Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The best part of Cuttyhunk is watching the NYC small penis boats pull up and then leave because there is no bar. You can order groceries ahead of time through Cuttyhunk market and keep food costs down, but I always viewed the food bill as the sole expense of a week on the Cape , with no lodging costs, and $100 of towing gas, as a cheap vacation.

What’s a week rental of a nice place in MV? $4000?

Can’t wait for June!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry i missed this post and havent visited the site for a while. Looks like a great set up. With the recent run of warm weather im really getting pumped up for the summer season. The van is on the road because we have been clear of road salt for several weeks. We had some heavy rains that really washed the roads off recently. The van is running great and looking forward to some road trips and (boat trips.) we are thinking of taking the kids camping for their April vacation. We have really been pretty isolated here on the island for almost a year. We did however just get back from a ski trip out in western mass. We went to Butternut in great Barrington and it was a blast. I would have loved to have taken the van but looking at all the cars plastered with road salt in the mountain parking lot made me appreciate the decision to take the subaru.

As a side note, i stepped up my game on rodent protection this year as i had another friend who had their car totaled recently because of a mouse. This fall, a mouse (or rat) had actually eaten through the wire insulation of the power cord attached to my pro sport battery charger. This was too close for comfort. I have taken a multi pronged approach using lots of peppermint and cinnamon oil, dryer sheets, rodent deterrent pouches and i put a mesh bag of mothballs in the engine bay. i spray the under carriage with “rodent defense” every couple of weeks and i bought two, high frequency sound and light emitting rodent deterrent units, one for the engine bay and one for the cabin. I think the jury is still out as to whether these type of devises are effective but for under $100 i decided to give them a try. So far, so good and no rodent activity except some rat footprints inside the engine bay (prior to starting my rodent program.) I think that was the same rat that ate through the wire insulation and probably the same one i got in my electric rat trap (sorry to anyone who might be offended but at least it was a quick kill.) I have known a few people who have had their vehicles destroyed by rats or mice. Its one of the dangers of taking a vehicle off the road. I think a sitting vehicle is more vulnerable though when my kids were really young and dropping food all over the back seat of the subaru, a mouse had moved in and had built a nest in the storage hatch where the spare tire is kept. My wife freaked out while driving when one of the kids screamed there was a mouse in the back seat. That little guy got pretty bold but his residency inside the subaru didnt last long after that. So, be careful with those rodents out there and take precautions if you havent already.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I had a few encounters with rats years ago in my barn that broke into my Westy. I found that the introduction of a ferocious cat is the most effective rodent deterrent. She brings me gifts about twice a week, and I love her for it.

I hate rats.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Mice and mothballs--A funny story. When I first got ÆTHEREUS
I was worried about mice and the sails. I spread them out on the lawn and sprinkled two boxes of mothballs and d-Con liberally all over them. Then carefully folded to make sure the moth balls and pellets were distributed throughout all the folds. In the bag and hanging from the rafters by the bag cord. The next spring I took them down and put the sails on the tracks and hoisted them. There was a rain of much smaller moth balls and d-Con pellets on the deck. AND a huge amount of sunflower seeds--we feed the birds--acorns and other mouse food stores. So much for moth balls keeping the mice away. Luckily, however, no holes. Every year after that the sail bags went into mouse proof plastic tubs with tight fitting tops.

Duncan
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Getting ready for a small road trip to Vermont and then back to the cape for school vacation. I figure before the trip, the shift linkage was in need of a little cleaning and lubrication. I cleaned out the shift box of grease and dirt and a little re-lube. The purple power worked great for cutting the white lithium grease in the shift box (im pretty sure that purple power is just a purple version of simple green but maybe its just because they smell similar.) I ended up using the grease that goWesty supplies with there shift linkage upgrade kit for lubricating the shift rod bushings and lubing the tabs and lockout rails. The van shifts really well now. Definitely a nice improvement. The shifting has been great since installing the 711 shifter but was in need of a little lube after sitting most of the winter and driving down dusty dirt roads recently.

Here’s a little tip for mounting the shift box back on to the underside of the van. Start with the two hard to reach nuts located up above the coolant pipes. Stack two nuts in your socket mounted on a flexible extension. Much easier to get these ones started this way.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I just finished finally installing a Big Shot shifter I bought a year ago from Van Cafe.
My shifter box was covered with 30 yrs. of hardened grease and I just decided to just clean the areas where the linkage moves.
I figured leaving all the grease there is the best rust proofing I could do! 😁

Funny thing is all your tips I did from past experiences.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Great thoughts. I assume mine is OG, so after I button up some holes in the outside of my car/bus/van, I'll do a thorough cleaning and lubing as well.

Although it doesn't matter any more, I hate it when the photos wind up being a small box with a question mark. so to correct the record:
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
I just finished finally installing a Big Shot shifter I bought a year ago from Van Cafe.
My shifter box was covered with 30 yrs. of hardened grease and I just decided to just clean the areas where the linkage moves.

Yah grease is a good thing though mine was mixed with a lot of dirt road dust.

I should have mentioned my tips are usually geared to people like myself who arent the most mechanically inclined or who havent worked their way around a vanagon too many times before. I figure expert mechanics can disregard them or laugh and say, been there done that.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

I should have mentioned my tips are usually geared to people like myself who arent the most mechanically inclined or who havent worked their way around a vanagon too many times before. I figure expert mechanics can disregard them or laugh and say, been there done that.

Nah, not going to laugh at good suggestions and there are plenty of folks on here who make look like an amateur.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

Nah, not going to laugh at good suggestions.

My last post probably came out wrong but you know what i was trying to say! I was trying to make a dig at my own abilities or lack there of and to say that some of my tips land in the land of obvious.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:

My last post probably came out wrong but you know what i was trying to say! I was trying to make a dig at my own abilities or lack there of and to say that some of my tips land in the land of obvious.

It just went right over my head! Wink
It's good to show "working tips" becsuse there is always someone who will benefit by them.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Photo still didn't come up. ???????
Not that it matters, but:

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Photo still didn't come up. ???????
Not that it matters, but:

I cant see the photo! Hope you are well Duncan.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

A great trip to Dorset Vt and back down to New Seabury with the family. Stayed in a beautiful house (no camping this trip) that my sister and her family rented. Kind of glad we didnt camp as it snowed 2” the first night! It was 65 degrees the day before. Crazy New England weather. The van started to experience some stiff shifting and I knew immediately what i was dealing with. The cup and ball joint at the shift lever was badly damaged and the boot was torn. I had a spare one in my parts box (that i almost didnt throw into the van before we left.) So glad i did because by halfway through the trip, it took considerable effort to shif and seemed to get worse by the minute. With a bit of fiddling, the van is shifting like a dream again and our drive back to the cape was very uneventful.

A little trick for getting the rubber boot onto the shift lever is to flip the boot up and inside out before you mount the bracket onto the splined post on the trans and just flip it down.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Enjoy yourselves on the beautiful Cape and if we don’t meet up, see you in 2022. My life took a twist and we are splitting time between Suffolk and Albany, I’ll have to rethink how to make it to Cuttyhunk

Block izsland to the Vineyard might be a bit too big water for my little water ballasted 26
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Enjoy yourselves on the beautiful Cape and if we don’t meet up, see you in 2022. My life took a twist and we are splitting time between Suffolk and Albany, I’ll have to rethink how to make it to Cuttyhunk

Block izsland to the Vineyard might be a bit too big water for my little water ballasted 26

Well if you ever find yourself on the vineyard via eurovan, drop a line. Good luck with the changes and hope you have a great van season!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Congratulations on making an off island adventure. Lived in North Bennington for a while and loved the Dorset area. That was back in the Cretaceous era and since then the place has been gussied up with a throughway replacing route 7 and Manchester no longer just a normal town. But the mountains haven't changed and driving up Mount Equinox could be a good test for Mt Washington later in Pippen's career.

Nick, you never cease to amaze me. I remember your first post when you admitted you didn't know where the battery was. Now you carry obscure spare parts and teach us tricks to make repairs easier.

And finally I think I have solved the blue box/question mark issue--not as impressive as what you do, but any computer solution is a triumph for me.

Glad to hear she is back on the road. Have some wonderful adventures this summer

Duncan
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Y’all Ketched yourself some fine boat, there, Duncan.

I’ve got a Ericsson 32 on Ontario, a big boat I can’t name in San Diego because the proletariat will burn me if the rebel, and the infamous mac26 for the Cape.

The Mac sails like a scow, but it has the largest happy memory factor by far..seven high school girls on Cuttyhunk for a week.

The others just help me avoid taxes.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Too kind Duncan. Thank you. My realm of vanagon knowledge is extremely limited but with the cost of a mechanic on Martha’s Vineyard I vowed to learn enough to get me out of the occasional jam and to save a bit of money. I almost never pass up an “I’m stranded” thread and like to learn about the common failure points on our beloved vans. That cup and ball joint seems to be a common cause of stiff shifting and knew I needed one in my kit.

That’s a beautiful looking boat you have there. Recently I hired a guy who worked for Gannon and benjamin (our island wooden boat builders) and he has a 60’ wooden schooner. We talk boats a lot and I’m trying to learn a more about them. He has been a great hire. He is a highly skilled Carpenter and has taught me a bunch. I must admit the sailing life does sound like a great one. My brother actually just sold his house a couple years ago and bought himself a tartan 37 (I’m pretty sure that’s the size) and lives on it full time. It’s such a great lifestyle. Right now he is in Charleston where he spent most of the winter. He’ll bring the boat up to vineyard in early June. I hope to someday make the trip with him.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Finally got around to replacing the worn out, rear shift rod bushing. While I had the rear shift linkage off of the van I took the opportunity to switch out the old cupped shift lever. I cut an old washer headed lag screw that was just slightly less in diameter than the roll pin that needed to come out. The washer head is nice because it allows you to push straight when using the vise technique. All in all it went well, didn’t take very long and the van shifts very smoothly now.

Lag screw cut to 1 1/2 for pushing out the roll pin

New bushing and dust bellows

snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

@DuncanS

Can't see the photo that keeps disappearing, obviously, but from your comments it sounds like ÆTHEREUS is a boat. Photos with no vanagon content are removed from theSamba photo repository. If you want it to stay it has to be hosted elsewhere.

RonC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 50

Jump to: