Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worn Out Horn Ring on Steering Wheel
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Worn Out Horn Ring on Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Popped the wheel off to see just why my horn decided to randomly honk.

I was figuring it was the spring finger had broken, as I knew it was getting worn.

Turns out, it is the contact ring on the wheel itself!

Is this thing easily removeable/swappable? I didn't really want to try on my wheel because it is a brown Champagne one, and 3/4 horn ring is better than no ring.

I'm thinking that my best bet may be to buy a steering wheel and swap the ring onto my wheel.

For now, I did snip off the part that was hanging loose.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Out Horn Ring on Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Those 3 phillips head screws take that ring off. Takes about 2 mins to replace it, and that's if you need a minute to find the screwdriver.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Out Horn Ring on Steering Wheel Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Those 3 phillips head screws take that ring off. Takes about 2 mins to replace it, and that's if you need a minute to find the screwdriver.

Perfect, thanks! I figured that was the case but was afraid it looked like it was molded into the plastic of the wheel and the three screws were for something else.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Out Horn Ring on Steering Wheel Reply with quote

I have the same problem but don't have a spare and need to get mine inspected Saturday.
Is it possible to solder a wire onto it at all or do the yell the ring anywhere?
Thanks!
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

"Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold. Acapulco gold!" Robert Plant
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Out Horn Ring on Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Bus Depot lists the rings. I haven't done it yet; I'm waiting to need enough other stuff to combine shipping somewhat.

Mine will still honk if the wheel is turned off center a bit where there is still surface to make contact.

I don't know who honks the horn in the inspection, but if you can make sure the wheel is turned enough, that could get you by!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Out Horn Ring on Steering Wheel Reply with quote

I found one from Airhead but not sure of the quality. It's $11.50 plus shipping.
I found one local but it's $20. I'll go with that one because I know it's German.

I passed inspection the last 2 times by turning the wheel and even honking when I drove up. They failed me last time because of treads.

Seem like they all want to find something wrong. I had a 2002 Ford Exploder that they failed because the exhaust sensors weren't ready. HE told me that he couldn't get a code so the sensors must be bad. I took it to another shop and he asked if I unhooked the battery. I said yep it has a drain. So he told me to drive 60 miles, i did and it passed.

But with the way people drive in Dallas, I need it to work when the wheels are straight for when they cut me off Confused
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Out Horn Ring on Steering Wheel Reply with quote

if you are just looking for a temp fix to pass inspection, aluminum tape maybe? Pus some on, trim it and away you go. It may make the gap a little smaller so you may need to lower the bottom part of the steering column.

edit - or even copper tape - I think you can get that at music shops?
James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn Out Horn Ring on Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure what I paid for is German
What I do know, is that it didn't fit.
The screw holes didn't line up and the wire connector was too small for the spade connector it's suppossed to connect to on the wheel.

So I took the brass ring off and tried to attach it to the VW plastic ring.
The female wire connection on the new one was too wide to fit in the conduit on the VW plastic piece. So I filed it out, installed it, took it to get inspected and he let me honk the horn Shocked
So, I could have passed with the old one. But I needed it on the way home when some jack a$$ pulled out in front of me and stopped to make a u turn across 2 solid lines.
The end.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: