Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Liability for Tires
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

Criminal Liability, not just civil

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35591647-75...bridge.csp

The 3 year jail sentence here was for bald tires, but it's not hard to see it happening for driving on old tires too.

Or maybe your engine fire burns somebody else...
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

I agree with the commenter, "That's a darned short sentence for someone with a long history of drunk driving who spits in the face of the law by continuing to drive after losing his license".

As an avid bicycle commuter, I'm pretty sick of the hand slapping that negligent drivers get for killing people who chose not to use a motor to get places.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

I agree.

Mostly on topic, many around the globe wonder just what happened here as well. I hope for their sake the driver simply screwed up, for if so we in society have to allow some grace for human errors we're all capable of:
http://m.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/39959770

But in the case at top, I have little to no sympathy.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

If the perp in Portland had been locked up for three months for every violation he would have been off the road for ten years and might have learned a lesson by now.
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I agree.

Mostly on topic, many around the globe wonder just what happened here as well. I hope for their sake the driver simply screwed up, for if so we in society have to allow some grace for human errors we're all capable of:
http://m.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/39959770

But in the case at top, I have little to no sympathy.

Man, that is a frickin shame! He is a successful athlete in one of the most dangerous sports in the world and gets taken out by a car while cycling.

I wish Nicky a speedy recovery!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

On coming car turned hard left into me while riding, broke me back in three places. Driver got a ticket, and was sued, but she could keep driving, although her insurance rates probably went sky high.

If you want to murder someone, hit them with your car, and claim you didnt see them, youll get a ticket, and higher insurance premiums, but no jail time. Laughing

penalty for seriuos harming someone would be after a ban on driving, a probation period of driving a car with no seat belts nor air bags, nor doors, with a grossly detuned motor, and dragging brakes.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
On coming car turned hard left into me while riding, broke me back in three places. Driver got a ticket, and was sued, but she could keep driving, although her insurance rates probably went sky high.

If you want to murder someone, hit them with your car, and claim you didnt see them, youll get a ticket, and higher insurance premiums, but no jail time. Laughing

penalty for seriuos harming someone would be after a ban on driving, a probation period of driving a car with no seat belts nor air bags, nor doors, with a grossly detuned motor, and dragging brakes.

Just like the cars driven here
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

Maybe not the case here but.....

In my experience locally here in NJ cyclist forever cry "foul!" About cars and sharing the roadway.

BUT

They often completely overlook NJ's cyclist handbook about how to cycle on a public highway!

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/bike/pdf/bicyclingmanual.pdf

They run STOP signs
Cycle on the wrong side of the road AGAINST traffic
They run red lights
They cycle 2, 3, 4 abreast
They cycle in "gangs" monopolizing a roadway
They come up between cars at a multilane highway stopped at an intersection to get to the front of the line, and then are in the center of a highway when traffic starts moving!
They use their cell phones while cycling!
They act like a pedestrian riding in a pedestrian crosswalk

In general they demand "we" share the road but they then go on to break almost every rule written for bicycles and get all pissy about cars.

You want the "rights" of a shared highway and avoid injury?
Follow the rules of the road like any other vehicle using it.

For example....
I'm stopped at a STOP sign intersection with my right signal on, I get a chance to go and begin to go just as a cyclist comes up on my right side blind spot, doesn't stop and makes a right turn with me (or worse yet goes straight!) Who's the idiot here!?

I respect their vulnerability on their chosen mode of transportation and don't act aggressively towards them but come on people!
Safety is mainly your responsibility accomplished by following highway rules.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

Thank you Dave,
Same arrogant cyclists exist here.
Not to detract from the initial posting in any way, but cyclists today have no respect for the rules of the road.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I'm stopped at a STOP sign intersection with my right signal on, I get a chance to go and begin to go just as a cyclist comes up on my right side blind spot, doesn't stop and makes a right turn with me (or worse yet goes straight!) Who's the idiot here!?

I respect their vulnerability on their chosen mode of transportation and don't act aggressively towards them but come on people!

Dave

I tend to agree, we get a lot of "I own the road" cyclist here. I pulled up to a four way stop and waited my turn to make a left. Just as I was ready to go an approaching cyclist ran the stop sign opposite me and then stopped in the intersection directly in my path. He stayed in the way until his girl friend who was 200 or so feet behind him arrived and passed through the intersection without having to stop. I am sure that this guy and his buddies have seen quite a few single fingers and that having curse words fly is a normal part of their cycling adventure.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

FWIW, around here you don't need to be an offensive cyclist to draw the demonstrative ire and punitive tactics of the drivers: it's enough that you are on a bike.

Too, many drivers are so insulated from their environment no effort to gain their attention short of screaming seems to work to let them know another vehicle is present.

Constant eye movement seems too much to ask.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

In my experience locally here in NJ cyclist forever cry "foul!" About cars and sharing the roadway.

BUT

They often completely overlook NJ's cyclist handbook about how to cycle on a public highway!

They run STOP signs
They run red lights
They come up between cars at a multilane highway stopped at an intersection to get to the front of the line, and then are in the center of a highway when traffic starts moving!

In general they demand "we" share the road but they then go on to break almost every rule written for bicycles and get all pissy about cars.

For example....

Dave

what an ass you have become.

driver made an illegal turn and broadsided me while I was legally in the bike lane, another time a guy rolled a stop sign in his car and struct me while I was in the intersection on my bike. I had no stop, had right of way. Only a concussiin and broken thumb on that one. or my cousin that was killed when riding when struck by a car that suddenly pulled out of a lot into his path.

lets not mention the nurmerous close calls, car running stops, many time the bitch or son of a bitch is staring at their damn phone, not looking at the road. had that happen just recently, had to serve into a traffic lane to avoid contact with the phone gazers damn car.

yeah bitch about the bikes you jerks.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

Just expressing my personal experiences here in NJ.
And yes, we have many A-hole drivers who drive without a clue about what/who is around them.

I darn near had a head on collision because of a gang of bikes taking an entire roadway on a blind turn.
I was coming at them as an impatient driver passed on a blind curve! A couple of bikers nearly bit the dust as the oncoming car swerved into them to avoid me!

Its a two way street with no driver or rider being totally innocent or at fault.

The car was an ass for passing, the bikers were asses for ignoring the law and riding 5 abreast.

I'm glad you're a good rider, I'm a good driver but we are surrounded by Those who are not either.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

Let us all take a breath please.

I am a rider and a driver.

I have seen more cars/trucks doing shit things than I want to have seen. I have also been run off the road on my bike, while doing nothing to offend a vehicle. There are too many on each side who have developed disgust for the other, and that tends to be the start of a kind of line in the sand for each.

Generally speaking, as cyclist, I am angered by those other riders who are purposely riding side by side in order to force autos to go around, or worse, just have to slow to their pace as there may be no way to go around. This brings a general ire from the auto folks who have been in situations like this. I get their ire even doing nothing but riding appropriately.

On the other hand, a bicycle rider is supposed to abide by the same rules on the roads as the other vehicles. Means they pass and are passed legally as if it were any other vehicle. They are to stop at the same stops, turn with a signal, etc. I do see more cyclists break those kind of rules more often than autos. It is a very dangerous thing for all of us.

Lets just remember we all have our faults. Nobody does everything exactly right all the time.

Now, exhale.

Regarding all of those folks who have been hurt, or have died from vehicular collision, I am truly sorry, and hope that there are ways to reduce or eliminate these from happening.

To the OP, I do wish there were better ways to keep criminals from continuing their life endangering ways. I had a professor in college that once remarked the following:

"If there were a law set in place that anyone stopped for drink driving, and executed on the spot if found to be guilty of such, the rate of drink driving would immediately reach near zero"
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

What does this have to do to do with Vanagons? This should be in the "Chit Chat" thread or over in '' Off topic " somewhere.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

The OP has to do with the proclivity of many Vanagon owners to drive on unsafe tires - often too old or not rated for the load.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
The OP has to do with the proclivity of many Vanagon owners to drive on unsafe tires - often too old or not rated for the load.

I'm sorry, where do you get your data for this observation?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

I'm kinda with djkeev on this one.

Tonnage rules. As an avid bicyclist that has more money in bicycles than cars, I could care less what the rules of the road are. I'm out to protect myself. I too see all too often that cyclist believe they own the road and take advantage of it too often. As far as I'm concerned, I will stay out of a cars way and I expect for them to stay out of mine.

As long as cyclist 'own the road' they will continually frustrate a driver with a much larger object than theirs.

As far as I'm concern, until a bicyclist pays for road taxes, they should make a small foot print to allow others to pass.

If the rules were like it was when I lived in Japan, I tell you, you would get out of the way of a car.

IBTL
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

BUT

They run STOP signs
They run red lights

For example....

Dave
Well said, I agree. I also ride a motorcycle as well as cycle and drive 4 wheel cars. These days, cyclists do things I would never do. And just because a cyclist uses their arm signals doesn't mean they have the right of way!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Liability for Tires Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
And just because a cyclist uses their arm signals doesn't mean they have the right of way!

WRONG! If a cyclist is obeying the law & using arm signals, they DO have the right of way.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: