Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help Replaced brake servo and master cylinder help
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
adriandela510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Help Replaced brake servo and master cylinder help Reply with quote

Hello,

I replaced my brake servo and master cylinder on my 74 bus. After filling up the reservoir and trying to bleed the brakes; the brake pedal is loose with no resistance even after numerous pumps, also no fluid comes out when bleeding the valves behind the wheels. The brake reservoir level of fluid looks the same and it seems like it's not making it to the double fluid reservoir over the master Cylander.
I'm a bit stumped on what to do. Has any one ever had similar symptoms and/or knows a possible solution?
Thanks,
Adrian
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Replaced brake servo and master cylinder help Reply with quote

You will probably have to crack the hard brake lines at the master cylinder and then let the brake fluid leak down into the Master cylinder before you can start bleeding.

Worst case, remove it and bench bleed it before installing.

Until you get some fluid into it, you can't push the fluid to the wheels.
adriandela510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Replaced brake servo and master cylinder help Reply with quote

@Abscate thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it especially how rapidly it came.

I had my girl friend pump the brake pedal while I inspected the master cylinder and noticed that brake fluid was moving through the line after all. When bleeding the brakes, the fluid was a thick foamy dirty white. After pumping and pumping and cans of brake fluid and a patient but still agrivated girl friend we were able to get the brake fluid just right. Crystal clear. And the tension came back with back 500 pumps later.

So my advice for any one who overtakes the procedure of replacing the brake master cylinder and servo is to be prepared to pump. Or be ready to return the favor to whoever pumps for you. Laughing
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Replaced brake servo and master cylinder help Reply with quote

This is a timely thread. The description by Woldsburg West for their master cylinder reads " power bleeder must be used when installing this master cylinder. This is necessary to fully evacuate air from the unit. I wondered if this was just because of the pressure needed to overcome air in the cylinder.

Would bench bleeding obviate this requirement?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Replaced brake servo and master cylinder help Reply with quote

I've never bench bleed any master cylinders I've installed in my VW's. I bought the German one for my bug from WW. I installed it, filled up the reservoir w/fluid and used a homemade hand pump power bleeder. It's similar to this one.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Motive-Products/715/0104/100...fgod8HoIGw

It quickly bleed the air out of the system. You just don't want to let the reservoir run low as you're bleeding it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help Replaced brake servo and master cylinder help Reply with quote

adriandela, when your girlfriend starts to complain about all the pumping tell her how nice and tonned her leg is becoming

"what good are tractors without violins ?" jose figueres
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: