Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Well I finally picked up the van from the body shop and I must say that they did a nice job with the repair and paint. The Orly blue was a perfect match to the original paint. They are going to give me an estimate for a windows out paint job for next winter. I’m seriously contemplating doing it. The vans original paint is in good condition, though there is some fading and cracking in certain areas. I am just starting to see signs of surface rust underneath some of the window seals and want to get ahead of any rust and corrosion before it becomes a problem. Though these guys did a great job on the paint and repair, they attempted to put the 1.9 tdi emblem back in place and gave me a “1.6 tdi.” Oh well, easy enough to peel off the chrome letters and redo it. I laughed when I noticed it. I fixed it as soon as I got home. I paid a lot of money for those extra 3 liters.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are a couple of photos. Stopped by the Nobska Lighthouse in Woods Hole on the way back. The lighthouse was originally built in 1826 but the the light tower was replaced in 1876. The lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I also installed these tpo plastic kick plates from Terrawagen. They add a little finishing to an area that looked a little unfinished. I might still fashion my own with grey abs plastic, or spring for the ones at Gowesty that come in grey.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Mon May 14, 2018 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I figured it was also a good time to replace the rear hatch emblem with a new one from Bus Depot. The original one was almost white because much of the “chrome” finish had weathered off.

calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Sweet ride, and story to go along with it! Good luck with the engine swap, i might be going down that road soon myself. I was thinking of shipping it out to Rocky Mt in Colorado for the conversion. Let me know how your guys do...
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

calo1956 wrote:
Sweet ride, and story to go along with it! Good luck with the engine swap, i might be going down that road soon myself. I was thinking of shipping it out to Rocky Mt in Colorado for the conversion. Let me know how your guys do...

It’s funny I was all set to do the same thing and send it to Rocky Mountain Westy but I ended up driving it up to Foreign Auto and Supply in Harpswell for a tdi conversion, regear, rebuild of transaxle with limited slip. Very happy with the conversion and the work that FAS did. Top notch operation and highly recommended. If you want, pm me with any questions and I can get into specifics. I’d be more than happy to share my experience with the conversion and offer any help that I can. It’s a lot of money and a big commitment and you want to get it right the first time.

Nick
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Don't want to be an NP here as your van is gorgeous. However, I noticed that the door liner has wrinkles in it. It also has the embossed heat pressure marks that make me think it might be original. How do people deal with this? I want the original look, but mine are beat around the bottom and the plastic panel retainer clips are pretty much shot including the masonite around where they go in. Many others have used finishing washers and go with the exposed screw look since every time the door slams closed the stress on the clips works their damage over time. To say nothing of the water damage to the masonite. Mine was so warped with a bubble in the center that I soaked it with old carpet to hold the moisture in, I clamped it between a couple of pieces of ply to flatten it. Bolts through the window switch and speaker holes. After two weeks, I pulled the carpet and let it dry for three more weeks. Then I took a piece of perforated aluminum decorative screen about .025 in thickness and epoxied it in place to the back with more clamping. It came out flat, but the vinyl around the edges is still tough to re adhere in decent way.

Any thoughts on how to restore these? Did FAS rebuild and or replace them?

I'm sure yours are nice as I don't see any tears or dings in the lower edge where feet often degrade them.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I guess on my van it’s really only the passenger side lower door panel that is wrinkled. It hasn’t bothered me but I suppose I could use contact cement and try to pull it tight and glue it back down. I’m honestly thinking of springing for those expensive GoWesty leather panels if I ever get recaros. I’m a sucker for leather as I used to work in a leather shop as a teen ager, making sandals with a perpetually stoned hippie, so I do have a fondness for leather. Anyways, there are some aftermarket panels out there that I’m sure you’ve seen. It sounds like you want to keep all original. I’m going for an all out restoration in both the exterior and interior but have to do it slowly over time to be able to afford it. Also, if I run out of things to do on the van, then what?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Nick--You're a carpenter. Don't get sucked in for something that has an unnecessary mark up. Part of the problem over the years is that the backing of the door panels is masonite--untempered--and when it gets wet (window left open) it swells. My plan is to get some Okoume plywood which is used in boat building--3mm thick and transfer the original size and hole location from the masonite. Then you can cover it with leather or whatever you want. To save some bucks and have a nicer look you could use horizontal sections of different colors and even other materials such as the Recaro seat upholstery fabric, with a nice delicate trim to cover the joint. It could even be all the same leather, but wouldn't need to be a single piece and would look better. Picking up some design elements from the Recaro could add a great custom look.

Nat Benjamin probably even has some pieces lying around that you could practice on. Adhesives are tricky. Especially for vinyl. Contact cement does not hack it.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I mounted up the bike racks on the gary lee ladder and post extensions and went for a mother’s day ride down island with the family. Well, we actually never made it out for the ride (due to the unseasonably chilly weather, drizzle and a late lunch at one of our local taverns.) i figured I’d at least post a couple photos of the bike rack set up. I’m using Yakima bike racks. The setup works pretty well. I like that it utilizes the permanently mounted rear ladder and the rear tire carrier doesn’t interfere with carrying the bikes.

Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I like the Nobska pictures. I lived about 2 miles from there during high school. My parents still live nearby. It used to be my favorite road to ride on my road bike.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Weezyissuperfast wrote:
I like the Nobska pictures. I lived about 2 miles from there during high school. My parents still live nearby. It used to be my favorite road to ride on my road bike.

I love that road too. I imagine it would be a fun road for a bike because of the hilly section and the hairpin turns. Coming from the vineyard, we only have a small handful of scenic shoreline drives, so I love driving that road when we go to visit my wife’s mother in New Seabury. The road that goes by Nobska is such a quintessential, cape cod, shore line drive. It’s beautiful anytime of the year. Glad you enjoyed the photo. I would have posted more, including vineyard sound but it was pretty foggy that day. Ocean temps have been struggling to get past 50. Cool ocean water and some warm days has led to quite a bit of fog this spring.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I ride my bike past there for exercise when I’m working at MBL or WHOI

I used to jog it until my knees said enough.

If you see my COLORADO Red T4 popped in the parking lot, thats me.

That or I’m on a mooring out in the Great Harbor, or at Pinkys if it’s snotty out.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I ride my bike past there for exercise when I’m working at MBL or WHOI

I used to jog it until my knees said enough.

If you see my COLORADO Red T4 popped in the parking lot, thats me.

That or I’m on a mooring out in the Great Harbor, or at Pinkys if it’s snotty out.

Yes I believe I have seen your van. There is also a burgundy syncro I see around falmouth/Woods hole area quite often. My kids usually spot it and then argue over who saw it first.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I finally got around to installing my GoWesty lift assist springs. Wow, what a difference. I really don’t know why I waited so long to install them. I bought them years ago and they’ve been lying around my cabinet shop collecting dust. I originally debated whether to do the Jack Bombay struts or GoWesty and I chose the GoWesty because I liked the idea of having two mounting locations if needed and not needing a different pair of struts. Also, I liked the idea of the upper bracket being mounted through the aluminum rail holding the tent in place. Nothing wrong with the Bombay struts and in fact I’m sure they install faster and offer just as much lifting force. The Bombay’s look like a really well thought out product and I know people love them. I did however like the idea of the dust shields on the GoWesty springs which will protect the tent from the oil on the piston shaft. It’s probably not a big risk or issue but it was one other thing that pushed me towards the GoWesty springs. In terms of performance, absolutely amazing. To lift my top, I unlatch the closer and barely nudge the top up and it basically lifts on its own. Simple to close also, with very little effort.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Have made a few trips off island recently. We made it off yesterday to go see Dead and Company at the Xfinity center in Mansfield Ma. We saw one Westy in route and another in the parking lot at the show. We had a lot of admirers of the van while enjoying a couple cocktails with the side door open and the table set up. It was a great show and a nice evening for my wife and I together without kids.

We almost had an incident on the way out when some drunk a-hole almost drove through our van and through a woman who had come up to the window to express how much she loved the van. It was a little tense, with some harsh words exchanged. I’m just glad the woman wasn’t hurt and that I’m not calling an insurance adjuster today to have any damage appraised. It really was a matter of inches. I’m also hoping that car load of sub humans didn’t hurt anyone on the way back to their cave last night. The driver could barely utter the F Bombs he was dropping and there certainly wasn’t a qualified driver in any of the other seats in the car.

The van, once again, performed beautifully. No surprises as expected. It’s amazing how stress free (besides the near accident) these trips are now that I have replaced just about every original, ailing component with either new or rebuilt components. The tdi and transmission feel stout as hell and I have a high level of confidence in their performance. It is a 27 year old vehicle so I never leave home without my Bentley, a small array of parts and my tool kit.

We are planning on making it to Nova Scotia this year. It is a trip I’ve dreamt of doing for years and really look forward to the adventure.

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

That sounds like a great show. One of the hazards I guess of concert parking. It could be Lion King on Ice and I am sure it would be just as dangerous. Van is looking good as always.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
That sounds like a great show. One of the hazards I guess of concert parking. It could be Lion King on Ice and I am sure it would be just as dangerous. Van is looking good as always.

Very true about the lion king. could have been anywhere. One of the greatest quotes from the “incident” last night was from a bystander who upon hearing the f bombs fly, said, “what, are we at a Metallica concert?” That actually made me laugh even though my heart was still pounding from almost watching a woman be pinned to the side of our van.

Is your van in the hands of Jon and crew of Fas yet? Have you received any progress photos yet? It is a bit of a lengthy process so I’d be surprised if they made it far into you conversion at this point. Even still, you must be counting the days.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

No not yet. My build date is August/Sept. I asked them to bump me up if they have any openings. Right now I am just getting little things sorted out lock actuators, aux battery, led headlights etc. I really can't wait. The parts are just piling up for when it comes time.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I think this might be the third weekend in a row that we have ventured off island with the van. We aren’t headed far, just over to the cape to meet up with some friends and to camp out with the van. We brought a bunch of toys (fishing gear, paddle boards, scooters etc.) looking forward to a fun and relaxing weekend.

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I like how you have the poles strapped to the awning. That's smart!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 50

Jump to: