Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle Cable Adjustment
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackgri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Throttle Cable Adjustment Reply with quote

I recently performed a TB adaptation on my ‘’97 with Vagcom. The reason I did it was the battery was out of the van for a while and I wanted to reset the TCM after a fluid change.

The issue I am having is the TCM is only seeing the throttle at 75% even though the throttle is wide open. This in turn is not allowing the kick down to work properly. I am able to physically hold the TB open to get the TCM value in Vagcom to 99.5%.

My question(s) to any takers is there a throttle cable adjustment or is a replacement in order? Am I missing something else?
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable Adjustment Reply with quote

Blackgri wrote:

The issue I am having is the TCM is only seeing the throttle at 75% even though the throttle is wide open ... I am able to physically hold the TB open to get the TCM value in Vagcom to 99.5%.

Can you clarify? "Wide open" throttle means that the throttle-body is open all the way, which is what you've implied you did to get the TCM to read 99.5. Do you instead mean that the gas pedal is to the floor and all it will do is open the throttle to 75%?

I don't think electrickery works that way
Blackgri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable Adjustment Reply with quote

With the pedal all the way to the floor, the TCM reads 75%. If I force the throttle body all the way open with my hand, it reads 99.5%.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable Adjustment Reply with quote

You can adjust the throttle cable where it attaches to the throttle-body. The end of the throttle cable housing has a ribbed section ~2" long; a clip secures the cable housing where it passes through a grommet at the throttle-body. Relocate that clip further down the ribbed section of the housing to "tighten" the cable, but don't apply any pre-load onto the throttle-plate itself (i.e. make sure it still closes all the way following the adjustment).

Another area to inspect is where the throttle cable attaches to the pedal assembly underneath the dash. There is a bushing in the linkage where the cable hooks through; the cable's hook wears through that bushing over time, creating another 1/4" of slack.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Blackgri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable Adjustment Reply with quote

The clips holding the throttle cable to the bracket are MIA. I’m guessing the mechanic that replaced the chains a couple weeks ago misplaced them when he extracted the engine.

Anywho, I safety wired the cable in place until I can source some clips or bite the bulletin and replace the cable. Thanks for the help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: