Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad Transmission Front Mount or Just Loose?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Transmission Front Mount or Just Loose? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I did, and on the splines of the shaft and the starter gear teeth too.

You should remove the grease from the starter teeth, unless I am in need of an education. I can only imagine this causing more damage than good. This spot has been designed to operate flawlessly with no additional lubrication. Just tempered steel, for short spans of time. The surfaces can handle direct steel to steel contact, as that is how they were designed. Proven system in place without lubrication among multiple automotive manufacturers.

Grease on the gears creates issues. I have solved a few of those riddles through the years!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Transmission Front Mount or Just Loose? Reply with quote

Oh boy. I've got the engine all bolted in place, only need to reinstall the alternator belt, the air cleaner, pre heat hoses and battery cable. What is the likelihood that having put a smudge of grease on the starter teeth will cause a problem and what would it be?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Transmission Front Mount or Just Loose? Reply with quote

I cannot imagine anything catastrophic. Just that the motor when spinning will flings whatever grease is there onto ???? - hopefully not the disc or those mating surfaces. Once that area starts getting hot, and it gets seriously hot, it may smell like burnt grease. That's the only thing I would think could happen. Hopefully it is less and all you get is a greasy tranny bell housing. Don't loose any sleep over it. Drive on!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Transmission Front Mount or Just Loose? Reply with quote

I suppose I could remove the starter to clean its teeth.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Transmission Front Mount or Just Loose? Reply with quote

Engine's back in place, everything's connected. Started up on the 1st crank, I was impressed even after 3 weeks of sitting!

Link

I didn't get a chance to road test it, but it's my daily driver again as of tomorrow so I'll report back after work.

Hope y'all had a good and safe 4th of July!

Víctor
Blue Bug

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Transmission Front Mount or Just Loose? Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you got it!

Happy 4th!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Transmission Front Mount or Just Loose? Reply with quote

Ok, i'm declaring victory on multiple fronts. No more jumping stickshift and accompanying symptoms of the bad mount - powertrain sagging enough on take off that the pulley was getting shaved by the pulley tin for one. And no more growling from the right rear wheel. Dancing

Thanks to all who added their 2 & 3 cents on the way.

Víctor
Blue Bug

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: