Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Did this congestion occur during that first driveway camp, or has this surfaced after work was done to the van?

If it is an allergen, it could also be off-gassing vinyl and/or rubber and/or any cleaning-related products.

Congestion can be caused by more than simply allergens: When the neck muscles tighten, the sinuses can be adversely affected. Neck muscles can tighten just from sleeping "wrong". Thus, this could be a sleep issue as opposed to an allergen issue. I know as I experience this every road trip and rarely at home; just bought another pillow, albeit not travel size, that will, hopefully, solve my problem.

It did but we also had the mold in the poptop for that first driveway camp.

And maybe it is just that I don't sleep that well in the van. Even with the foam topper I don't find the mattress that comfortable but it's definitely better than the ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
If it is an allergen, it could also be off-gassing vinyl and/or rubber and/or any cleaning-related products.
Even with the foam topper I don't find the mattress that comfortable but it's definitely better than the ground.

If you are using a new foam mattress topper I vote for "off-gassing" Some very nasty chemicals come off those, and it can take months for these fumes to subside.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
katstan wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
Even with the foam topper I don't find the mattress that comfortable but it's definitely better than the ground.

If you are using a new foam mattress topper I vote for "off-gassing" Some very nasty chemicals come off those, and it can take months for these fumes to subside.

Yes, quite possibly.

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody. Seems like the one additional thing I can do is check that heater box, which I will do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

I quit using “memory foam” mattresses years ago because of chronic offgassing. Now I just do the inflatable mattress, much more ergonomic.

Also, I periodically blow out the van with a high-power leaf blower appliance. Especially aiming for the nooks and crannies where bugs might like to hide. Especially useful after the pollen season is over, clears the air real good.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

While it may not be our OP's issue, this seems timely:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/battery-off-gassing-35007.html

I realize off-gassing only happens while charging... meaning a solar panel could do the same. This is mostly why we did AGMs -- even for the starter battery (though it became a second house battery and now our starting batt is a lead-acid to save cash).

But if an alternator is overcharging, it seems the gases could or would be trapped indefinitely after shutdown, and seep for some time afterwards. You might check that your alternator's only putting out no more than 15 volts.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

Charging and/or overcharging a lead acid battery will produce hydrogen and hydrogen sulfide. Both are gases. Hydrogen is lighter than air and will escape to the atmosphere unless contained. Hydrogen sulfide is poisonous and smells like rotten eggs. Both are flammable.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

If it's my turn to guess, reading your history of cleaning various areas with various chemicals, I'd for sure look at cleaning product residue.

While I'm not all green and earthy, I do know that many cleaning products are in reality bottles of toxic chemicals that we spread liberally over everything we come in contact with.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

Look for mold under your front floor carpet and cork layer. Could be wet from windshield leaks.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

Its a poss result of breathing in flocking all night long.
Those micropore particles could be populating your respiratory system and leaving you stuffed up and depleted.

or maybe you just dont have any circulation in there and the funk in your fabric is agitating you.

Im interested to hear about the night after your steam clean wipe down is finished.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
novws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

I doubt this is your issue and I realize I'm stating the obvious, but double check the engine compartment cover and seal and make sure everything is accounted for, in good condition and properly secured.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
... I do know that many cleaning products are in reality bottles of toxic chemicals that we spread liberally over everything we come in contact with.

Dave
We think alike, Dave (Edit: and you may have just nailed this mystery).

Time and again, the sickest people I've ever known are the ones with the most-sanitized homes.

— Colin Chapman
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

What are you using for bedding? Feathers or down sometimes gives me a problem.

Did the previous owner have dogs? It was unbelievable all he places I've found dog hair in the van too.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
... I do know that many cleaning products are in reality bottles of toxic chemicals that we spread liberally over everything we come in contact with.

Dave
We think alike, Dave (Edit: and you may have just nailed this mystery).

Think

kamzcab86, Page 1 wrote:

Wink

Another thought: If you're using the van's stove and/or fridge on LP mode, ensure there are zero propane leaks in the system. Next trip/driveway camp, keep the propane tank turned off after dinner as a test.

PDXWesty wrote:
Did the previous owner have dogs? It was unbelievable all he places I've found dog hair in the van too.

Current owner has a dog, so most likely not the issue.

That said, I feel your pain... 7 years later and I'm still finding golden retriever hair in places I wouldn't think hair could get! Mad Laughing
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, Kat, that's a Florida van. It might take a couple of seasons for mold to die and stop spores according to Ms Abscate, the Certified Industrial Hyg for the State of NY.

Out gassing of new bedding is also likely so air that out well. Tumble air dry it and leave it in the sun to help bake it out.

I really doubt it's a battery acid problem, don't worry about that.

If it doesn't abate, you probably will have to Lift the floor ( ugh) and check the underlay for mold. Check in all the drawers and lockers for mold too.

The other test she suggests is to close it up tight and let the car get hot in the sun for a few hours, then go in and smell for nasties. If you can't smell anything horrible , you probably don't have a terrible case and it will go away in its new climate over winter. Definitely do that before tearing floor up, and give it a season.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

If you can't find the cause,I suggest 1/2 Chlortripolon, a saline nasal spray, a xylometazoline nasal spray or 1/2 to 1 pseudoephedrine and enjoy your van.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

Unless it's from the bleach we didn't use anything else in the van for cleaning it. It came so clean except for that pop top mold that this is the first time I'm giving it a thorough wipe down. And we're all baking soda and vinegar and 7th generation cleaning products over here usually and have nothing approaching a sanitized home. I'm trying to build my child's immune system after all and it is quite robust Smile.

I'll definitely check under that carpet layer. We do have a windshield leak I've noticed twice now when driving in the rain.

I sleep with down all the time so bedding isn't it. The PO did have a dog and I am finding a bunch of hair under the bench seat so it's possible but we have a dog and a cat and I've never had pet allergies in my life so doubt that's it but if so this vacuuming and steam cleaning should help.

Lifting the floor would be no big deal actually as it's floating with just that metal strip holding it down at the door. I'll try that and look under the carpets up front for mold if today's cleaning doesn't solve it.

I'll also air out the memory foam.

Thanks for helping me solve the mystery everyone. Hopefully we'll get it solved. I don't wake up feeling terrible or anything but especially with my kid in there and my husband, who does have allergies, I'd like to get rid of it if I can.

Okay, time to go get steam cleaning and then pack up for our overnight. We're camping with friends and their two kids tonight who just got themselves a Eurovan Weekender!
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

Do you change your diet when sleeping in the Van? Lots of pastas? More sugar than usual?
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
Do you change your diet when sleeping in the Van? Lots of pastas? More sugar than usual?

Funny you ask cause I was definitely thinking of this... I do eat more wheat and sugar when camping and that does leaving me feeling crappy when I do. This feeling I get after sleeping in the van is different... though that likely exacerbates it due to inflammation.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
...the sickest people I've ever known are the ones with the most-sanitized homes.

That explains why I never get sick!
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wake Up Feeling Congested After A Night In The Van Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
Unless it's from the bleach we didn't use anything else in the van for cleaning it. It came so clean except for that pop top mold that this is the first time I'm giving it a thorough wipe down. And we're all baking soda and vinegar and 7th generation cleaning products over here usually and have nothing approaching a sanitized home. I'm trying to build my child's immune system after all and it is quite robust Smile.

Google "Bleach doesn't work for mold". Here is one of many results:

https://www.rhinohide.com/blog/never-use-bleach-to-clean-mold

This is why I always recommend using 1 cup Borax / 1 gallon of water especially when cleaning mold from porous surfaces (like fabrics). This has worked amazingly well for me. My pop-top was COVERED in black mold when I bought my Westy about 4 years ago. Cleaned with the borax/water solution one time. Haven't seen a spot of mold since.

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Sat May 20, 2017 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: