Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil leak.....
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

Hoping I can get a little help with a leak....had people look at it, I've sealed everything up and I stiil get a very good leak when I park. It's a deep sump and if I wipe everything down it stays dry for a day or two. If i wipe the vertical front portion of the sump, it doesn't appear to be coming from there. How can I find it and fix it.....the stick is to give you an idea of where it's dropping.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SiggyManx#33 on Sun May 21, 2017 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

I had a oil leak I couldn't find so I tried some of the UV dye that goes in your oil. Worked great. Just clean everything real well add dye. Drive or run just a little while. Use a UV flashlight to look for dye, glows bright green. Dye available at most auto part stores. Only a few bucks. UV flashlight from eBay about $5 shipped.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

UV dye sounds like a great idea.

Check the top front of the engine case, it could be coming from your oil tower cooler. If it's dry there, may be the main seal behind the clutch...

It can be difficult with a buggy with all the open area and air blowing different directions. Oil from the back of the engine can be blown forward....
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

Had a cracked axle boot that stumped me for a while. Just thinking outside the box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

Mine too! When driving it blew back on the engine and dripped on the ground like an engine leak. Smell it to see if it is gear oil or engine oil.
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

johnnyniceguy wrote:
Had a cracked axle boot that stumped me for a while. Just thinking outside the box.

+1 on this...just replaced both my axel boots.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

Is it motor oil or gear lube?

I had oil leak that drove me crazy.... Found out external sump had hairline crack around area where external large capacity sump bolted to engine case... Thinking back I must have thumped sump on "speed bump" in parking lot or something... Replacing sump solved my issue...

Clean area really good with spray on engine cleaner (GUNK) , let it sit for a day or two and watch for where oil is coming from...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

It's engine oil.....when completely cleaned, it won't leak. Takes a day or two of driving then leak develops and stays until everything is cleaned up good. I don't think its coming from above the sump because the front of the sump is pretty clean.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

oil cooler.. rear seal.. or sump.. those sumps are notorious for leaking.. rear seals do not take a day or two to leak.. nor oil coolers.. sumps do.. they are not under Pressure.. like the rear seal and oil cooler.. Id place my money on the gasket between sump and block..
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
oil cooler.. rear seal.. or sump.. those sumps are notorious for leaking.. rear seals do not take a day or two to leak.. nor oil coolers.. sumps do.. they are not under Pressure.. like the rear seal and oil cooler.. Id place my money on the gasket between sump and block..

P/S: if you do replace the sump gasket.. Id use GRAY RTV with the gasket.. same stuff they use now to completely replace gaskets
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

SiggyManx#33 wrote:
I don't think its coming from above the sump because the front of the sump is pretty clean.

Isn't your second picture the front of the sump? The part closer to the transaxle?
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
SiggyManx#33 wrote:
I don't think its coming from above the sump because the front of the sump is pretty clean.

Isn't your second picture the front of the sump? The part closer to the transaxle?

Yes...
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

Input shaft seal. How's the clutch been feeling? Any slipping?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Input shaft seal. How's the clutch been feeling? Any slipping?

Or main seal behind flywheel...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak..... Reply with quote

Obviously this isn't your issue as your motor has been running for a while.
But I bought a newly built motor that had never had oil in it. Added oil, immediately ran out around the oil pump.... gasket behind the cover missing.
Upon initial start-up oil poured out of the bellhousing. Pulled the motor, removed the clutch and flywheel to find no threaded plug in the main oil gallery.
With that many items not checked by the builder I will tear it all down before running again as who knows what else was missed....rod caps or heads not torqued?
Not worth the chance!
Of course shipright's disease could creep in.. .While in there I might as well..... Rolling Eyes

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: