Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Color me impressed!

If you work wood like you are working this Van, you're one heck of a Carpenter!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

snwbrdr435 wrote:
Looks like you were at Menemsha? I spent ever summer in aquinnah when I was growing up so I spent a fair amount of time there. Now I am in northern MA, would love to get my van back out on the island sometime!

Exactly. A little spot called, "crab corner" in Menemsha. We love parking there for the day and there's a perfect little backwater behind the dock where the kids catch crabs and minnows. Lots of fun. We happen to live in Aquinnah. I basically grew up here on the Island and really enjoy all it has to offer. I hope you make it back to the island some day with your van. Send me a pm if you do. I enjoy meeting other Vanagon owners and seeing there vans. Thanks for your interest in the build!
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Color me impressed!

If you work wood like you are working this Van, you're one heck of a Carpenter!

Dave

Thanks Dave, though much of the work is being performed by the guys at FAS. I have tackled some of the smaller things. I wish I had the knowledge and skills that so many on this site possess. This site has been invaluable in at least helping to guide me along the way. The project has been nothing short of enjoyable for me. It has been fun to watch the transformation and I'm really looking forward to the end result (whatever that may be). Thanks again for your interest.

Nick
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
I actually saw your thread on the syncro sticker and commented twice. I am still laughing about it.
I just purchased the espar muffler. Thanks again.

I even replied to you, duh! forgive the senior lapse

so glad you appreciate the muffler, you clearly have very good taste in Vanagon accessories Smile
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I have been documenting all of the work along the way and have compiled a book of receipts and notes. Documentation almost always adds some value to the vehicle. I have over 100 pages of receipts. Hard to imagine I've compiled that many in a little under two years. Hopefully there will be a day when the spending tapers off and we can concentrate on enjoying the vehicle more and using it for longer trips.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I have purchased the Scan Gauge II to monitor engine functions. I'm looking forward to owning a Vanagon with OBD II. When and if issues arise it won't be as much of a guessing game to diagnose the problem.

supdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 multivan tdi build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
This winter I took the opportunity to add some "Vanagon lights" footwell led lights.

Are these from https://www.etsy.com/shop/vanagonleds? Mind if if I use this picture?
VanagonLEDs.com
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 multivan tdi build Reply with quote

supdude wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:
This winter I took the opportunity to add some "Vanagon lights" footwell led lights.

Are these from https://www.etsy.com/shop/vanagonleds? Mind if if I use this picture?

This photo is of my actual van and yes, I ordered the lights from that site on etsy. You are more than welcome to use the photo.

Nick
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I corrected my original post on the footwell lights and properly referred to them by their name, "Vanagon LEDs." They have been a great addition to the van. Easy to install and they work great. (I just wanted to give credit to the right company. Sorry for the error.)
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Very similar to my Orly Blue 1990 Multivan, if you overlook all the FAS stuff. Laughing
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

ELO78 wrote:
Very similar to my Orly Blue 1990 Multivan, if you overlook all the FAS stuff. Laughing

I know I'm biased but I really like the Orly blue and multivan configuration. The multivan works great for our family. We were contemplating a camper but I envisioned my two kids, in car seats right next to each other on that narrow bench seat, fighting and grabbing each other and me in the front seat losing my mind!

Enjoy your multivan, they aren't easy to find! Feel free to post photos of your van if you wish. I could look at Vanagons all day. Thanks for checking out the build.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Just on Oak Bluff yesterday enjoying the sunshine...break from work at WHOI. perfect weather this weekend! Didn't see any VWs though

Sad
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Your kids are going to have many fond memories of that van for the exact reasons you expressed. We recently bought the Eurovan equivalent of your van--Techno Blue Weekender, and are kicking ourselves for not buying it a decade ago when our teenage kids were young like yours. We've owned a nice Vanagon Carat (same interior as yours) all the his time but didn't like to road trip in it due to the low gearing that caused the engine to scream at freeway speeds.

You really do have the very best configuration in the Vanagon platform and with the engine swap and taller gearing you're fixing all the issues that held us back from enjoying that genius interior all this time. Our kids are so much happier hitting the road in the EV than in the relatively cramped Audi we've used for years. I can't wait to see more pics once FAS is finished.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Beautiful build.
You are right in the family sweet spot to get years and years out of one of these "memory making machines".
My kids sat next to each other in the rear bench, and I took solace in how far away they were so I couldn't hear every last thing until it got major from them.
Where is your solar panel mounted? Would love to see pics of that setup.
How much distance beteen your charge controller and aux battery (for voltage drop).
Grreat thread!
Bike as primary transportation
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

A quick teaser of things to come..

Latest round of photos and work from FAS.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I'm especially interested to see how they hang the muffler on that install. FAS used to sell a muffler hanger kit that I installed on a friend's van, and I was really impressed with the design. So much so, that I stole the ideas when I built my own TDI muffler hangers. The hangers are adjustable, so you can alter both the height and angle of the exhaust perpendicular to the engine

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Freshly installed tdi and transaxle. Latest round of photos from Chris at FAS.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm especially interested to see how they hang the muffler on that install. FAS used to sell a muffler hanger kit that I installed on a friend's van, and I was really impressed with the design. So much so, that I stole the ideas when I built my own TDI muffler hangers. The hangers are adjustable, so you can alter both the height and angle of the exhaust perpendicular to the engine

Hopefully you can get an idea from these photos. I'll post more as the exhaust/muffler is finished up. When I was up in Harpswell checking out a tdi install that was almost ready for the customer to pick up, I was impressed with how every component fit inside the engine bay. I was most concerned with the tdi hanging too low for my liking but somehow they managed to keep it tucked in pretty high. I have seen tdi installs that hang quite low but FAS' install was far from that. The muffler set up was high and tight. FAS doesn't skimp on how they hang and attach components to the vehicle. I'll try to get specific shots of how they hang the muffler.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

macjack wrote:
Beautiful build.
You are right in the family sweet spot to get years and years out of one of these "memory making machines".
My kids sat next to each other in the rear bench, and I took solace in how far away they were so I couldn't hear every last thing until it got major from them.
Where is your solar panel mounted? Would love to see pics of that setup.
How much distance beteen your charge controller and aux battery (for voltage drop).
Grreat thread!

Really glad you're enjoying the thread. I'm very new to posting so hopefully it's going ok. I've been editing a lot and have added some photos to some of the earlier pages. I do hope people enjoy seeing FAS' work. It really is pretty.

In terms of my solar panel, I actually mounted it inside the gary lee small luggage rack because I rarely use the rack unless we are going on a longer trip. It is a flexible panel and I just zip tied it to the frame. Sounds a little hokey but it works. I'm actually thinking of mounting it to the bottom of the luggage rack so that the rack is still useable. I'm not too concerned about shading because it's only a few bars and the percentage of shade to exposure area is pretty minimal. I didn't want to drill into my pop top to mount the panel so this was the best solution I could come up with. Also, I didn't want to have to drill into the body to run my wiring and the hole where the rear wiper fluid line exits the body was perfect. There is another factory hole nearby that I then was able to come into the interior of the van. I bet you're right that there is probably a bit of voltage drop but the system does seem to keep up. I don't know much about solar. I'm wondering if the 10 amp controller is enough to handle the 100 watt panel. I'm assuming it will be ok. I will definitely post photos of the setup as soon as I can. Like anything, I am always open to suggestions. Maybe there is a better setup that someone can recommend?

Last edited by Multiman mv on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Your kids are going to have many fond memories of that van for the exact reasons you expressed. We recently bought the Eurovan equivalent of your van--Techno Blue Weekender, and are kicking ourselves for not buying it a decade ago when our teenage kids were young like yours. We've owned a nice Vanagon Carat (same interior as yours) all the his time but didn't like to road trip in it due to the low gearing that caused the engine to scream at freeway speeds.

You really do have the very best configuration in the Vanagon platform and with the engine swap and taller gearing you're fixing all the issues that held us back from enjoying that genius interior all this time. Our kids are so much happier hitting the road in the EV than in the relatively cramped Audi we've used for years. I can't wait to see more pics once FAS is finished.

I had a similar experience with the multivan the first time I took it on the highway. I just envisioned us as a family, broken down or struggling to get through the rockys with the waterboxer on the verge of redlining (not that I would drive a vehicle like that) and unable to get to where we wanted to go. I know conversions can present there own problems but I figured this was the best plan of action.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 50

Jump to: