Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

That's the first I've seen of that redesigned trans mount. Really cool stuff.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
HBB wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:
Thank you to Jon_slider for recommending the Eberspacher diesel heater muffler. I can be a bit of a freak about annoying noises. This product really seems to limit the noise coming out of the heater exhaust.

There are mufflers available for the Espar intake as well. They are about $30. I fitted by Espar D2 with one, and it made more of a difference than I would have expected.

Thanks for the tip. I did not know this. I will definitely look into it and most likely purchase one. I'd really like to limit the noise as much as possible for everyone inside and outside the van. Thanks

Nick

Thanks again for the tip. I did end up buying that muffler for the intake.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Thank you all for the interest in the project. I'm really glad people are enjoying the photos and the process. I'll post more photos as soon as I receive them from FAS.

I felt compelled to start the thread and share the conversion process for a few reasons (though I think it was actually Zeitgeist 13 who originally recommended in the "pre-runner thread" that I start one about my conversion. I also started the thread because I couldn't find another build thread for a FAS conversion. I'm hoping it will help anyone contemplating a FAS kit or conversion in house. I have a great appreciation for people who are good at their craft and who are meticulous and FAS definitely meet these criteria.

I was really impressed with FAS when I started to look into them and even more impressed after meeting Jon. Jon's passion for Vw's and especially Vanagons was very apparent. I was very impressed with how enthusiastic Jon was about Vw's, Vanagons, conversions, and impressed by all of the work that FAS puts into research and development. I don't know a lot about FAS' history but I know that Jon was a fairly big player in helping the tiico conversion take a foothold in the earlier days here in the U.S and has now put a lot of time and effort into their "Gen V" conversion program which they have had a lot of success with their Vw inline gas, gas turbo and tdi conversions. Now I can't exactly speak about the success of my conversion until I have had time to drive it and really put it to the test but I can give them very high marks for how they have handled the conversion through this point. They have been spot on with their quote and estimates and have been excellent communicators. Though the conversion process has taken a little longer than expected, it has still fallen within the time period that they originally estimated. I made the cardinal sin of making a payment for services to be rendered prior to services actually being rendered. I actually paid the total invoice prior to any work ever being performed on my Van. I paid them in full because I wanted the money out of my hands. Now obviously this is not a smart thing to do but I felt confident that it would work out and it did. They have completely honored their end of the deal without hesitation. These guys are a class act all the way.

Thanks again for your interest in the build and I'll post more photos as soon as I can. I'm hoping that I'll be able to post a video or link to a video of the van being fired up this week.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Though the interior on my van is near pristine I have been able to hunt down some items I thought needed updating. The rear cushion came to me with a huge ink stain. We just flipped it over so the tag sewn onto it was facing upwards but no ink stain showing. I was however able to track down a brand new, in the box cushion from the westfalia factory through Jed at Campervan Culture. I check his site often and it's a good source for hard to find Westfalia parts and accessories. I also found the rear, passenger side panel that I will replace once I have time to take the bench out again. I want to replace the panel because someone tried to clean it with something that stained it slightly. It probably wouldn't bother most people but I wanted to bring the panel up to the condition of the rest of the van. I also replaced the bench seat kick panel which is readily available through gowesty. Pictured below is the old panel which I am keeping around just in case (I have two small kids and you never know.) I have been careful to make sure old parts stay within the Vw community instead of the scrap or junk yard. I will be mailing a window regulator and two non functional power door lock actuators to gowesty. I at least know that they will revive them and keep them in the pool of available parts for someone else.

Old and brand new rear cushion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cushion still in the Westfalia box. Not an easy to find item.

New, rear passenger side panel.

Original rear bench kick panel.

ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

is that the right side panel for your Multivan? I would have thought it would have had the bump out for the L bracket and not the indent for the Pins on the USA Carat's.

Carat:

pin for seat latch

Multivan and weekender bump for the back rest to rest against

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Yes, quite an astute observation. It was sold as a "multivan" panel though it does not have the bumpout. In the photo it looked like there was a bumpout though it is actually indented. I'm pretty sure all I have to do is pad out the metal L bracket that supports the backrest of the seat though maybe not the greatest option. That L bracket would probably poke into you when sleeping but I'm going to try padding it. The panels are so difficult to come by I figured I better grab it. I'm not sure about the length of the panel but when I compared the two they seemed to match up. If it doesn't work I'll just put it up for sale. Everything else seems identical to the multivan panel. I was told that it will fit a multivan when I purchased it. I have to check it out when I get the van back.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

That there is a Carat panel for sure. Most people assume that a Multivan/Weekender panel is the same as a carat. You've found the difference.

I see people selling them here on Samba as though they are all the same.

Beautiful van, I also have a Multivan but a Bastard as it is put in a Syncro. The room is nice, but I sometimes miss the kitchen.

Looks like you have covered most of the big stuff, what about the power windows, They can be working perfectly and fail in a minute. If you have not addressed them send me a PM as I rebuild them and make them better then new.

I have all parts to fix any ill, but most likely yours can just be serviced and it will be on less potential failure point.

Yes they make new Offshore parts but their standards are dodgy and they have the same failure points plus a few more.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
That there is a Carat panel for sure. Most people assume that a Multivan/Weekender panel is the same as a carat. You've found the difference.

I see people selling them here on Samba as though they are all the same.

Beautiful van, I also have a Multivan but a Bastard as it is put in a Syncro. The room is nice, but I sometimes miss the kitchen.

Looks like you have covered most of the big stuff, what about the power windows, They can be working perfectly and fail in a minute. If you have not addressed them send me a PM as I rebuild them and make them better then new.

I have all parts to fix any ill, but most likely yours can just be serviced and it will be on less potential failure point.

Yes they make new Offshore parts but their standards are dodgy and they have the same failure points plus a few more.

Stacy

Well I'm glad I didn't tear my van apart just to put in that panel. I'll probably just put it up for sale. Thanks for pointing it out. I guess I'll have to still hunt one down. I should probably point that out to cvc. I was pretty stoked to find that rear cushion. I had been looking for over a year and they seem to be pretty tough to find.

I think I have an old window regulator kicking around that I could send you if you want? I've had decent luck with my power windows though Ive replaced that regulator and a switch. My power door locks have gone into full blown poltergeist mode when trying to unlock. They go up and down until I get back into the van and have to pull them both up at the same time. That's the only thing that stops them from going up and down. I think it's actually just a frayed wire though I haven't fully investigated. I have the two actuators if you have a use for them. I think they are mostly still operational though it looks like someone tried to fix one with a little silicone.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

x2. Looks like FAS made that tranny mount system to help stabilize the drivetrain. [edit: maybe specifically for a diesel swap?] These are just a WAG's on the part of an amateur, but even though that bracket/mount system may be "looking forward" to higher HP/torque Gen V swaps, I can't help but wonder if a significant contributor to exhaust cracking on *some* VW inline swaps has to do with insufficient, worn engine mounts etc. allowing the drivetrain to "shake" at certain RPM. IOW IF the drivetrain "shakes" too much at certain RPM's and exhaust is mounted to the engine, the exhaust might well be "shaking". Like waggling a long stick held in one hand.

Sorry for the hijack attempt.

Thanks for the images and information Multiman mv.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

x2. Looks like FAS made that tranny mount system to help stabilize the drivetrain. [edit: maybe specifically for a diesel swap?] These are just a WAG's on the part of an amateur, but even though that bracket/mount system may be "looking forward" to higher HP/torque Gen V swaps, I can't help but wonder if a significant contributor to exhaust cracking on *some* VW inline swaps has to do with insufficient, worn engine mounts etc. allowing the drivetrain to "shake" at certain RPM. IOW IF the drivetrain "shakes" too much at certain RPM's and exhaust is mounted to the engine, the exhaust might well be "shaking". Like waggling a long stick held in one hand.

Sorry for the hijack attempt.

Thanks for the images and information Multiman mv.

Yes I think you are correct in thinking that the transmission mount is an attempt to tame the torque of the tdi. I'm not sure if FAS uses the same mount on the gas or gas turbo conversions but I'm assuming that they do. I'll get some more info on the mount when I meet with FAS next.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I purchased the "Westy lounge" hinge hardware from Boxeer. Does anyone know if this hardware works on a multivan? Not sure if it works. I want to make sure before I go cutting rivets off of my bench hinges. Also wondering if the springs are part of the bench hardware or if they come with the Westy lounge hardware. My Westy lounge hardware did not come with the springs so I'm assuming they are part of the bench. I do not have my van nearby to answer my own question. Is the hinge mechanism of a full camper the same as the hardware of a multivan? Anyone with a multivan ever try this?

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Still waiting for a full update from FAS before I post any updates. I don't want to post any info that is incorrect so I'll wait until I get the full low down from Chris this week. They are hoping to get the van fired up early this week and it should be ready for pickup sometime next week. Please wish me luck getting a ferry reservation to Martha's Vineyard 1 week before the Fourth of July. I was really hoping the van was finished before full tourist season down here. The MV ferry is a real PITA this time of year!

Even my kids have been missing the van. The van is so much a part of our family that they insisted we make a cardboard Vanagon so they could go on a camping trip.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Here are some long awaited new photos of the conversion.

Air box setup

A good look from street level.

Espar exhaust

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Pretty stuff as usual. You should ask FAS if they know of a diesel catalyst that can fit in place of that short section of exhaust between the flex section and the muffler.

y u rune klassik?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Pretty stuff as usual. You should ask FAS if they know of a diesel catalyst that can fit in place of that short section of exhaust between the flex section and the muffler.

I did ask them the last time I was up there if they used a diesel cat and they told me that they went with a test pipe. Now of course I can't remember there reasoning but they assured me that the setup was quiet. The one FAS tdi conversion I went for a test ride in was remarkably quiet. What is your take on it? I value everyone's opinion and I know you certainly know your way around a tdi conversion. Any advice is greatly appreciated and considered. Thanks.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

That thing is unbearably clean .
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
That thing is unbearably clean .

Exactly. Shocked

I'm loving the photos. Thanks for sharing!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I opted to install a cat both for noise and a concern about diesel stank when having to idle for any length of time. I still haven't fired mine up so I don't have any performance feedback yet. I was just curious to hear back about what FAS thought about that issue. I do know that Karl Mullendore who's way way more knowledgeable than me does recommend a cat.

y u rune klassik?
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Hey there. I'm not sure myself if the multivan use the same hardware mechanism that the full westy...

Maybe somebody from the forum van lean under the bench and tell me? Look at the video I made It should have the same spring loaded hardware unless it is broken.

Greg

travel pictures:
http://instagram.com/crepeattack/

- the Pastis build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656&highlight=subaru+diesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

syncrogreg wrote:
Hey there. I'm not sure myself if the multivan use the same hardware mechanism that the full westy...

Maybe somebody from the forum van lean under the bench and tell me? Look at the video I made It should have the same spring loaded hardware unless it is broken.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for chiming in. I really like the concept and I hope I can make it work. I imagine it's the same hardware as the full camper. I'll be able to tell next week when I get the van back.

Nick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 50

Jump to: