Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
It should show the paint flops great once it's done. I've sprayed it a few times and when it's new it really sparkles in the sun. I hoping to see some good pictures of it when your finished, I'm wondering how much different the smoothed roof is going to look.

I've only been to Martha Vineyard once, It was probably my best ever one-day Vanagon trip. Everything happened to fall right into place at the right time the entire day. This picture was my desktop screen-saver for a few years after it...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like a spectacular day out on chappy! I love it out there. I wish I had a Syncro just to be able to run it out on the beach like that. Glad you had a great visit.

I always tell Vanagon owners to look me up the next time you make it to the island. Hope you get a chance to visit again.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Fri May 01, 2020 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

This may be aiming really high but here is a photo of a poptop that was smoothed out and painted by a talented fella in Australia who is doing a poptop conversion and an amazing restoration on his van. I hope he doesn’t mind me posting the photo but I actually sent it to my painter and said, if you could get my poptop looking half as nice as this one, I’d be really psyched. This photo is what convinced me to go with the smoothed out approach on my top. Originally I was going to keep the texture. I am trying to temper my expectations. It looks like there was a lot of prep and elbow grease put into this paint job and plenty of buffing.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Ron C,

I hope you and your fellow Canadians are doing ok up there in Nova Scotia. Hopefully this Corona virus hasn’t hit you guys too hard up there. I’m still looking forward to visiting once all of this corona stuff is behind us. Be well and take care.

Nick
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
Ron C,

I hope you and your fellow Canadians are doing ok up there in Nova Scotia. Hopefully this Corona virus hasn’t hit you guys too hard up there. I’m still looking forward to visiting once all of this corona stuff is behind us. Be well and take care.

Nick

Hey Nick, thank you so much for your thoughts. We really need it up here right about now. I PM'd you.

#novascotiastrong

RonC
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Hey Nick, I’m flattered that you holding up my top as the standard ... especially after all of the quality work that has gone into your own van.

There’s no secret, just as you say a bit of sanding/buffing and plenty of clear over the base.

I started out wet sanding the whole top with 3M 1500 until I just got rid of the “orange peel”, then moved onto 3,000, and then 5,000. Then it was onto buffing, my machine of choice is a Rupes Bigfoot 15. For compounds I use the Scholl Concepts brand, I started with the S3 Gold with an Orange pad, and then finished off with S20 Black and a purple “spider” pad. I haven’t sealed it yet, but will likely use “Wolfgang deep gloss sealant”, that is The product I used on the rest of the van and it came up pretty nice.

Installing Dynamat atm .... sheesh what a chore
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Making some progress on the paint. These nicer days are really putting some ants in my pants. Definitely missing the van right now. Hoping to be wrapped up within the next few weeks.

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

AWESOME!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farfromslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Looking good Nick
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Nice one Nick
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

OzzieJo wrote:
Nice one Nick

Really happy i removed the texture on the poptop. Thanks for the inspiration. I really think it looks sharp. I used to have a fair amount of people come up to us when traveling in the van and say, “i didn't know they still made these things?” I imagine these encounters will increase after this paint job.

How is your project coming? Really looking forward to following your progress. You should be incredibly proud of all that hard work you have done. One of my favorite samba projects by far!

Nick
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Nice one Nick
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Looks even nicer out in the sun.

They got some color on the actual top of the van today. Hoping the they are going to tackle the rest of the body this next week and then it’s putting it all back together.

OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

That looks fantastic Nick, I bet that you are glad that you went to a bit more effort to smooth the top ... great job !
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Can’t wait to get to Cuttyhunk this summer
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Sounds like a great trip that you’ll be taking. Do you go out there every summer? I love that place. It feels like the vineyard did years and years ago. One of my favorite things to do in the summer is to take our boat over to the fisherman’s club for breakfast. So much fun. I imagine the island residents have been contemplating their fate because of Corona virus and tourist season. We had a lot of negative sentiment And xenophobia floating around the island due to corona fears. Some islanders were voicing their concern over tourists bringing corona virus here and in great numbers but most have welcomed the summer residents back as long as people are self quarantining at first. It was an interesting debate that caught fire on island Facebook groups. There were many people who feared that our hospital would be overrun and the islanders would get the short end of the stick. The debate got pretty heated but I think most have settled down to the new reality. As long as people travel smart, quarantine at first, things should be ok. We haven’t seen a huge number of cases though all of the cases were mainly from seasonal residents fleeing their primary homes in the city seeking refuge in their island homes. We have seen high numbers of people returning earlier than usual and many of the grocery stores got wiped out early on in the outbreak. They are starting to catch up now. I imagine we might even see more people coming here than normal because it is an area of Massachusetts that has a low number of covid cases. Summer isn’t going to look anything like a normal summer but we need summer residents and tourists more than ever right now. It’s a bit of a catch 22 but seasonal residents/tourists are vital to our economy. Cuttyhink is the same but to a much lesser degree.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Well things are moving painfully slow with the paint project. I was really hoping to have the van back by now and have had to cancel a trip because of the delay. At least things are being done right and i rather they take there time than rush through it. Im sure a global pandemic hasn’t helped the situation. It’s looking like the project is getting close to being finished and ive given them a firm deadline of June 12th. As we get closer to July, ferry reservations back to the island can be problematic, so im really hoping they make this deadline.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Sounds like a great trip that you’ll be taking. Do you go out there every summer? I love that place. It feels like the vineyard did years and years ago. One of my favorite things to do in the summer is to take our boat over to the fisherman’s club for breakfast. So much fun. I imagine the island residents have been contemplating their fate because of Corona virus and tourist season. We had a lot of negative sentiment And xenophobia floating around the island due to corona fears. Some islanders were voicing their concern over tourists bringing corona virus here and in great numbers but most have welcomed the summer residents back as long as people are self quarantining at first. It was an interesting debate that caught fire on island Facebook groups. There were many people who feared that our hospital would be overrun and the islanders would get the short end of the stick. The debate got pretty heated but I think most have settled down to the new reality. As long as people travel smart, quarantine at first, things should be ok. We haven’t seen a huge number of cases though all of the cases were mainly from seasonal residents fleeing their primary homes in the city seeking refuge in their island homes. We have seen high numbers of people returning earlier than usual and many of the grocery stores got wiped out early on in the outbreak. They are starting to catch up now. I imagine we might even see more people coming here than normal because it is an area of Massachusetts that has a low number of covid cases. Summer isn’t going to look anything like a normal summer but we need summer residents and tourists more than ever right now. It’s a bit of a catch 22 but seasonal residents/tourists are vital to our economy. Cuttyhink is the same but to a much lesser degree.

Two or three times a year. We come out of Horsemeck Beach in Westport, and cross the Bay/ Ocean about 10 miles and anchor in the harbor. I started doing it when the first kids were 6 and it became the spot for summer! We occasionally take an overnight trip up to Menemsha, Tashmoo, or Frenchman’s Cove. Obama came one year and the CG came up to us for a security check of all boats in the area.

We try to help fund the Island by buying all of our victors and a lot of cooked food rather than cooking on board. Five days vacation for 6-8 people for food plus $100 gas on the Cape....priceless!

It’s a date for the Fishermans Club!
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Here are some ideas you can work on while you are waiting for the paint to dry:

- take your door handles home and rebuild them then have them refinished.
- get new keys (the nice rubber topped VW ones)cut from code and service the locks. Reorganize your Vanagon Keyring. Also consider adding a spare hide a key to your key routine.
- ask the painter to prepare a sample panel of the Vans paint finish and use it to practise paint scratch repair.
- download a copy of Micah Strongs Vanagon song and add it to one of your Van roadtrip playlists.
-add a leather wrap to your steering wheel if you haven’t already.
-

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
Here are some ideas you can work on while you are waiting for the paint to dry:

- take your door handles home and rebuild them then have them refinished.
- get new keys (the nice rubber topped VW ones)cut from code and service the locks. Reorganize your Vanagon Keyring. Also consider adding a spare hide a key to your key routine.
- ask the painter to prepare a sample panel of the Vans paint finish and use it to practise paint scratch repair.
- download a copy of Micah Strongs Vanagon song and add it to one of your Van roadtrip playlists.
-add a leather wrap to your steering wheel if you haven’t already.
-

I love the suggestions! I have the vanagon song. My son heard it one time when he was four and would walk around the house singing, “I drive a mother#%!?@ vanagon!”

I have the leather wrap and love that addition. I have big hands and the original steering wheel felt really small. My locks and handles definitely need attention. I need to find a different hide a key because since I changed the starting key, I now have a different key to open doors and only that one fits in the hide a key. I recently ordered new Westfalia stickers, emblems, diesel only stickers etc so I’m ready to roll once I receive the van. I kind of wonder now and again, why did I go for such a nice paint job. I’m going to be afraid to use the van! It was kind of nice having a van with a couple of dents and faded and peeling paint, especially with young kids. I am happy to be breathing some longevity back into the van though. As Neil Young said, rust never sleeps.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Two or three times a year. We come out of Horsemeck Beach in Westport, and cross the Bay/ Ocean about 10 miles and anchor in the harbor. I started doing it when the first kids were 6 and it became the spot for summer! We occasionally take an overnight trip up to Menemsha, Tashmoo, or Frenchman’s Cove. Obama came one year and the CG came up to us for a security check of all boats in the area.

We try to help fund the Island by buying all of our victors and a lot of cooked food rather than cooking on board. Five days vacation for 6-8 people for food plus $100 gas on the Cape....priceless!

It’s a date for the Fishermans Club!

You’re on for the fishermen’s club! (Assuming they’ll open this year.) definitely drop a line if you’re headed to menemsha. We spend a lot of time there in the summer.)

Nick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 42 of 50

Jump to: