Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 panel - a long story short ish
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Since the annual SCC meet is only two weeks away, activity in the garage has dramatically increased. I've spent the last two evenings working on the front doors (things always take triple the amount of time you imagined, right?).

I previously made some shims for the drivers door because it was sagging a bit. I got those installed and you now no longer have to lift the door to get it properly shut. Then I started tackling the rubber seals. I don't know if the problem is the seals or the doors/body, but it's been way too tight on the front resulting in doors that are difficult to close and bounce out when you open them. So trimming, testing, trimming testing etc, before gluing them back on and setting them in with silicone. Not perfect, but feels much better.

Finally the door cards. I've had them since I got the seat covers, but never got around to install them. When I was about to post pictures I realized I might not have shown how it looks from the inside - probably because it's been looking crap. Did manage to find an old photo, though, so this is what I've been driving around with.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To this! (please excuse the poor phone/garage pictures):

Radio delete, glove box cover and inner door handles are new.

Also touched up with some paint around the horn button, and doing something fun with the button itself. Next up is kick panels and rear view mirror, then the cab will be done for now.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

A couple of more evenings in the cave and I got the mats under the seats installed - another shitty, time consuming job, but now it's done.

Installed seatbelts from VW Heritage, and they were disappointing. Installation was simple enough, but they look way too modern and are way to tight to be comfortable.

So installing the new shifter from Vintage Speed was more entertaining. I haven't driven with it yet, but it feels much better than the original. Don't have to lean forward so much to find 1st and 3rd, and the reverse function is nice too. Looking forward to have a go with it.

Branded the horn button, so now I just gotta sort the kick panels and rear view mirror and the cab is good to go.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

I'm getting sleepy already!

Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning build mate!

I really like the interiour in the back. Did you mock that up on card board first or did you get proper measurements from somewhere?
I badly need to redo my sides and floor so would love to know how you did that

Also interested in knowing how you like the shifter. VS says 35% reduced travel.
Do you notice a lot of improvement, has changing gears gotten a lot quicker?
Can't afford a new engine so stuck with the 47 horses in my '68 panel and am hoping to loose less speed in the mountains when shifting gears.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Cheers man.

Yes, I did indeed make cardboard templates first. I think relying on other peoples measurements would be a risky route, and there are some oddities with the shapes. It's a tedious task making those boards and it kind of sucks that the height is 128cm, so you can't use the width of a plywood board that has the most bendable direction. Anywho, they are in, I just need to make them pretty.

Chugging away I made the boards for rear cushions and the tailgate. Now everything is ready for delivering to the upholsterer tomorrow, then it's xmas time on Thursday, just in time for the SCC meet.

Here I'm putting some lacquer on the tailgate board. It looks gloss because it was just put on, but it's a matte floor board lacquer that gives a nice and pretty tough finish. This is what I intend to use on the walls unless I change my mind after the other colors are installed.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

This morning I drove to an upholsterer in a nearby town and we chatted for half an hour on how to make the cushions.

Six hours later I got this photo. Stoked! Will pick them up on Wednesday.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Wrapping up bits and pieces, and lowered the front a couple of notches. Now I can’t decide wether to follow up at the rear or come a notch back up the front. Had a nice little test-drive with a mate. Tomorrow I’m picking up the cushions from the upholsterer – can’t wait!

Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Stance is perfect. Leave it like that. And if in doubt mount slightly meatier tyres to the rear Smile

Edit: doublechecked, a tad lower in the rear would be fine Wink

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Wish I could fit more rubber at the back, but I got the Vredestein Sprint Classic at 185/70-15, which gives me about 10mm of clearance. I might be able to squeeze in 195, but the Sprint Classic doesn't come in that size. I have my temporary 195/65 at the front (I know..), so I'm planning to get two new tires - either have the same rund baut or try to find something bigger at the back.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Tying everything up nicely. Good luck with the show, you'll have a hell of a time.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Final night in the garage before the meet is done and dusted. Got through most of what I wanted to get finished, so the bed is installed, walls got three coats of lacquer, kick panels painted black and installed, touched up with some black color on rear drums and painted the torsion bar covers black too, plus plus.

Next update will be from fresh air. Until then..

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Have a blast man Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Had a good time at SCC, but rain from morning to bedtime on Saturday put a tiny damper on it. It didn't hurt to have a dry bus to jump into instead of crawling into a wet tent, so very happy about getting that done. Didn't take that many photos, but here's a few.

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Damn that cab looks clean. Awesome pictures man

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Been a while. Haven't used the bus much since the meet, but went on a nice cruise with two of the other guys I share the garage with a couple of weeks back.

Last night Anders and I went to get working on the engine again. We assembled the Webers and fitted some temp parts to get it ready, and in the AM it was time to fire it up.

Exciting for sure!

Link

Everything went smooth, so I'm a happy camper.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

One of my favorite busses I’ve seen.
Looks like some good power is going to be scooting that thing around. Mind you’ll probably have to remove the carbs and linkage to get the motor in.
I had to pull my Weber 40’s and linkage to get the thing installed in my 68. I also had to cut out the original oil air filter box stand, which to guys use to larger motors are familiar with, I didn’t know I had to modify that to make things work.

What kits are you using on the front cab doors and seats?

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Cheers man.

Yes, I was thinking they might had to come off to get it in. Noticed the air filter stand thing in your thread a while back, so will need to address that too.

Door cards and front seat covers are from TMI.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Pulled the exhaust and distributor from the bus and installed it on the new engine along with new J-tubes. Carbs needs adjusting, but other than that this looks and sounds pretty good!

Link

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

thats one very nice panel van, has some really nice, subtle touches to it.

Well done on the build Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Cheers man, appreciate it.

Here's another shot from a couple of weeks back. That was probably the last trip of the year, unless I can squeeze the new engine in before the winter sets in.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: