Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I also had my van estimated by my neighbor who owns a fantastic body shop. He said to shoot the top right installed, he would need to build a scaffolding around it to shoot the right angle. Also would require a higher ceiling booth than it looks like they have.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

So the pop top is about to come off. They found some nasty stuff under the luggage rack. Looks like it’s time for some screens for the the drain holes (and a new parking space away from the large red oak.) These guys really seem to be doing a great job. I’m more and more encouraged about the quality of the job with each photo they send.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Marshj wrote:
I also had my van estimated by my neighbor who owns a fantastic body shop. He said to shoot the top right installed, he would need to build a scaffolding around it to shoot the right angle. Also would require a higher ceiling booth than it looks like they have.

I originally thought they could do this but their spray room ceiling is just too low. Since they’re taking it off, I’ve decided to go with a fully sanded and smooth finish for the pop top. Originally I was going to have them keep the texture but since they need to do a couple repairs to the tops I decided to go with the smooth look. I think it going to be really slick.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Mornin’

Looking good,

The plastic trim on the A pillar and the rain gutter comes off with heat applied. Solvent to cleanup the remaining adhesive.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Scottgb2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Wow! That's nice. I actually think it looks good in just the primer, lol, so I'm sure it will look amazing when the actual paint is applied. My van was repainted by one of the previous owners. I find traces of the original off red/orange color under trim and when exposed by nicks or scratches. It appears the repaint was a less thorough over spray job. The current pearl white on mine still looks quite good, but I would love to eventually get it done right like yours. Would you be willing to share the final cost once completed? It would give me a price point for what a quality job would cost. Thanks and hope you are back on the road soon!
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
Marshj wrote:

I originally thought they could do this but their spray room ceiling is just too low. Since they’re taking it off, I’ve decided to go with a fully sanded and smooth finish for the pop top. Originally I was going to have them keep the texture but since they need to do a couple repairs to the tops I decided to go with the smooth look. I think it going to be really slick.

I’m sure that you will be rewarded with a great result by removing the texture.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
Mornin’

Looking good,

The plastic trim on the A pillar and the rain gutter comes off with heat applied. Solvent to cleanup the remaining adhesive.

Thanks for pointing this out. I have sent them a reminder. I have supplied them with new moldings for the rain gutter, end caps and the A pillar.

Sounds like they have been getting into sanding down the pop top and repairing a couple cracks in the fiberglass. Can’t wait to see the top after its finished.

I just ordered the screen kit for the luggage rack drain holes from van cafe yesterday and already received a shipping notice. Thankful that they are still open in a limited capacity and getting orders out the door.
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
Mornin’

Looking good,

What sort of adhesive is used to glue these moulding back on?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

OzzieJo wrote:
T3 Pilot wrote:
Mornin’

Looking good,

What sort of adhesive is used to glue these moulding back on?

I dont know what is best but i supplied them with a tube of 3m weatherstrip and gasket adhesive. Seems like this should work.
Farfromslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Looking good, glad to see your addressing all the issues so the van will only be down and out once
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Farfromslow wrote:
Looking good, glad to see your addressing all the issues so the van will only be down and out once

Yah it’s been hard not to have the van through this corona quarantine. It would have made such a great “mobile classroom” for my kids. Hopefully we’ll still have some schooling left when we get it back. They are aiming towards early may. Fingers crossed. Bob is such a great guy, easy to deal with, good attitude and attention to detail. Thanks again for recommending these guys. It’s obviously costing some money but still very reasonable for all of the work they are putting into it.
Farfromslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

What’s that saying, you get what you pay for right
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Some recent progress photos.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

The top is in the the spray booth, brake booster is in and the rear disc brake kit has been installed. We had to use longer wheel studs (56 mm) because of the brake kit. Gowesty states that they aren’t necessary for any of the wheels that they sell but for the van cafe carat alloys they were definitely needed. With the stock studs, we were only getting a few turns on the lug nuts. I imagine that the 56 mm will be a lot better on the gowesty alloys as well, but that’s just a hunch.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

The longer wheel studs and the gowesty rear brake kit installed (sorry about the poor quality photo but it’s all I had.) Just about to get some color on the van and the top.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Fri May 01, 2020 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I had two cracks in my poptop. One was on top near the skylight and in the photo the repair is done. The other crack was along the lower driver side in the center. Here’s a photo of the start of the repair. I guess the crack was a little more substantial than I had realized.

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

If there ever was a good year to have your camper tied up in a body shop, this is the year. This van will look great once it's done, that blue is one of the best colors VW used on the Vanagon, should really look nice with the texture removed from the pop-top, that's a LOT of labor!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
If there ever was a good year to have your camper tied up in a body shop, this is the year. This van will look great once it's done, that blue is one of the best colors VW used on the Vanagon, should really look nice with the texture removed from the pop-top, that's a LOT of labor!

Yes good point about this quarantine, though I must say my family and I have really been missing the van lately. It will make a great mobile classroom and base of operations for all of this homeschooling.

I can’t wait to see the van after these guys are finished with it. They really have been putting some time in. It’s been taking a while but I’d rather they don’t rush through it.

I agree, I too am really partial to Orly blue. I hope it still shows shades of purple in the right sunlight. I always liked that little quirk with Orly blue. I’m not sure if it will still exhibit this characteristic after it’s finished.

Be well and stay safe!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

It should show the paint flops great once it's done. I've sprayed it a few times and when it's new it really sparkles in the sun. I hoping to see some good pictures of it when your finished, I'm wondering how much different the smoothed roof is going to look.

I've only been to Martha Vineyard once, It was probably my best ever one-day Vanagon trip. Everything happened to fall right into place at the right time the entire day. This picture was my desktop screen-saver for a few years after it...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

[quote="Multiman mv"]
xoo00oox wrote:

I agree, I too am really partial to Orly blue. I hope it still shows shades of purple in the right sunlight. I always liked that little quirk with Orly blue. I’m not sure if it will still exhibit this characteristic after it’s finished.

Be well and stay safe!

Fingers crossed.

RonC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 41 of 50

Jump to: