Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Afm 79bug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

Not knowing anything about fuel injection bugs ,i thought all afm were the same ,that being said my 79 is a California bug, now are the afm different in Ca than the other states ? It has a 0280 200 006 the one i bought used (come to find out )its actually out of van 75to79 van 0280 200 012 can any one shed some wisdom upon me . Thanks in advance.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

Is the electrical plug the same ( does it plug in )
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
Is the electrical plug the same ( does it plug in )
its the same it plugs injust fine,only difference is the numbers
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

I think it should work
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

Does it work or not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Does it work or not?
hey Randy ,ihave nit been able to get it started yet , do you think it should work or should i just get the right numbered one
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

If it were me, I would try to find the correct one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

Rebuilt my AFM recently and did lots of research, I would agree if it plugs in your good to go. You have 6 pins, 2 are for fuel pump and the other 4 are air temp sensor and basic throttle position via how much the flap opens which is determined by throttle opening from accelerator pedal. The only difference might be air fuel ratio but not for certain, it would be nice to dial it in with air fuel ratio meter stuck in exhaust pipe. They are adjustable but some discourage this if your not sure how or why this is done.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

What is the reason for changing out the AFM?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

Off topic shitposting:

I think it's almost cute how many blame AFM's for problems, just because it's the component that fewest people understand. If the base line measurements of the AFM check out according to the AFC Handbook, look elsewhere for your problems.

Robbie

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...Manual.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
it's frozen. Aluminum oxide (rust)inside.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Off topic shitposting:

I think it's almost cute how many blame AFM's for problems, just because it's the component that fewest people understand. If the base line measurements of the AFM check out according to the AFC Handbook, look elsewhere for your problems.

Robbie

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...Manual.pdf
thank you ,i dont blame the amf ,my only concern was ,will the unit i got would work with mine.
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
How much for frozen rusted one?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

That is a good reason to replace. I just asked because 9 out of ten times the AFM is good and there is a loose ground else where.

On the Samba there is an ad (Ad number 0280200006) for one rebuilt;

"Rebuilt Air Flow Meter for Beetle 0280200006   Price: $245 exchange
Rebuilt air flow meter for fuel injected Beetle, years 1975-1979. Part number 0280200006 or 043906301. One year warranty. Limited supply. May require your core for the rebuild. Price $245 exchange. Core charge is an additional $125 if your core is not rebuildable.

Price increase effective 8/29/16. "

Link is;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1558771

Never bought one off of this vendor, but easy enough to get. I have a rebuilder near me that I have used through the years. Been awhile since I looked them up.

Good luck, hope that helps and in the end fixes your problems!
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

Thanks guys fir the replies,i really apreciate it ,i wonder if the old guts from mine can be changed over to the other one ?
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

sawed off wrote:
68IHscout wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
How much for frozen rusted one?
ill hold on to it for now but when im ready ill let you know.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

Update ,i got a used one (numbers match now)that checks out per bentley testing with o meter ,i havent got a chance to install it yet ,i compared the two .
That is when i noticed the idle screw missing from the one i had installed , that is probably another reason the car wont start .
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

Air bleed on AFM has some control over fuel mixture thru entire range, Idle speed on throttle body. The two screws kinda work together. Once you get idle speed where you want it you can adjust idle mixture on AFM. they work together.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

sawed off wrote:
Air bleed on AFM has some control over fuel mixture thru entire range, Idle speed on throttle body. The two screws kinda work together. Once you get idle speed where you want it you can adjust idle mixture on AFM. they work together.
thank you ,i have not been able to start it yet ,trouble shooting one tep at a time
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Afm 79bug Reply with quote

I normally have that CO adjustment screw in the middle of its range so you have some adjustment to go with it.

I trust you have been over here?

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7761
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: