Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farfromslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

What is this trim shine product your using? We got pretty beat up here in Brewster with storm to, we suffered some serious tree damage to our boat, hopefully you guys made out better.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Sir Sam wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:
Well I did get around to installing the big shot shifter and I have to say that I did not like the feel of it. I think it is a great product that is beautifully machined and well thought out. It just didn’t feel good to me. I felt like I was shifting my transmission with a tree limb. I can see how others would like the feel but for me it just didn’t feel right.

Could you explain what exactly you mean by "tree limb"? I've never seen this option before but it seems killer for improving the worn out shift parts. Besides a shorter throw what feels different over a proper stock shifter?

Well i guess I just didn’t like the height of the knob as compared to stock and it just felt big and cloddy to me. The knob is considerably higher than stock. I knew all of this before I purchased it but it just didn’t work out. Again, it is a really well made shifter but the ergonomics didn’t work for me. I have long arms and the lower, stock shifter just feels better. Pushing the high stick into reverse felt especially awkward. I’m sure it’s a case of just being accustomed to the stock setup and in this instance, change wasn’t a good thing. I probably just should have left my original setup alone. Don’t let my experience sway you against it. I know that most people who install the big shot shifter absolutely love it and feel that it’s a huge improvement over stock.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Farfromslow wrote:
What is this trim shine product your using? We got pretty beat up here in Brewster with storm to, we suffered some serious tree damage to our boat, hopefully you guys made out better.

Its a spray solvent that a lot of the used car guys use to restore the look of faded plastic trim on cars. It’s not a real permanent fix for restoring gel coats but it is easy to apply and it really restores the faded color back to its original shade. It’s easily found online and is pretty cheap.

Yah we had a lot of downed trees and power outages down here. We had a 60 foot sailboat wash up close to one of the main roads with the masts dangerously close to the power lines. It was a pretty good storm with gusts to 90 mph.. it was a good thing it was all rain and no snow!
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I replaced my old stock shift knob with a new leather wrapped knob from T3 Tenchnique. It does have a nice, leather wrap around the outside and nice stitching at the seam. A little touch of class up front to match the leather recaros that I plan on adding in the near future.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Roads were free of salt and we have been “vanning” around the island quite a bit lately. Last Sunday we had a great time on the beach, enjoying the unseasonably warm temperatures. Good old New England threw us a late season curve ball. Power has been out for almost 24 hours on our end of the island. Guess I’ll just have to put the van into dry dock until after the next big rain. Can’t wait for the street sweepers to show up in April.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Before the storm I had the opportunity to complete a small project. I finally got around to replacing the original single nozzle windshield sprayers with dual nozzle sprayers from Gowesty. From what I could gather, my old sprayers were original to the van and I was amazed at how there was barely enough slack in the original tubing to get the old ones off and the new ones on. I had to cut the old tubes below the original sprayers in order to get the new ones on. I attempted to heat up the tubing but it had been heated before and became brittle when attempting to do it a second time. I was lucky not to have lost the tubing down in the hole. I had just enough room to attach a pair of needle nose vise grips to the tubing (ever so gently) so as not to lose the tubing. I had to heat the non brittle section of tubing up carefully with a torch in order to get the new ones on. I made a little heat shield out of some scrap sheet metal so I didn’t do anything stupid like melt my windshield gasket or torch my paint.

I have to say that I’m loving the action of the dual nozzles though it must have taken me 20 attempts with a pin, making micro adjustments of the nozzles to get them properly aimed. Well worth the effort though. Now I just have to repaint my van so I don’t see the outlines to the original nozzle bases.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I’m not sure I’ve posted a close up of my solar setup before. I have a small Gary Lee luggage rack running lengthwise mounted on Yakima bars and I’ve mounted a 100 watt flexible panel to the underside of the rack with zip ties. The set up works well. Of course the panel does get shaded out when the rack is loaded but I find that I mostly need the power from the panel when my van is parked and we are unpacked and setup to camp. I didn’t want to penetrate my pop top just to mount a panel. I was able to route the wire through a small hole I drilled through the metal edge that holds the rear hatch gasket. I used a rubber grommet and some 5200. There is plenty of space around the rear hatch. I utilized that gap to route the wire.

gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Bad news about that seafoam green van in Florida... That WAS Jimmy Buffets and it suffered the ultimate vanagon disaster......it burned up and was a total loss
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

gchristensen wrote:
Bad news about that seafoam green van in Florida... That WAS Jimmy Buffets and it suffered the ultimate vanagon disaster......it burned up and was a total loss

Huh? I thought that burned a while ago. He probably was getting tight on funds and needed the money. (That’s a joke, don’t sue me jimmy)
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I should probably give some credit to the fine write up on Texas Vanagons where the author mounted a battery voltage display in the steering column cover. The article inspired me to find my own use for the space.

I finally got around to installing my outdoor thermometer in the steering column cover with factory cutout. I was able to find a perfect little unit that fit in the cutout with only a slight bit of filing of the edges. The unit only reads outside temps and not indoor/outdoor. I kind of like the slight retro digital look of the display. I think it fits well with my blue led dash lights. It kind brings my Vanagon closer to a late 90s early 2000 styling (or my idea of what a late 90s Vanagon would have looked like if they continued to make them for the us market.) It was a fun little project that didn’t take long to do.

Temps are dropping and they’re calling for more snow tonight on this first full day of spring! We are going to load the van and head north for a little ski trip this weekend. It should be fun.

I used the Keynice digital thermometer available on Amazon. Model number AP-185-BK US. I had to modify the steering column cover opening by about 1/16th of an inch in width and height and was able to get a nice,clean pressure fit. Also, the level of brightness of the display is perfect and doesn’t interfere with night time driving.

In case I ever want to drive my van into the center of an active volcano or molten lava field, the thermometer is capable of reading temps above 200 degrees. I think this unit is mainly used for aquariums or even greenhouses, though in the description it was also intended for use in cars.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

COOOOOL....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

That's a really attractive gauge. If I hadn't of just bought an auto-dimming mirror with compass and outside temp readout, I'd get one of those for our EV.

Have you installed your A1 PDL kit yet?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

In my last van I had been using a hazard switch in my cut out. I like your idea Nick. I've been trying to think of a way to work the cruise control into the cut out but think it might be too big.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
That's a really attractive gauge. If I hadn't of just bought an auto-dimming mirror with compass and outside temp readout, I'd get one of those for our EV.

Have you installed your A1 PDL kit yet?

I have been slacking on installing the door lock kit. I think I’ll tackle it once the weather warms up around here.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:
In my last van I had been using a hazard switch in my cut out. I like your idea Nick. I've been trying to think of a way to work the cruise control into the cut out but think it might be too big.

Nice idea with the hazard switch. Looks like a perfect fit. There are so many cool things you could do with that seat heater opening if your lucky enough to find one of those covers.

I’ve done some customizing and rebuilding of boats in the past and for some reason, vanagons remind of working on boats. It’s pretty fun coming up with ways to add to the Vanagon platform. It’s nice adding little conveniences and mods that improve the Vanagon experience. They certainly are similar to boats in terms of the money aspect. “A Vanagon is like a hole in the road that you keep pouring money into.”
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I found that switch from a place in the UK named "VW Heritage". Its a little different than the vanagon stock switch.
I also went on Amazon and ordered one of the digital thermometers like you got. I'm sure Ill find a home for it in my dash. Thanks for the lead.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:
I found that switch from a place in the UK named "VW Heritage". Its a little different than the vanagon stock switch.
I also went on Amazon and ordered one of the digital thermometers like you got. I'm sure Ill find a home for it in my dash. Thanks for the lead.

Glad you like it. I was tempted to mount a switch in that cutout for a 20” light bar that I’m planning on mounting to my bull bar. I need to find another spot to mount the switch. I hate cutting into the dash if I don’t have to and I have my cruise control mounted underneath my hazard switch so I don’t have any more space near the instrument cluster. I’ll find a decent spot but I’m going to put some thought to it before I do any cutting.

That Vw heritage site is great! I’m surprised I’ve never stumbled upon that site yet. Thanks for the tip. I may need to buy that Vw bus shaped Swiss Army knife. Smile It made me laugh but I think it’s pretty cool. Some great stuff on that site. Some hard to find parts on there for sure.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:

The thermometer comes displaying in Celsius. The package insert might be a little unclear on how the make the display read in Fahrenheit. You have to pull the little jumper straight off the back of the unit and it will switch to Fahrenheit.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I was able to tackle another project. I installed another 12 V outlet in the dash. A simple project of course but super useful as it seems these days we are always at a shortage for outlets to power our devices. I wired it to the auxiliary battery so that there is power to it at all times and not reliant on the key being in the on position or the engine running.

GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Hey Nick,
I was wondering where you mounted your sensor for the digital thermometer?
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 50

Jump to: