Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Ghia Equalizer Z Bar
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dshawirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: 1968 Ghia Equalizer Z Bar Reply with quote

I'm kinda guessing there's no one answer to this, but throwing it out there.
Try as I might, the right lubricates, vice, torch I can't get this bolt off. And thinking maybe I'm missing something like it'd not suppose to come off.....
In case buying a new rod is where I end up, can someone recommend where to get.
Thanks a bunch!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Equalizer Z Bar Reply with quote

Make a mix if 50% Acetone and 50% Auto. trans fluid and soak it for an hour then put something that the nut can rest on and smack the other side of the nut with a hammer, turn one flat and repeat until you work your way around the nut, soak with mixture for 15 more min.s and it should come off (make sure you are turning in the right direction).
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Equalizer Z Bar Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Make a mix if 50% Acetone and 50% ATF

That's the ticket... cheap and works great. Get your acetone at Walmart in the nail polish section. Use the plastic bottle to mix with the ATF. GL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dshawirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Equalizer Z Bar Reply with quote

Perfect. Heading that way.
Thanks so much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Equalizer Z Bar Reply with quote

I have a complete Z-Bar (including hardware) for sale in the classifieds if it comes to that.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Equalizer Z Bar Reply with quote

Please forgive my ignorance (I'm not a Ghia guy), but what is an Equalizer Z bar?
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Equalizer Z Bar Reply with quote

If it is truly frozen on where even lubricant wont let you remove it then the next step is a chisel and hammer. You should be able to split the nut on both sides and then take it right off there really is no reason to destroy the rod itself.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Equalizer Z Bar Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance (I'm not a Ghia guy), but what is an Equalizer Z bar?

The early Beetles and Ghias were unstable at the rear with the swing axle set-up. The theory is that VW installed a Z-Bar to forestall product liability litigation in the US. Beetles and Ghias with IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) behave much better and don't need the Z-bar. Since your car is a 70s model I'm not surprised you've never heard of this part.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Equalizer Z Bar Reply with quote

Ah ok, sort of like an anti-sway bar. Thanks
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Equalizer Z Bar Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:

More like a camber compensator than a sway bar, IMO.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Equalizer Z Bar Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:

Actually, it's the opposite.

VW softened the rear springs in order to get a little MORE rear sway so that the front suspension would take more of the cornering load and therefore not oversteer so badly. A front anti-roll bar was added for the same reason.

However, the softer springs in the rear meant the car could bottom out, so they added the equalizer, or Z-bar. It's really just an overload spring.

An anti-sway bar works when each side of the suspension moves in OPPOSITE directions. The Z-bar works only when both sides work in the SAME direction (of compression; it does nothing on extension).

Some owners have shimmed the Z-bar so that it works sooner (with less load), though this undoes the effect VW was trying to achieve.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: