Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What not to do!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: What not to do! Reply with quote

Ok, thought I'd start a, "What not to do!" thread. I love my VW's. Aircooled, watercooled, for me it really dosen't matter. As long as it has a VW sign, and VW parts I'll drive it with a grin. TheSamba.com is a great resource for all of us, but what I think it lacks is a thread(s) on things you shouldn't do on a VW. Not only list what not to do, but list also why, or what the results are from doing it, so without further delay this is my, "What not to do"....

Never put Champion spark plugs in a Bay Bus. Pep boy was fresh out of all spark plugs and I had no choise at the time. My Bus ran ok, (just ok) for about three days before it started missing and running super sluggish with very low torque. I will be installing Bosche plugs as soon as I can get soe at my local stores.
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1979 Volkswagen Transporter
1973 Volkswagen Thing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bezzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aint it so. My 914 came with Champion plugs, and it did not start or run. Put one Bosch plug in and she ran on one cylinder(skip skip skip bang), second Bosch, two cylinders, well you get the picture. At first I could not understand why it would not start, she had spark at distributor, then I pulled the POS plugs and she runs like a super star. Wink
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your time with any plugs other than NGK.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't cheap out. buy the best quality parts available so next time you need something, the good stuff will still be available. the more people who try to cheap out and buy garbage replacement parts, the more impetus the parts suppliers have to bring crap to the marketplace.

also don't forget to support your local shops. this might sound strange coming from someone who runs an online business and has customers who come from all over the world, but we have lot of local customers too and the only way to ensure these the local business will be there for you when you need them, is to support them. even if it costs a few bucks more, give them the business and it will benefit you in the long run.
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
don't cheap out. buy the best quality parts available so next time you need something, the good stuff will still be available. the more people who try to cheap out and buy garbage replacement parts, the more impetus the parts suppliers have to bring crap to the marketplace.

also don't forget to support your local shops. this might sound strange coming from someone who runs an online business and has customers who come from all over the world, but we have lot of local customers too and the only way to ensure these the local business will be there for you when you need them, is to support them. even if it costs a few bucks more, give them the business and it will benefit you in the long run.

x2

This is why I don't mind and never get upset when I have to take my bus to the shop. Though it's frustrating paying for repairs, I know that I am helping them stay in business and continue to stock hard-to-find parts. I'd hate to think how life would be if there wasn't a local VW shop to get me out of tough situations when myself or my friends have hit an impasse.

My contribution is directed at those who wish to do T4 to T1 conversions:

If you feel that you absolutely *have* to do this for whatever reason, please make sure that you purchase a fiberglass conversion tin from Creative Car Crafts to help the T1 motor stay cool. When I bought my bus, there was a hacked aluminum metal "tin" that didn't cover the whole area, had no engine seal, and wasn't keeping any hot air out. The poor bug motor could barely breathe and constantly overheated.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget to cover the intake manifold when you take the carbs off... Brick wall d'oh!

and DONT forget to tighten down those wheels, even if its the maiden voyage...lucky me i was only a block and a half from home.... Embarassed

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Don't waste your time with any plugs other than NGK.

I find the Bosch Nickle coppers (any category) to be as good or equal to NGK (W7DTC's especially)...which is all I use on type 4 engines. NGK are good...but no better in quality than Bosch. It matters the series. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont put the fuel filters in the engine compartment.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Dont put the fuel filters in the engine compartment.

Ha, ha! Good one!
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1979 Volkswagen Transporter
1973 Volkswagen Thing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sawsalesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't post engine questions without letting others know what you have for a motor in your bus.
cr@M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIOMX wrote:
germansupplyscott wrote:

x2

This is why I don't mind and never get upset when I have to take my bus to the shop. Though it's frustrating paying for repairs, I know that I am helping them stay in business and continue to stock hard-to-find parts. I'd hate to think how life would be if there wasn't a local VW shop to get me out of tough situations when myself or my friends have hit an impasse.

You're both completely right. That's also why i refuse to shop at Wal-Mart.

"He who fights with monsters must see to it that he himself does not become a monster...
when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont over rev or lug you VW at all....

not much of a thing to not do while working on it, but something to not do while driving.

btw, where is the sweet spot that i would want to be cruisin at around town? 78 westy fi 2.0, i usually try to get it around 1800-2500, sometime when im trying to get heat in the bus, around 3-4000. wheres a good spot? wheres a spot that would count as over revving?

Stuart

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cr@M wrote:
RIOMX wrote:
germansupplyscott wrote:

x2

You're both completely right. That's also why i refuse to shop at Wal-Mart.

wal mart wont let me shopt there....i got kicked out... Evil or Very Mad

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEVER put more than 9 foot pounds of torque on the type 4 sump bolt.
blitz18qb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your time prying the springs off of drum brake assemblies with 2 screwdrivers or screwdriver/plyer combo's. Buy the $7 tool thats designed to take them off and more importantly put them back on.

Do not test an alternator by taking the terminal off the battery and seeing if the motor dies.
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

x2... Embarassed

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
I suppose that's what happens when one drives a passion wagon, which comes factory-fitted with a double bed.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and also, do not repeat anything in here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55591

actually this thread and that one are very similar...

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
I suppose that's what happens when one drives a passion wagon, which comes factory-fitted with a double bed.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

Man I used to see that all the time back when thay were new. Time to pull the engine down. Shocked I would tell some guys when thay would bring them to me.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
no i don't, fuck off.

You're like the brother I never had. Very Happy
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont let your bus run low on oil. or fill it too full.

Stuart

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: