Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I finally got around to installing my gowesty skylight replacement kit. I’ve got to say it wasn’t much fun, took longer than I expected and the knob is a certified piece of $&@!. It broke with one lifting of the skylight and I was careful not to overtighten the Phillips head screw that holds it into place. There has got to be a better product out there than that thin walled knob that is included with the skylight. It was one of the things that broke on the skylight I was replacing. I’m really hoping that Campervan culture finally gets in their solar powered vented fan skylights so I don’t have to bother with the lifting mechanism. Wondering if people out there have a better solution to the poor design and quality of some of the replacement parts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yesterday I had a little issue with my stick shift. All of a sudden the shifting got really difficult and while in neutral I could hear a slight strain. I immediately pulled over and the shift gate for 3rd and 4th had lost one of the 10mm bolts which fasten it to the left side of the shift box. I almost didn’t notice it because the gate looked normal but I wiggled things around and saw the gate pivot and fall. I tightened the heck out of the remaining bolt and straightened it out and it held long enough to drive the three miles home where I had an extra 10mm bolt. This time I used some thread lock and a lock washer on both bolts.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I replaced my sky vent last year (vent cover, latch, seal) because the old vent cover started spider webbing and the little wheels on the lever that holds onto the latch guide disintegrated. Now the little levers and the plasic guides never seat properly on the guides. I also have to crank down incredibly hard (to the point of feeling like I am going to break the latch and wheel) in order for it to seal completely otherwise when water pools around the vent it will leak.

That vent cover with a solar fan seems pretty nice. If the van ever breaks seems like you could still open and close the vent as normal. Just put my name on the notify list.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

If I were building a Westfalia from scratch, I'd look for an early roof with no skylight opening (like I had on my 81). I think the solution is just leave it closed. I've got new parts, and it still doesn't work all that well.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Nick--I'm a bit surprised that you live in boat country and don't have a Lewmar hatch on your perfectly beautiful craft. Marine hatches, especially those made by Lewmar do not fail, AND they keep the water out. Yes, it might take some fiberglass work to get a really good marine hatch to fit, but there would never be a problem afterwards. I have a 25 year old one on my boat which lives in salt water and storms and has never leaked, required replacement parts or failed in any way. I regularly stand on it while working on deck and it doesn't complain.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
We are finally getting around to planning a trip up to Nova Scotia and cape Breton in September. We are hoping to catch some surf while up there and would love to hear about some spots that people enjoyed. We are looking for any recommendations especially if anyone knows of any wild camping spots away from the masses. We are looking to do a combination of bed and breakfasts and Vanagon camping. We would love to hear about some of your experiences and “must sees.”

While I can't comment on surf spots - I surf, but have only bike toured around Nova Scotia- I can't recommend this guide book enough for the back roads, beauty, culture, and campground suggestions it provides.

https://www.amazon.com/Cyclists-Canadas-Playground-Scotia-Bicycle/dp/096974580X

There is no such thing as a bad campground in cape Breton highlands np itself, they're all awesome. Meat cove is legendary for a reason. But really, it's all fantastic I rode my bike from Halifax around cape Breton and back using the book above and never had a bad day, have fun!
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Nick--I'm a bit surprised that you live in boat country and don't have a Lewmar hatch on your perfectly beautiful craft. Marine hatches, especially those made by Lewmar do not fail, AND they keep the water out. Yes, it might take some fiberglass work to get a really good marine hatch to fit, but there would never be a problem afterwards. I have a 25 year old one on my boat which lives in salt water and storms and has never leaked, required replacement parts or failed in any way. I regularly stand on it while working on deck and it doesn't complain.

Those lewmar hatches are nice but cutting into my pop top is about the last mod I think I’d get into unless I found a direct bolt on hatch that could work with the westfslia sized opening. Though I’ve done a lot of resin and epoxy work in the past, there would be a good chance I’d get resin on my nice clean roof flocking and I’d hate to mess with the drain channels that westfalia designed around the skylight. I think like someone has already mentioned, just keep the darn thing closed unless absolutely necessary. I have a three window tent and I get plenty of ventilation when camping. My main problem is with the stupid knob that breaks after two uses. The next knob I get I’m going to epoxy into the knurled teeth of the opening mechanism and screw it on permanently. I can see that working quite well. I should have done it with this knob. I just ordered two more from buslab.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I had to finally give up on my stock, power door lock system last night. The passenger side door got stuck in the lock position. I had to access the actuator after prying back the upper corner of the door panel. The actuator was frozen in the lock position, so I removed the screws holding it to the door and I unplugged all the actuators in each door. I had to reach inside the door to unlock the actual mechanism as neither the key, or the interior or exterior door handle would not release the mech. For now, I’m going old school and sticking with manual locks. I do have a keyless entry system with new actuators but I’m kind of liking the symplicity of manual locks. The power locks have plagued me since the first day I took ownership of the van. I’m sure it was a combo of a bad actuator and a broken wire in the door boot but I’m sick of dealing with locks that move up and down on their own, having to pull both locks up at the same time to unlock the doors and now the final straw, a passenger door that was stuck in the lock position. Good riddance!
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I had a fellow samba member from the mainland come and check out my van the other day. I let him take it for a test drive as he is trying to decide what to do next with his multivan. He is contemplating a Fas tdi conversion though he has done a few subaru conversions in the past and has a low mile svx engine in his possession that he’s also contemplating using for a conversion. He was very knowledgeable about vans, having owned a few over the years and he even owned a syncro sunroof. It was nice to talk Vans with someone who knows them inside and out (unlike myself).
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Once you install the reliable remote system, you'll wonder why you took so long. Just push the button and hear the clicks...every time

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

The van has been running great though I’ve had a slight hesitation when accelerating at a higher rate than normal driving and have been hearing what is most definitly a cv noise while cornering.

I stopped by my local mechanics shop today to talk cv joints (I’ve been hearing a little ticking around corners and feeling a slight hesitation in 3rd and 4th gear.) We went for a cruise and he agreed that it was a cv sound and that the hesitation could be related. While I was back at his shop I mentioned to him that after the last oil change that I noticed a bunch of oil below the oil filter housing and he suggested that he clean it up and apologized that any was left there after the oil change. While cleaning up the oil he noticed that one of my engine mount bolts was missing and that one of the other ones was loose. I’m not sure I would have picked up on that as it was not in a highly visible location. I will certainly put it on my radar to check and recheck all mounts in the future. He did a full tighten up on all the existing bolts for the transmission and engine mounts and replaced the missing one, adding loctite and a lock washer. I knew that diesels can rattle things apart but I will be more vigilant in the future in checking connections and mounts.

I know the subject of bigger, stronger axles and joints with smaller balls (uhh) is highly debatable but after having a lengthy conversation with Burley today, I have decided upon his 930 cv and axle kit. I’ll be especially careful to re torque the cv bolts after putting some miles on the new ones. I think the torque of the tdi and the height of my drive train requires a cv that can handle the increased axle angle. Also, I think maybe the loose engine mount transferred more vibration through the transmission and through the cvs and lead to premature wear of the joints. I’m looking forward to installing the kit as it was an upgrade that I was contemplating when Fas was doing the conversion. I balked on it at the time but im now wishing I had sprung for it.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

The view from the Westy lounge (thanks Boxeer.) The only problem was that a woman (who I barely know) kept coming over and starting her sentences with, “I know you’re resting or I know you’re trying to relax, or I know I’m probably bothering you.” Well guess what, after about the fourth time, yes you were bothering me. I was trying to do a little reading as I’ve had some rare work days off lately. Next time I’m popping the top and hitting the upper bunk in hopes she can’t see me up there. She’s actually a pretty nice local woman but she seems to have issues with boundaries. I know she didn’t mean any harm and wasn’t trying to be a pest but man! Oh well, the view from the back was great and I did manage to have some relaxing moments.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I stumbled upon this beauty down in edgartown the other day. It had what looked like a for sale sign on the back so I couldn’t resist and checked it out. It turned out to be a dealer plate. I wonder what the deal is with this one. It looked beautifully restored. Now that I own a Vanagon, im sure it’s way out of my budget.

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Next time lounge in a speedo.

I had 930 axles in mind but cheaped out and got 944 axles from VC (looks like they don't have full axle assemblies anymore only joints). I will see how this goes and probably jump to the 930s next.

Glad you post these things really gives insight on what to expect.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Next time lounge in a speedo.

I had 930 axles in mind but cheaped out and got 944 axles from VC (looks like they don't have full axle assemblies anymore only joints). I will see how this goes and probably jump to the 930s next.

Glad you post these things really gives insight on what to expect.

Who’s to say I wasn’t lounging in my speedo, hence all the visits from this woman. No wonder she kept coming back. I thought it was just to bother me.

I know some of my posts are a little boring but I’m really trying to capture the entire picture especially of the conversion so others can learn what to do and what not to do. When it comes to vanagons I am a novice and so I’m hoping that some of my mistakes and oversights will help to educate people on what works and what doesn’t work. I guess I can’t stress trusting ones own instincts enough. The 930s are a good example of something I knew I should have gone with from the get go. They may or may not be th cure and time will tell if they take care of the issue. I think it is helpful to post about these things and to follow up with how things perform over time. It’s hard because what works for one persons van may not work for another because of all the other variables, ie suspension, height of the drive train and so on. I have to say that it’s nice to have so many people in the Vanagon realm that really care about their products and service. Jon of FAS and Burley seem to really care and couldn’t be more helpful to a relative newcomer like myself.

I’m getting excited for you, as you must be approaching your scheduled conversion up at FAS.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I should probably add that if for some reason the 930s give me trouble, it’s not the parts fault or the suppliers fault or anyone fault for that matter. Like I said, every van is different and more importantly, everyone’s driving style is different and we all put our vans through different paces and demands. What may work for one person’s van may not work for another. It’s all one big experiment and we are all contributing to the overall roadmap and wealth of knowledge by being willing to be a guinea pig in some sense for each modification and upgrade. This site has been invaluable in terms of being able to find a consensus on certain subjects and learning from the experience of others. Even the most well sorted van requires constant upkeep, maintenance and repairs. I believe it’s one of the things that connects people to their vans so much and much more so than a lot of other vehicles. The constant maintenance and vigilance it requires to keep a vanagon road trip worthy and from being a constant break down worry is what keeps us connected to these things to the point to where one could believe that these rectangular, rolling boxes have a soul.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:

I know some of my posts are a little boring

False. They're entertaining and informative.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:

I know some of my posts are a little boring

False. They're entertaining and informative.

Thanks for the support! I hope to keep it entertaining and informative in the future. I’m not sure this thread will ever end as I want to continually upgrade and hope to transition into more of a trip report as we start heading out on bigger adventures with the van. Thanks for the support.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I actually forgot what my thought process was on why I went with 944 instead of 930. I thought it was the cost but it was so I could just have my rebuilt stock axles as spares when I travel. With the 930 I wouldn't be able to do that.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

[quote="Multiman mv"]
joetiger wrote:
I’m not sure this thread will ever end as I want to continually upgrade and hope to transition into more of a trip report as we start heading out on bigger adventures with the van. Thanks for the support.

De nada! I continue to enjoy this thread. In retrospect I wish I'd done my 2wd van as one big one (which would now span 13 years) but instead I've got threads spread out all over the place.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I had some wonderful help the other day from my daughter Charlotte. She helped me wash, dry and wax the outside, clean the inside of the windows and armor all the dash. She really stuck with it and in the mean time we both had some quality time together, laughing, listening to some good tunes and generally having a great time. I’m trying to teach our kids to appreciate the things that they have, especially the things they work hard for and to treat things with respect. So far it seems to be working. The other day I found her cleaning her bike. Now if I could only get her to clean up the playroom?

I got a new knob for the skylight and mixed a little west system epoxy and spread the epoxy on the inside of where the knob slides onto the knurled teeth of the skylight opening mechanism and then screwed it on. It seems to be super solid and shouldn’t break like the last three knobs have. I’m sure it will be a little bit of a pita if I ever do need to replace it. Worse comes to worse, I have to buy another opening mechanism and knob.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 50

Jump to: