Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

erste wrote:
I like how you have the poles strapped to the awning. That's smart!

A couple of Velcro straps and they’re on there real solid. I’m a bit of a stickler about keeping the interior clear of clutter. Those fishing rods are strapped to that awning all season. You never know when I might see a school of striped bass or false albacore breaking the surface.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

There are times when a Vanagon really comes in handy. Like when your wife insists on taking a shopping detour and I say, “of course you should go shopping. I’ll just lay on the bench and watch round three of the world surf league contest at Uluwatu in Bali, live. Take your time!”

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Had a great weekend off island with the family and friends and the van. I must say that my wife and I and our two kids slept incredibly well in the van. I feel like it has taken a little while to dial in the comfort in terms of sleeping. The 2” memory foam topper from GoWesty has been a great addition to the bottom bunk and the kids sleep well on a regular 2” foam topper from GoWesty on the upper bunk. I know many of you have been doing this for years but I find that using the leveling blocks to make it so that our heads are slightly higher than the level of our feet when lying down allows us to have a comfortable nights sleep.

The first nights camping spot at grandmas house.

Silver beach harbor (just inside of Wild Harbor) Falmouth Ma. Great spot for the kids. Spent the day on our friends boat, the kids played on the playground and lots of paddle boarding around the harbor with the kids and their friends.

Our second night driveway campsite. Not really camping but when all the other beds inside the house are full, the van really comes in handy. I’m starting to prefer sleeping in the van as opposed to someone’s guest room. Our van has become our home away from home, our rolling treehouse and our mobile, waterfront property.

Back on the ferry heading for home.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

For anyone looking for a convenient way to light up the upper bunk in their van or any place inside or outside the van, these Luminoodles are great. We have a few of them. You can either use usb power (a usb extension cord is a handy thing to have) or you can power them off of the supplied, rechargeable battery pack that doubles as a flashlight. I lay a Luminoodle down along each side of the upper bunk and it projects a nice, warm soft light upwards. The light strips have a few internal magnets every foot or so that helps to anchor them in place in many different configurations. I’ve found these lights to be pretty versatile and helpful around our van. They’re perfect for lighting up an awning. The nylon carrying bag doubles as a lantern. Just coil up the Luminoodle and stuff it in the bag and makes a nice, diffused lantern.

The night time photo of the van above has been edited and the lighting is a lot brighter in the photo than in reality. The luminoodles definitely cast a warm, soft light.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Been using the van quite a bit lately. A few off island trips and plenty of island time with it as well. It has become our mobile beach assault vehicle. We’ve been parking it, popping the top and using it as base camp during our beach outings. It is the perfect vehicle to match our beach-centric lifestyle. The FAS tdi conversion and transaxle re-gear and rebuild continue to perform beautifully. At the time, the cost seemed monumental but we are so happy with our decision and it was definitely worth every penny we put into it.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Awesome looks like you are really enjoying the summer. Question about your road shower. What size did you go with and do you wish you would have gone larger? You probably use it for rinsing off saltwater off yourself and gear.

Mine would be mainly used for rinsing off two muddy or dirty dogs. I have gotten away with two 12 oz water bottles with holes stabbed into the cap overseas but it will take a lot more for my mutts.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Awesome looks like you are really enjoying the summer. Question about your road shower. What size did you go with and do you wish you would have gone larger? You probably use it for rinsing off saltwater off yourself and gear.

Mine would be mainly used for rinsing off two muddy or dirty dogs. I have gotten away with two 12 oz water bottles with holes stabbed into the cap overseas but it will take a lot more for my mutts.

I really like the the size of the road shower that we have. It was one of the original ones and I believe it’s the 5 gallon size. They are making a bigger one I guess but for us it seems to be the right amount of water. It’s still allows us to pop the top with the addition of the go Westy lift assist springs mounted in the forward position. We could lift it before installing the springs but it was a real chore. It was only a matter of time before I threw my back or neck out. Popping the top is still effortless with the GoWesty springs but I feel like the bigger Road shower could pose an issue with popping the top. We mainly use the shower for rinsing off our two young kids at the end of a beach day. It is plenty of water for that. The main trick is to fill it about 2/3 of the way full and that way you can get more pressurized air into it and a longer shower out of it.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Met up with some good friends of ours for a day on the beach. They drove up from Louisiana to spend two weeks on the vineyard. Some of you may recognize their van from being listed here on the Samba last year. Pretty sweet and well sorted multivan with a Rocky Jennings 2.3 and a huge list of upgrades too numerous to mention.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

That looks like Samba user Slikrock's van. Did they get in Utah? Long drive from Louisiana!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
That looks like Samba user Slikrock's van. Did they get in Utah? Long drive from Louisiana!

Yes indeed, that is the van. Long drive for sure. A few issues along the way but nothing too bad. Blake, one of the new owners has been getting a crash course in “mechanic-ing.” Though they’ve had a few minor issues, it’s been a great purchase for them so far.

I love the sound of the RJ waterboxer with the vanistan exhaust. Sounds pretty mean.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

It’s been a week of Vw van owning guests. Here’s our friend John’s eurovan, visiting from western mass. John is obsessed with seeing live folk music around the east coast and uses his van to go on many musical adventures. He is a wellspring of knowledge when it comes to music and through his good natured personality has become friends with many of the musicians that he sees, like Dave Alvin and John Prine to name a few.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Our tdi conversion has hit 12,000 miles. I took the van to my mechanic for an oil change, tire rotation and a diesel “tighten up” and came across this pretty decent Rialta. There’s usually one Vanagon in his lot and a whole bevy of German vehicles, mostly Volkswagens awaiting mechanical work. Sometimes it’s difficult finding a good mechanic in your area and I feel lucky that I have one who has embraced my Tdi conversion and is willing to work on it. It’s definitely something to consider if contemplating an engine conversion and if your own mechanical abilities are limited like mine.

Im just thankful that they didn’t lift the van so high that they crushed my roof cage through my pop top. Now that would have sucked. I actually reminded them of the height simply because you never know if it’s the apprenticing 17 year old kid that is on the lift controls for the first time.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I just received my t shirts from a company that Hodakaguy recommended in a recent thread. The company can be found at www.instagram.com/coleyscrafts520/ in case anyone is interested in having one made. Here is what Nicole of Coleyscratfs did with my photo. Nicole was easy to communicate with and tweaked the design to my liking. I received my shirts about 1 week after ordering. I think they came out great.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

We are finally getting around to planning a trip up to Nova Scotia and cape Breton in September. We are hoping to catch some surf while up there and would love to hear about some spots that people enjoyed. We are looking for any recommendations especially if anyone knows of any wild camping spots away from the masses. We are looking to do a combination of bed and breakfasts and Vanagon camping. We would love to hear about some of your experiences and “must sees.”
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

When I go up that way I am always in a small airplane going to a friend’s private airstrip. There are some roads on the north side of the Bay of Fundy just West of Saint John I would just love to drive not to mention watching the Bay of Fundy tides going in and out. If you want to go out back camping there are logging roads everywhere where you would never see any one. Charlotte town on Prince Edward Island is of course a wonderful little tourist town with a few great restaurants and duck boatp tours. You are also close to Halifax. The last time I was there there was a tall ship festival going on. I think a lot of tall ships hang out there in the summer. Have a great trip. John
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
We are finally getting around to planning a trip up to Nova Scotia and cape Breton in September. We are hoping to catch some surf while up there and would love to hear about some spots that people enjoyed. We are looking for any recommendations especially if anyone knows of any wild camping spots away from the masses. We are looking to do a combination of bed and breakfasts and Vanagon camping. We would love to hear about some of your experiences and “must sees.”

Sounds like a great trip! Sadly I can't offer any insight, but this is one of my favorite Samba trip reports:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372669

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
When I go up that way I am always in a small airplane going to a friend’s private airstrip. There are some roads on the north side of the Bay of Fundy just West of Saint John I would just love to drive not to mention watching the Bay of Fundy tides going in and out. If you want to go out back camping there are logging roads everywhere where you would never see any one. Charlotte town on Prince Edward Island is of course a wonderful little tourist town with a few great restaurants and duck boatp tours. You are also close to Halifax. The last time I was there there was a tall ship festival going on. I think a lot of tall ships hang out there in the summer. Have a great trip. John

Thanks for the tips. I’ve always wanted to check out Prince Edward Island and to check out the tuna fishing that goes on up there in September. A lot of the local lobsterman will charter out their boats for the day to give people a chance at reeling in a giant bluefin. A lot of the 1000 pound plus tuna congregate near shore to bulk up before their journey south or across the Atlantic. I’m not sure we can go wrong exploring up that way.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:

Sounds like a great trip! Sadly I can't offer any insight, but this is one of my favorite Samba trip reports:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372669

One of the best trip reports put together on this site. I just went through most of it last night. Quite an adventure with great writing and awesome photographs.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Well I finally got around to installing the rear, three point seat belts. They took a little longer than expected but all in all it wasn’t too bad. Both belts probably took a little over an hour. I’m happy to have safer seats for whomever is sitting on the rear bench.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I’ve had a couple of rare, island Vanagon and eurovan sightings recently. I spotted this tin top from New Hampshire at lobsterville this morning. I wonder if it’s a samba member?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 50

Jump to: