Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus for film use
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

Definitely better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

Here's what it looks like after another treatment with black wax, dabbed on with a sponge instead of wiping:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

I would of thought you would of done a washable paint like they do with buses kids decorate at car shows.

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

I used the wax instead, as it will be rained on several times before we shoot the scenes it is in. I'm thinking about "aging" the wheels too, as they look a little too clean where the hubcaps were at one time.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

Some ratty old curtains will help too. The windows look too clean for the rest of the bus now. But, yes, it's taking on an old look now.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

I think it will work for the film now. Good work.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

Your sound guy called. He asked if you could "please install a muffler."

Laughing

Looks good!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Your sound guy called. He asked if you could "please install a muffler."

Very strange, but this bus is not very loud at all for not having a muffler. It sounds like one with a glass pack. A bit of noise will fit in just fine with the image of the character, a real slacker. I may have some smoke drifting from the back when he stops the bus. I can either do that with a smoke machine, or drive it ten miles and let the oil soaked heater boxes heat up. No smoke machine necessary.
Wink

Laughing

Looks good!
Robbie
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Some ratty old curtains will help too. The windows look too clean for the rest of the bus now. But, yes, it's taking on an old look now.

Curtains are a great idea- but my wife, the producer/director, will freak if I ask her to make them now. I may add some haze around the edges of the windows with something that will come off easily- maybe dishwashing detergent.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

The last few pictures are very convincing as to an aged, 'patinaed' (rusted) vehicle, especially to viewers who are not hyper-focused on vehicles (as in most people).
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

"I've worked on everything from low budget scifi channel stuff to 150+ million dollar budget pictures. I've seen a lot of picture cars ... 3 or 4 identically rusted and aged vehicles waiting for their turn in front of the camera. It always amazed me the amount of work that went into prepping a vehicle for camera. That's why I leave the art department stuff to the art department. But I also grew up during the period you are trying to depict and I know what doesn't look right. If the bus is such an integral part of the story the details have to be right."

While we don't have the budget to get exactly the right bus, we are working hard to get everything else right. Such as the period phone booth, vintage sailor uniform, Chevy truck, accordion, wardrobe and tableware in the screenshots and behind the scenes photos below.

mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
The last few pictures are very convincing as to an aged, 'patinaed' (rusted) vehicle, especially to viewers who are not hyper-focused on vehicles (as in most people).

I'm counting on this. I realize everyone in the Samba community knows the bus is wrong, but I think in the car community at large, it would be under ten percent. Outside of car nuts, almost no one would know. And with a mainly female audience for the film, that works fine.

I don't know how convincing it is as an aged vehicle, but to me it looks like one that has spent a few years commuting to a coal plant and never washed.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

It's definitely looking better as you go..

Might I suggest you actually go and drive the thing around and get it naturally dirty?

Bomb a few dirt roads with the wax on, and it will pick up just what it needs.

No hubcaps really helps, too..

99% of any regular citizens will never know this bus is a later year.
Mine is missing the VW emblem on the front, and sometimes people ask if it's a bus!

What’s That Noise?!?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

Interesting using Navy service men during the Vietnam War (Conflict) as your subject. Most people don't know 2556 Navy personnel died in that war. Bus looks better. Roll on.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

[quote="Clatter"]It's definitely looking better as you go..

Might I suggest you actually go and drive the thing around and get it naturally dirty?

Bomb a few dirt roads with the wax on, and it will pick up just what it needs.

Unfortunately there are zero dirt roads in my area of TN.

No hubcaps really helps, too..

I'm about to "black wax" the wheels too, and rub some dirt into the tires.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

Then you need to go drive a little further! Smile Finding and driving down old dirt roads to see what is there is one my favorite pastimes.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Interesting using Navy service men during the Vietnam War (Conflict) as your subject. Most people don't know 2556 Navy personnel died in that war. Bus looks better. Roll on.

The story is about the USS Forrestal fire, which accounted for 134 of the deaths. My wife's dad was on the ship. The story is loosely based on her mom's experience back at home, seeing the news reports and not knowing if he was dead or alive for 3 days.
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Then you need to go drive a little further! Smile Finding and driving down old dirt roads to see what is there is one my favorite pastimes.

Might have to do that once I trust it to drive more than a few miles. It's interesting owning a bus and not really being a VW guy. For the first few weeks, fighting the FI and brake issues I wondered what you see in these things. But once I got it running decent, I'm finding driving it really enjoyable, especially the fact that it needs no power steering and has enough pep on level ground.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

mainstreetprod wrote:
Xevin wrote:

The story is about the USS Forrestal fire, which accounted for 134 of the deaths. My wife's dad was on the ship. The story is loosely based on her mom's experience back at home, seeing the news reports and not knowing if he was dead or alive for 3 days.

Badger State was a nasty one too. Imagine being stuck in heavy seas, hearing 1000 pound bombs loose in the hold, wondering when they were going to go off..
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

Hollywood magic is what we're looking for!
Happens all the time. Basically you are taking a bus that's ten years newer than the time period and making it look older. Like they say " only in Hollywood" !

I watched a series on network television called "Astronauts Wives Club" These pictures are from the show. The period was 1968, they used a 1979 bus for the scene. How many people besides me caught this ? Who knows.

If network television pulls this off why not you ?

This bus played a small part in this episode, so they got away with it, they think.
If your hero bus is in a lot of scenes, might be different.??

Congratulations on your film project! Hope it goes well !

Peace
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: