Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 panel - a long story short ish
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

So. The guy who built the beam had bought the plates from another guy, not realising he got two different sets. So the one I got was actually built for slamming - notching the frame and heightening the tubs. Not my plan. He went on to build a new one, but like previously, weeks turned to months. When I finally got it two weeks back I had to move all the parts, springs etc, from the first one he did over to the second one. It was a couple of nights work, but finally the new one bolted is on.

Then I got the spindles off the original one a refreshed them before installing last night. Also started mounting the CSP brake kit.

Really looking forward to get it on the road now. There's a big meet this weekend that I would like to go to. We'll see.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by metz on Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Getting closer. Brakes, shocks and steering mounted on both sides. Waiting for lug nuts to get it back on its wheels. I have ordered spacers and longer studs too. Will see if there’s time before the weekend. Need to solve the rear too, where the wheels don’t fit the drums without modification.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Five long nights and it's finally down on its feet.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Spot the mistake 😜
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

metz wrote:
Spot the mistake 😜

Do you mean the loose bolt?

That van is looking amazing, as if it was off the showroom floor and not 50 years old. Bravo! Applause

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
metz wrote:
Spot the mistake 😜

Do you mean the loose bolt?

That van is looking amazing, as if it was off the showroom floor and not 50 years old. Bravo! Applause

That was intentional for adjusting once it hit the ground. The right caliper on the left side however ☺️ Noticed only when failing to bleed the brakes, thought the problem was the master cylinder, but luckily it was only a noob mistake.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Made it to SCC. Stoke is high!
Still lots to do, like lowering the rear and space out the front a bit, but chuffed to be driving it again.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

On the way back home today. All smiles.

Dammit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Looks amazing, the want is strong in me.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Such a great Bus! I've really enjoyed reading about the resto, and am really digging the recent altitude adjustment Cool

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Cheers guys!

Been taking a break from the garage to do some work in my apartment, but finally got around to lower the rear. Already got adjustable spring plates, so started with painting them black.

And it's down.

Then got a nice ride around town today.

Next up is swapping to longer wheel studs in the front so I can mount the spacers.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

The bus passed its MOT last night. Just a few hours before the snow started falling and two days before the deadline.

It didn't pass the first time because it was too low/stiff. I knew the 4 inch narrowed beam would make for a stiff ride, but it felt like it didn't use any travel at all. I was told to raise it a couple of inches and I would be OK. Too bad the adjusters were already at max, so we had to grind the slots a bit longer and detach the shocks to heighten it. But it didn't help much. Then we tried putting on the stock shocks, and although being the same length as the Bilstein ones, the difference was huge. Finally the springs also started doing work and the ride was massively improved. I've no idea why the Bilstein shocks are way too stiff and pretty much useless. They were bought from T2 Detectives and marketed for lowered Bays.

Anyway, with the front in order the bus flew through the MOT and also got all its wheels adjusted. Now the winter can come and I can start working on the bus for next season. Really glad I got in some rides this fall. It's a blast to drive it again.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Winter is arriving and haven't been able to work much on the bus lately, but luckily buying parts isn't very time consuming.

The fresh air vents was MIA during the years, and being unsuccessful finding replacements second hand, I turned to VW Heritage to get some cheap replicas. Or that's what I thought. I didn't really check when I ordered them, so it was a pleasant surprise opening the package finding VAG parts. I guess they remained unchanged throughout the years. Feels good installing original new original parts.

Now that the bus is working - although a thousand small jobs here and there remaining - I've been planning to build a new engine with the guidance of Anders. The plan is to keep it old school. 1776 and around 100hp should be great for my use. So I've started collecting the first parts: Berg 42 DCNF. Really looking forward to getting started on this.

And one more from the garage.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

The new 1776 project is rolling. Most parts are now ordered. Roughly the build will be something like this:
- 90.5mm x 69-74mm Hypereutectic Machine-In Piston & Cylinder Set, AA Brand
- Panchito 044™ (40 x 35.5) 90.5/92 Bore
- Rebuilt OEM Connecting Rods, 13/15/1600cc Type 1 Based Engines, Race
- Web Cam Type 1 Camshaft, Grind 118, 1.1 or 1.25 Rockers Prepped
- Gene Berg DNCF 42
- Ron Lummus Racing Black Magic Clutch Disc
- KENNEDY 200MM CLUTCH PLATE STAGE-I

Picked up the block from Anders, and after an hour or two of elbow grease and pressure washing, it looks good.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Nice! I'm in the same spot as you! Been ordering some engine parts for something with a little more power as well.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
Nice! I'm in the same spot as you! Been ordering some engine parts for something with a little more power as well.

Cool! I'm really enjoying your thread. More power should be fun.

Heads were shipped today and sent the block for line boring last week.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Trying to get some time in the garage to get at least some of the thousand things done before the season is here. First couple of visits ended up in organizing, just getting some tools on the wall and moving stuff away that I don't need. Much better.

(Porsche still not mine)

Yesterday it was finally time to space out the front wheels. I had a go last week, but broke the umbraco bit when trying to remove the (too short) wheel studs. So returning with a couple of 14mm nuts I was ready to get the job done. The CSP brake kit used 12mm inner and 14mm outer studs. Since the wheels came with long 12mm studs and nuts, I will just use those. Also borrowed this fancy tool which didn't fit the 14mm, but came in handy mounting the 12mm.

20mm spacers. I've got 25 too, but will try these first. I know it seems stupid to space out a narrowed beam, but I ordered the beam when I intended to use wider wheels. To use those wheels I would have to narrow the rear, which I don't have any near future plans to do - so for now this will be the setup.

I think it looks much better. Might lower it some more, but will wait until I get some rides in.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Got some jailbars from VWHeritage the other day - the quality wasn't exactly great, but good enough. I've tons of more important things to fix, but nice to do the things that shows too. So installed them last night.

Feels weird drilling in the bus after spending so many years removing them, but I think it turned out pretty good. Also got clips for the rear badge, so installed that too. My badge only has two pins left, but it feels pretty secure.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Here's a sketch of the decals. I've been playing with a lot of variations for a long time without landing on anything, but now I'm starting to settle on this style. Never mind the wheels, I'm keeping the slot mags.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Picked up the block and crankshaft last night and had a look at the other parts that have arrived. Next up is cleaning and getting stuff balanced. Still waiting for the last package, but it should arrive in time for when everything else is ready. Very excited for this!

Was also in the garage last week, but since the weather was nice and roads dry, Jonas with the 911 and I took the cars out for a little spin - and didn't get much else done. Great feeling to start it up and go without any problems.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: