Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaggymart22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

So I just bought a sand rail yesterday and have been trying to look up stuff for the engine that it has in it among other things. First thing I need help with is identifying what the engine actually is so I can find the necessary parts, then I'll move onto making it into the sand rail I want it to be. I was told it was a 1972-1973 super beetle 1800cc engine. From researching using what I believe to be the engine code "AW012345"(yes it seems odd to me that that is the code but I attached a photo of said code I found on the engine), I believe it's actually a 1973-1974 type 2 1800cc(1.8L) engine. It needs an alternator, alternator bracket, and the electric choke wired in. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I really am having no luck finding anything and really have no clue what I'm doing as I'm just starting in this amazing hobby. I have also attached a couple photos of the sand rail I bought. Thanks for reading and any help at all.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

Looks like a type 4 motor. Missing some stuff, like cooling tins and shroud. Might want to get that.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

AW is a Type 2 (Bus), but that has pancake all over it...so it's questionable what it actually may be, it may have been a Type 2 case put in a Type 3 (Fastback/Squareback) or Type 4 VW (Squareback 411/Variant), in which the engines were below a cover so the cooling tin was designed to fit.

Type 1 and 2 engines were upright with a fan shroud.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php

Definitely get some engine tin to direct the air flow, if it's been run a lot it may have a lot of hotspots on the cylinders and pistons.

The carb looks like a Weber progressive, which would run really weird on the intake manifold.
Interesting header/muffler system with the heater fins...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

Your engine appears to have no cooling tin. wow! You still have the cooling fan but it is pretty useless without the housing around it to direct airflow.

Running an air cooled engine without cooling tin is similar to running a water cooled engine without a radiator. Some guys get away with it on applications where the engine is out front in the air, but I wouldn't expect that engine to last long on the back of a rail.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Shaggymart22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies, I do have the fan shroud that came with it, it was just off when I got it. It hasn't been run much at all, it was an older gentleman that owned it and he took it out sparingly. Is the fan shroud what you mean by cooling tin?
What do you mean by it has pancake all over it? Is there any other way to tell what kind of motor it is? The exhaust comes out from the bottom(my buddy has one that comes out from the side) I plan to change the exhaust to go up into one and then out instead of the way it is now.
Any help in determining the type and year of the engine, in finding parts and any info or suggestions anybody may have, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm going on a trip over the 4th of July to go riding and would like it to be ready by then.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

Description from Aircooled.nets page.

Sizes 36HP, 40 HP, 1300cc, 1500cc (single port), 1600cc (single port), 1500cc (dual port), 1600cc (dual port)
1500cc and 1600cc Type 1 engines switched to dual port intakes in 1971

Type 2 “Upright” Engine:

Early Type 2s were fitted with Type 1 engines. The engines were essentially interchangeable, but since the Transporter was a heavier vehicle which needed more power to move, they typically had a larger sized engine in any given model year.
68-71 Type 2 engines were still a Type 1 engine, but now were modified by drilling the crankcase for mounting to a cross member
Late Type 2s were fitted with Type 4 Flat engines (see below)

Type 3 “Pancake” Engine: 1600cc

Basically a Type 1 engine again, but with different cooling system, clutch and exhaust.
Starting in 1971, dual intake ports were introduced on the cylinder heads, which had all had single intake ports up to that point.

Type 4 “Flat” or “Suitcase” Engine: 1700cc, 1800cc, 2000cc

The Type 4 is called a “flat” engine, because the cooling fan is fitted directly to the end of crankshaft. The Type 4 made use of a new more durable all aluminium crankcase.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

I would compleatly pull that motor apart and look it over really closely, particularly the top end. T4 with no cooling to the heads will cook the exhaust ports to a crisp. Look closely in the exhaust ports, they may have cracks in them. Good motors T4, but even the best engines won't last without a coolin system.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Shaggymart22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

I understand the differences in the engines now, however I still don't know which one I have. I was told it is an 1800cc engine, so I'm to believe it is a type 4? It does have dual intake ports, and as I said the exhaust comes out from the bottom if that helps anybody help me?
I will look at the exhaust ports when I finally get an alternator and the electric choke wired in. I have many plans and improvements I want to do so I appreciate the tips and advice. However, first I need to figure out what engine I have so I can go about starting this project.
And what all will I need in terms of cooling system? I'm under the impression that they're air cooled so all I need is the fan shroud and the cooling tin?
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

I already told you it's a type 4.
Shaggymart22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

Yes and then others have told me it's a combination of a couple motor types. So I'm hoping somebody can tell me definitively what it is. And also where I can find parts to buy for it, preferably online. I appreciate the feedback, I'm hoping it's simply a type 4, what evidence do you have that makes you think that's what it is? As I said im a new comer to this hobby and as much as I need help I'd also like to learn as I get said help.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

Shaggymart22 wrote:
Yes and then others have told me it's a combination of a couple motor types. So I'm hoping somebody can tell me definitively what it is. And also where I can find parts to buy for it, preferably online. I appreciate the feedback, I'm hoping it's simply a type 4, what evidence do you have that makes you think that's what it is? As I said im a new comer to this hobby and as much as I need help I'd also like to learn as I get said help.

Most Motors by now are a combination of miss-matched parts! Only way to know for sure is to rip into it and document all the parts. Or fix what you know is wrong, and run it till it dies and then build the motor you want.

Unless you are one lucky guy to get a sequential serial number I would bet it is a replacement case and some one thought it would be funny to stamp it 012345. Especially since you can see some old file marks and none of the VW logo stampings.

But like stated before the major parts seam to be type 4. I believe the type 4 heads were the only ones that exited the bottom. From what I have learned in the last year it is most important to know the type of motor, but unless you have the original build sheet never assume you got what you were sold. Unless you are trying to buy parts from Napa, Autozone, ORileys, or Advance Auto you will never need to know the vehecle the motor came out of...just Type 1 or Type 4. Individual Type 1, 2, 930, etc. come more into play with the trans and IRS axles/CV joints, Stub axles and drive hubs. But that is based of the drive flanges, stub axles, and transmission Number. Yeap, you got a whole other can of worms there!

Last edited by Fenix on Mon May 22, 2017 12:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
Shaggymart22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

So could it be a late type 2 because of the AW in the code,(which were fitted with type 4 engines)?
Shaggymart22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

Fenix wrote:
Shaggymart22 wrote:

Most Motors by now are a combination of miss-matched parts! Only way to know for sure is to rip into it and document all the parts. Or fix what you know is wrong, and run it till it dies and then build the motor you want.

Unless you are one lucky guy to get a sequential serial number I would bet it is a replacement case and some one thought it would be funny to stamp it 012345. Especially since you can see some old file marks and none of the VW logo stampings.

But like stated before the major parts seam to be type 4. I believe the type 4 heads were the only ones that exited the bottom. From what I have learned in the last year it is most important to know the type of motor, but unless you have the original build sheet never assume you got what you were sold. Unless you are trying to buy parts from Napa, Autozone, ORileys, or Advance Auto you will never need to know the vehecle the motor came out of...just Type 1 or Type 4. Individual Type 1, 2, 930, etc. come more into play with the trans and IRS axles/CV joints, Stub axles and drive hubs. But that is based of the drive flanges, stub axles, and transmission Number. Yeap, you got a whole other can of worms there!

Thank you so much! That's what I was hoping to find out. I figured only a few of the engines had the exhaust exit out the bottom. So for exhaust I should look for type 4 exhaust parts. That helps a ton!
Now I just need to know what to look for to find the alternator and bracket. I don't believe it's the style that is like a stand. But again I'm still learning.lol
As for the choke that shouldn't matter so much on type of engine but more on type of carburetor correct?
I also want to get the fan shroud and cooling tin so help there would be appreciated. After that stuff it will be onto accessories!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

When you pull the top end of the motor down, measure the cylinders and see what pistons you have. 93mm with deep dishes pistons is original to the aw T4 engine for a bus. They may have been replaced with the 412/914 shallow dishes pistons, which is better...bus pistons sucked. Miserable compression for an engine that really likes compression. The original 411/412/914 pistons are where it is at.

If the heads are not too cooked, you may have a good core if I fact they are 1800 heads. You can spot 1800 heads a mile away by the peanut shaped combustion chamber. They had 41/34 I/e valves. The ports are good too. They appear to be the same design as the 914 2.0 ports. The 1800 heads flow just as well as the 914 2.0 up until the valves approach maximum lift, and even then it isn't far behind. The 1800 heads are MUCH more durable than the 914 2.0 heads...I haven't seen one of those without cracks around the spark plug or in the exhaust ports. Stock 1800 heads are good for 150+hp if the rest of the engine isnbuilt, so loads of room to expand if you ever wanted to in the future. Do look closely at the valve seats though. 1700 and 1800 valve seats are pretty good at staying put, but with no cooling system, they may have loosened up and moved around. Heat kills. One thing you should do is dump the factory exhaust valves and replace them with stainless cables. SI Valves is a good brand. Valve glides goes without saying. You can get new intakes or regrind the originals if in good shape, but you will have to measure.

Shaggymart22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

It seems to be an engine out of a 1974 vw bus. 1.8l type 4 engine. So now I'm looking for places to order parts if anybody knows of any.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

As others have said, assume nothing. The aw just tells you where it came from, not what it is. It has had 40 years for someone to get their noses in there and change stuff around on you. You won't know anything for sure until you strip it down.

European Motorworks for cam/lifters machine and head work, or any well stocked air cooled vw place like aircooled.net for miscalanious bits and pieces like pistons/cylinders, etc. cooling system bits will have to be sourced second hand in classifieds unless you do an upright conversion like a dtm or Porsche fan...but that's $$. It will be tight, but the stock cooling might fit your ride.

Start by pulling the heads, pistons, and cylinders to see what you got first before you even thing about ordering parts.

YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

Yes the choke is dependent on the carburetor. Can you post a close up pic of the carb? It looks like a Weber progressive off of a Ford Pinto, but only from the shape, it would be a poor choice with the four tube manifold, but I can't clearly see it to be positive.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shaggymart22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow. I'm also trying to decide whether or not it's worth just going with a 4 barrel carb with the adapter plate.
Also do any of you have problems with the front wheels coming off the ground or have a hard time steering when driving? If so any tips on to counter this? And I'm also wondering how they do going through water(like 2 feet deep max), and going up fairly steep hills?
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

If those Sandblaster Jr's front tires are not to dry rotted some body might give you real money for them.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Shaggymart22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Bought Sand Rail, Need HELP!! Reply with quote

They don't have any dry rot from what ive seen. I have certaibly thought about selling them. Why are they so valuable btw? Guy i bought it from told me the same thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: