Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need help with some split tail lights.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: I need help with some split tail lights. Reply with quote

I purchased these lights for my December '49. I'm building my car to be a driver, so I'm not really concerned with correctness. The seller stated that the parts are original. However, I am not familiar with them and was hoping to get some guidance as to what these parts are or aren't.

Both lenses appear to be the same and have a Hassia logo with the number K1533. The housings have different stampings. The left side is stamped L443.001.2 with a VW and Hella logo on the bottom part and an ink stamp of K0815 on the inside surface. The right side housing has RT1???? with an SB logo stamped on the bottom. The lens retaining rings are also differently shaped.

The brackets appear to be for the same side, but I don't know which side. If someone can help me with that it would be great! Both are stamped with the number 111 945 162 along with a VW and SB logo.

The seals do not have any numbers that I can see.

If anyone can tell me a little more about these parts I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with some split tail lights. Reply with quote

111 945 161 - Left side

111 945 162 - Right side

The 1 at the end of the part number means left side.
The 2 at the end of the part number means right side.

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with some split tail lights. Reply with quote

The Hella and SB or SHO as some call them were different suppliers to VW. I had a split with a mismatched pair of housings and they are definitely shaped differently. I noticed it but you might not. The bulb holders will work fine with either version of the housing.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: I need help with some split tail lights. Reply with quote

If you are building it as a 'driver' then you may want to consider fitting double filament bulb holders & bulbs (Stop Light & Tail Light). Maybe Sam in Spain can supply the brackets / bulb holders for these bulbs. http://www.repuestossam.com/en/beetle/split/s033.html

I've fitted these to my '46 with LED Stop & tail bulbs for safety on the highway.

Rod

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with some split tail lights. Reply with quote

Since you don't care about originality, you won't care that those running lights and bulb holders are for a 50 or later split.

You'll definitely need to change the bulb holders and wiring to turn running lights into brake lights, and still use the stock brake light.

I'd like to see more of your 49. I have an October 1949 split.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: I need help with some split tail lights. Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:
If you are building it as a 'driver' then you may want to consider fitting double filament bulb holders & bulbs (Stop Light & Tail Light). Maybe Sam in Spain can supply the brackets / bulb holders for these bulbs. http://www.repuestossam.com/en/beetle/split/s033.html

I've fitted these to my '46 with LED Stop & tail bulbs for safety on the highway.

Rod

I also bought these from sam and have to fit them during the next weeks - am I right to say, a hole need to be drilled for getting the wires through it and also they need to be bend in the lower area where the lower screw of the housing will attach? I just ask becuase I have no original one to compare...
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: I need help with some split tail lights. Reply with quote

The ones that I purchased from Sam were the early pattern for my '46 and did not need any modification to fit rear wings (fenders) with the dent for the light bracket. i.e. this type http://www.repuestossam.com/en/beetle/split/s037.html You will notice that he also supplies these to fit a normal wing.

I can't say if the later versions like yours will need any modification as I have never used them.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with some split tail lights. Reply with quote

At least you have original split taillights... no reproduction taillights that were made six months ago.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: