Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I finally got around to swapping out the bearing housings yesterday. Kind of a pain since i had just swapped out the bearings just a few weeks earlier. I was thankful to have a buddy helping me out on this one as the process was getting a little old. The old housings were played out as i had experienced bearing failure after only 10 months (they had been replaced last year.) I also took the opportunity to replace the bushing on my shift linkage that was worn out. Ended up using the newer, gowesty style with the dust bellows. I just did the forward bushing at this time. I have the linkage rebuild kit but didnt get into replacing the other components at this time. I think when my 025 Motorsports shifter comes from T3 technique I’ll replace the rest of the linkage parts. You can barely make out my witness marks on the spline side of the shaft (small v shape etched at top of splines and light file mark across the splines. Ive found that witness marks made with a sharpie just rub off a lot of the time. My marks were more visible before i slid the bushing on which was covered in grease. Since they were etched I could easily find them after wiping the grease off. I made some small adjustments from my marks which made the shifting a little bit smoother. The bushing definitely took some of the slop out of the shifting as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:04 am; edited 6 times in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I note the metal pad under the jack stand in the uneven surface and salute your safe practices.

Don’t forget to preload your rear bearings

(Giggle giggle giggle back under my bridge)
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Thank you. Im kind of a safety nut. Seen too many accidents on job sites over the years, all that were pretty much avoidable.

Yes the old pre load debate.... i have my thoughts and i can see they are the same as yours. I’ll leave it at that. 🤙
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Finally got around to replacing my torn power steering rack boot. I ended up going with the silicone boots from Alika Motorsports (thanks Alika). I also got an alignment at the same time and tire rotation. I must say that since installing Burleys upper control arms, my van has stayed true for almost three years. I had significant alignment issues prior to installing the Burley arms because of the 1 1/2” lift. For anyone who is having alignment issues and has a lifted van, definitely look into the Burley UCA’s.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I have taken my doors apart so many times, replacing windows motors and regulators and my stock door handles were getting pretty beaten up. I ended up buying a pair of cnc’d, aluminum handles from Syncro times. They are expensive for what they are but I liked the clean look. Mostly, I wanted to support the little guy who is making and providing a few small parts for our vans. It’s a pretty cool website with some fun content too.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Didn't know the gas cap can fall apart, but they make the parts to repair it. https://www.syncrotimes.com/shop/syncro-vanagon-replacement-gas-cap-housing
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I just installed the 711 shifter by 025 Motorsports (purchased through T3 technique) and wow! This shifter does exactly what it is advertised to do. The install was very straight forward and didn’t take long (about an hour.) the shifting in my van is amazing. The 711 shifter creates a really tight shift pattern compared to stock and the feel is precise and crisp. It has exceeded my expectations and I would highly recommend it for anyone looking to improve the shifting and feel in their van. I had to make a micro adjustment back at the splined joint of the shift linkage to be able to shift into all gears. I didn’t have to take the top hat spacer out from the transmission. Reverse is easily found. I’m not sure if this step is 100% necessary (I’ve got a question into Christopher at T3 about this subject.) Regardless, the van is a pleasure to drive with the new shifter. Highly recommended.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
I had to make a micro adjustment back at the splined joint of the shift linkage to be able to shift into all gears.

Can you expound on that? Did you rotate the rear section of the linkage slightly? Can you list out how you made the adjustment? Did you take the pin out of the shifter cup to allow that section to rotate? I followed the directions and I could not shift into all the gears so I gave up on the shifter (for now). I really liked the shifter throw and feel and I was pretty mad/disappointed I couldn't use it.

In any case, I'm glad there have been a few other people that also experienced a snag. It's not 100% drop in.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I wish I did this before I removed my stick shifter but maybe someone else can do it for comparisons sake. I wanted to show how tight the shift pattern is with the 711 shifter for anyone who wants an idea how the feel might be, especially if considering buying one. These are outside measurements. The pattern when measure at the center of the stick is considerably less (2” wide x 5” high)

Last edited by Multiman mv on Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:
I had to make a micro adjustment back at the splined joint of the shift linkage to be able to shift into all gears.

Can you expound on that? Did you rotate the rear section of the linkage slightly? Can you list out how you made the adjustment? Did you take the pin out of the shifter cup to allow that section to rotate? I followed the directions and I could not shift into all the gears so I gave up on the shifter (for now). I really liked the shifter throw and feel and I was pretty mad/disappointed I couldn't use it.

In any case, I'm glad there have been a few other people that also experienced a snag. It's not 100% drop in.

Trust me, I know how the spline joint can be a major source of frustration. My linkage was in tune before I installed the 711 shifter. After installing the 711 shifter, I had to rotate the rear half of the linkage (if looking towards the transmission) clockwise so that the lever on the transmission was straight up and down. It’s important to know that the position of the stick shift inside the van was in neutral during this adjustment (make sure your parking brake is on and chock one of the wheels.) when adjusting the spline joint, you want to make sure the lever at the transmission is not leaning out towards the passenger side or in towards the transmission. A nice way to adjust the two halves of the linkage is to clamp a vice grip on the forwarded section and one on the rear section. It just makes rotating a lot easier. When I first installed the 711 shifter, the rear half of my linkage, more specifically the lever near the cup and ball was leaning out towards the passenger side even though the linkage was in tune prior to installing the 711. A simple clockwise rotation of the rear half of linkage a few splines allowed the shifter to achieve all gears. As a side note, in the past, one of the nuts on the baseplate of my original shifter came loose and just that amount of shifting within the elongated holes was enough to throw it out of whack. So Dont get discouraged if when you first install the 711 shifter and you cant get 1st gear or the 1st gear position becomes third gear, you are more than likely closer than you think to achieving all gears. Work from your original witness marks at the spline joint and make small adjustments based on the stick position and the lever position. I bet that your issue has to do with this “pre load” on the shift lever at transmission. Hopefully I’ve described this well enough to understand. I’d be happy to run through the entire process via pm if it will help. You could always restart by positioning the lever at the transmission in neutral, make sure the tab on the passenger side of the shift fork is (I think it’s 23 mm from the reverse lockout rail) on the passenger side of shift box and centered half way front to back and make sure the stick shift is in the neutral position (the 711 will automatically center itself in neutral.) Again, make sure the lever at transmission is straight up and down in both the left to right and front to back axis. The set screws and locking nuts at the base of the 711 help to take any play out of the shifter after you have achieved all gears. Im sure you were close to getting it to work, with a little more effort you will get it tuned correctly. Good luck and I hope you get it working. For me, this is my new, favorite mod.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Well i finally figured out what the rattling sound coming from the rear end was. For the past year whenever i would accelerate and rev the engine around 3000 rpms or just above, i would hear a sound that sounded a little like someone shaking a can of ball bearings. It wasnt that loud and it was barely noticeable. It used to drive me nuts because I couldn’t figure out what it was. My wife could barely hear it but i noticed it. The sound usually presented itself when i was shifting up from one gear to another when the rpms were up over 3000 rpms. I had several theories, one being the alternator. It was definitely something that was belt driven and related to rpms so there weren’t too many choices. Recently i noticed on my scan gauge that my main battery voltage was spiking up over 15 volts. It was mostly in the high 14 volt range but occasionally would spike as high as 16 volts. Not good, so i grounded the van until i could replace the alternator. (With such a mild fall we havent had any road salt here on the island so for now, the van is still on the road.) So I replaced my high output alternator with a new one and the voltage is back to normal and that sound is completely gone. Im actually glad it went out the way it did rather than on a road trip.

Well its been pretty uneventful travel year due to covid and i am really looking forward to some road trips once this covid situation is over. Im sure one could travel safely, especially if visiting wilderness areas but our family has decided its best just to lay low during the pandemic. We feel fortunate to live in an area that has had a relatively low case count.

I hope everyone had a great christmas and wishing everyone a happy holiday season and a healthy new year!

Last edited by Multiman mv on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Well, we made it Cuttyhunk during the “ Covid break” but it’s another hard shutdown. I think we will plan three trips next year to make up.

Can you run the boat down the Sound, Nick?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Yes we have a 24’ Mako center console. It can handle 2 to 4’ seas but I generally use it during calmer seas. Anything over 4’ and it’s unpleasant. Hopefully next summer will resemble something closer to normal. Would love to catch up and have breakfast over at the Fisherman’s club. Havent been there in years. I had some buddies rent it out for a 50th birthday weekend last summer so I know they are up and running. I was surprised they allowed it during covid. It wasn’t open to the public but hopefully they will reopen for Sunday brunches.

Happy holidays

Last edited by Multiman mv on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI builduicj update on the Reply with quote

A quick update on the 025 Motorsports 711 shifter. If you don’t like how your van shifts, throw down the money for this upgrade. It is a completely different shifting experience. It really tightens up the feel and the mechanics of the shifting. My wife used to get annoyed especially shifting into first. A lot of the times the original shifter could be difficult to find first. It wasn’t an issue of tuning, it was a matter of her not using the right pressure in the right direction. I had gotten used to it but she never did and therefore didn’t enjoy driving the van as much. This shifter makes it predictable, effortless and the same every time. You can’t not find gears with the 711. I feel like I’m shifting a Jetta rather than a vanagon. Great engineering on 025’s part and a thank you to Christopher and T3 Technique for making them available.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Still no road salt here on the vineyard so we continue to drive the van. Beautiful sunset tonight over Quitsa pond.

VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Beauty!

But let's get rid of the distracting stuff:

The star of the show with some background dancers. Very Happy
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

VdubVanner wrote:
Beauty!

But let's get rid of the distracting stuff:

The star of the show with some background dancers. Very Happy

Much better! Thanks for the edit! It needed it!

Last edited by Multiman mv on Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Haven't heard from you for a while and am glad to hear you are using Pippen. Keep thinking about breakfast at the FC. I tell people that of all the harbors in New England, Cutty is the most expensive. Sure $20 for a mooring pole, but then you row ashore and the lobster bill for the boat is $185. Then the shellfish boat comes around. "Lets have two dozen of the oysters and another two dozen of the little necks. How many shrimp cocktails, guys? OK Wow, another $185. Then there are the eggs benedict and full breakfast at the FC the next morning for another $185. Love it and can't wait to get back. My favorite harbor on the southern New England shore. Menemsha with little necks ain't so bad either. Sure miss your zone, Nick

Duncan
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Haven't heard from you for a while and am glad to hear you are using Pippen. Keep thinking about breakfast at the FC. I tell people that of all the harbors in New England, Cutty is the most expensive. Sure $20 for a mooring pole, but then you row ashore and the lobster bill for the boat is $185. Then the shellfish boat comes around. "Lets have two dozen of the oysters and another two dozen of the little necks. How many shrimp cocktails, guys? OK Wow, another $185. Then there are the eggs benedict and full breakfast at the FC the next morning for another $185. Love it and can't wait to get back. My favorite harbor on the southern New England shore. Menemsha with little necks ain't so bad either. Sure miss your zone, Nick

Duncan

Yes cuttyhunk is pretty spendy though im kind of used to it because of the high cost of living around here. That shellfish boat is pretty irresistible when it comes around. I was over there this summer, meeting up with my brother and we definitely threw down on some oysters and little necks. Some of the best tasting shellfish in the country come out of these waters. We didn’t step foot on cuttyhunk last trip but I always like to take a walk to the top of the hill. Such an incredible view up there. Cuttyhunk reminds me of the vineyard when i was a kid. People should put it on their travel itinerary if cruising around the southern massachusetts coast by boat.

I hope the van is doing well and i look forward to your next woodworking accent.. be safe and be well!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

The best part of Cuttyhunk is watching the NYC small penis boats pull up and then leave because there is no bar. You can order groceries ahead of time through Cuttyhunk market and keep food costs down, but I always viewed the food bill as the sole expense of a week on the Cape , with no lodging costs, and $100 of towing gas, as a cheap vacation.

What’s a week rental of a nice place in MV? $4000?

Can’t wait for June!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 47 of 50

Jump to: