Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 panel - a long story short ish
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Did not pass the DMV inspection. They will not allow it being dropped with the beam only and wants me to use drop spindles. That would be easy enough if I had a late bay setup, but the offering for early drop spindles is extremely limited. I've only found one product that I would trust, which is the Frenchslammer one: https://www.vintageautohaus.com/pieces-volkswagen/...wagen.html

Problem is that they are out of stock and he is not currently making more. If anyone know of a pair that is available – please let me know!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

metz wrote:
Did not pass the DMV inspection. They will not allow it being dropped with the beam only and wants me to use drop spindles. That would be easy enough if I had a late bay setup, but the offering for early drop spindles is extremely limited. I've only found one product that I would trust, which is the Frenchslammer one: https://www.vintageautohaus.com/pieces-volkswagen/...wagen.html

Problem is that they are out of stock and he is not currently making more. If anyone know of a pair that is available – please let me know!

Metz,

Being a 68/69 owner, I purchased (made a deposit) on Nate’s drop spindles for 2.5” drop with WagenWest. My opinion he IS the dude for dropping a bay.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Sam! The five week lead time put me off, and now I've spoke to the guy at at Vintage Autohaus. He can sort it out for me quickly if I send in my stock spindles.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

metz wrote:
Thanks for the tip, Sam! The five week lead time put me off, and now I've spoke to the guy at at Vintage Autohaus. He can sort it out for me quickly if I send in my stock spindles.

Chris at autohaus is a nice guy. Sending in your spindles I imagine he’s cutting and rewelding them?

I can’t help but to think turnaround time is going to be about the same once you send them in. And having new, forged spindles makes me feel better than some rewelded. Also having OG’s is always good for going back to stock height or solving a problem on another project.

My two cents. Either way, it’ll get proper.

Sam

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

This is sad to hear Metz...
Yearly inspection becomes harder every year also down here...
I am sure that they will be able to source a core pair of spindles to modify do not send yours...

Good luck

Jim
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Being a 68/69 owner, I purchased (made a deposit) on Nate’s drop spindles for 2.5” drop with WagenWest. My opinion he IS the dude for dropping a bay.

SamboSamba22 wrote:
And having new, forged spindles makes me feel better than some rewelded. Sam

Umm, unless you are aware of something I'm not, Nates spindles ARE welded spindles. I understand he's building a lot of them from all new material now instead of old VW cores, but they are still welded in manufacturing. Not knocking them by any means, just saying... Absolutely agree that he IS the dude for lowering parts. You just can't be in a hurry.

Its all in the execution IMO.. I've got zero qualms with my welded from OG spindles from Nate Cool

The only all new supposed "forged" dropped spindle for bays is an import deal through EMPI. I'm sticking with my welded ones Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up sending my cores to France. For me it was the best option. From what I can find online he delivers great quality stuff and he did them in only a couple of days – so they are on their way back now. Since I'm getting the bus approved with a dropped beam and spindles, having spares isn't something I need.

In the meantime I dropped the beam to see if I could squeeze out some extra height, change the swing lever shaft and bushings, and clean it up a bit.

Dropping the beam did not go smooth. I've done it a few times before without issues, but this time it jammed itself on the way down and it was a royal PITA to get it loose. Of course it turned out that I'd forgotten the clutch cable, so it was me that was the royal idiot. Nothing like spending the night in the garage feeling useless.

The next evening was the opposite. Working in a standing position with all the parts and tools readily available was enjoyable. I used the Febi kit with tcash and Amskeptic's writeups for reference.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597889&start=0
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=3164
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=3165

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A 21mm socket fit perfectly to push out the old bushings with my homemade press and an impact driver. Seen above I'm pushing the new ones back. The rest of the installation went smooth as well. Can't wait to try the steering after this fix.

Then I cleaned up the beam and touched up scratches with some black paint. Ready for going back up and get spindless and brakes fitted.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Forgot to post this picture from before I started picking pieces of it again. Putting the bus to good use with a trip to the junkyard. Really looking forward to driving it again – hopefully before winter.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Spindles are back from Vintage Autohaus. Looks good. Bus should be back on its wheels this week.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Been a while, but I've not been lazy. Actually quite the opposite.

So, stoked to get the spindles back I mounted everything back together. I thought it would be bolt on, but had to trim off a bit on the CSP caliper brackets that was conflicting with the spindles. Always modify the cheapest part, right? Not much and merely cosmetic. So with that done and everything bolted up, we lowered the bus back down and took it for a test drive.

As you can see, with the new 4cm dropped spindles, the bus is low. Too low, in fact, and I'd already raised the beam to its max setting and it was now rubbing from time to time. On the plus side, the ride was smoother. But that doesn't really do much when it's not usable and never going to pass inspection.

A lot of time and money spent and the result was mere frustration. We went through the options, and after a nights sleep, the only viable one was to drop the beam again and start surgery. Hurray.

The issue was that the guy that made the beam placed with adjusters so that the highest possible setting was too low. They needed to come off so we could modify the slot and weld the splines back on lower on the beam so that the adjuster became usable again.

So here's many hours compiled into a few photos:

Anders did an excellent job on the welding and with some paint slapped on, spirits were escaping from the big black hole.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

With more adjustment I could raise the bus more, and we were off to get a new wheel alignment and dyno it.

To get the alignment gear to fit we had to raise the rear quite a bit, but with that done it was smooth sailing. The previous place had set the front wheels to +1.1 camber, which was contributing to the rubbing, looks crap and drives bad. I asked this guy to change it to the other end of the spectrum and he managed to get it to zero. That actually eliminated what was left of rubbing when turning.

After the alignment we followed the dude back to his own garage where he had the dyno.

I got the papers I needed and we headed back home. Nice 1hr drive and the bus is only getting better.

Back in the garage I swapped from J-tubes to the stock heaters and got ready for a new DMV inspection Shocked

And for the fairytale finale: Everything was OK. The bus is now approved with modifications: brakes, lowered front beam, lowered rear and engine. With those papers in hand I went to have the MOT check which was also good.

Picking up my plates tomorrow. May they never be separated from the bus again.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

All efforts considered and authenticated.

Congrats brotha.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Looks much better now with the adjusting of the adjusters! Always seems like those last little bits to bring it from 95% to 100% always are the most grueling. Here in the US, it seems like so many people just take their cars to around 90% and leave it there since we don't have safety inspections here, and I know I'm guilty of a few things as well. Props to you for having a fully functional, badass looking, and LEGAL bus!
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

Trashman wrote:
Always seems like those last little bits to bring it from 95% to 100% always are the most grueling

Haha, no doubt!

We're currently painting the garage floor which will be a nice upgrade. Then I'll mount the plates and switch places with my other car, the 911SC, which will get some love this winter.

I have more smaller projects lining up for the bus after that of course: need to finish the interior, install some gauges and wire up the fan for the oil cooler ++ But 2021 should be an enjoyable season with lots of miles.

vintage water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Hi !!

very nice restoration !!!!

I will have work in 2021 to get my 68 van project back on the road for 2022 I hope!

follow me here https://www.facebook.com/Vintagevwfactory-106778324444696
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Cheers!

Did some minor work last night, which is way more pleasant than before with the new epoxy floor. Then I had to fire it up, but nowhere to go in this weather. So I drove down one floor, turned around and drove back. Looking forward to longer, more outdoorsy cruising in 2021.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

2021! Mostly been tinkering with other stuff, but last night was a milestone for the little bus. I'd ordered a shortened sway-bar from Vintage Autohaus that showed up and got around to mount it. With drop-spindles installed a few months back I could now also fit the Bilstein shocks.

These were the last pieces of the front suspension puzzle that has haunted me for a couple of years now, so I really hoped the ride would be better than before. If not I wouldn't really have anything else to throw at it.

But... it worked! The shocks now perform like they should making the ride firm, but not uncomfortable. The sway-bar made a huge difference – less roll and less fighting against falling out of the seat when cornering. Also no rub when cornering even though a dropped it a notch.

I drives straighter so you don't need to correct with the steering all the time.

Relieved, happy and motivated.

Previously I'd also ghetto fabbed a bracket for the front license plate. And it didn't fall off.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Changed transmission oil last night and went for a small test ride. I've had a pretty noticeable howling sound in fourth gear, and it's still there, but it helped a tiny bit.

Anders (that you've seen helping throughout the thread) moved into our garage with his pretty quick cal-looker this winter. It's been sitting since 2019 because last years events was cancelled, so nice to see it moving again.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Plugging away at small jobs here and there to getting ready for the season.

Since Stribe is my small bike brand, the company bus needs to be able to transport some bikes. I've been thinking about how to solve it for a while, and I ended up ordering a Fiamma bike rack as pt1 of the solution. The silver finish was a no go, though, so I painted it matte black.

I think that's going to work fine.

Another thing I've been up to is sorting out the floppy side mirrors. Every time you close the door they've been moving out of position, which is extremely annoying. I finally took the glass out and went over every part and tightened it nicely up. Then I had glass cut, 3d printed new seals and mounted it all back togheter. Super nice to have proper mirrors!

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Been a while, but got the bus down on the ground yesterday and went on this years first proper cruise. Feels good!

Since last time I've wired up the tacho, oil gauges and oil cooler fan. Didn't take a lot of pictures during the process, but it was actually quite enjoyable when I had the tools and time to do it properly. So everything follows the original loom and looks pretty stock. And works! The tacho is the stock-looking kind and fits great, just much brighter than the rest, so I guess it's time to upgrade to LED on those. I've hidden the oil gauges in the glove box, so I can just open the lid to have a look when I want and keep the dash clean.

Then the final job before having it ready for the season was to properly seam seal the rear wheel housing and coat it with stone chip protection.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: