago. They seemed to have a bolt of it and are selling it by the foot. The ad didn't specify fiber content. I believe the original is acrylic, but I'm not sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: