Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 panel - a long story short ish
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

You could slip a large clamp under that same bolt and hold that negative cable firm from vibration. I love your cat logo for your Bikes, I’ll have to get one of those nice T shirts with a frenzy of cats on the back

Laughing
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Yes, I need to tidy up the cables. Good idea with the clamp, will do that or flip direction and shorten it.

The white shirt is quite popular (in our scale), but it would be the first one in the US for sure Very Happy Just place the order and I'll ship it over. The guy that drew the cats is super talented. Check him out his work: https://byhands.no/illustrators/jon-arne-berg/

And since it's a new page I'll throw in a couple more photos from the shoot. Including Anders' (mentioned numerous times in this thread) recently finished and stunning 912.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Been a while! Bus has been out of hibernation for since April. Been out camping with it for a night and was recently at a small meet with very nice light (and cars).

No major plans for this year. Will do some more camping and meets plus the ordinary errands around town. I've done some maintenance and I plan to change door seal rubber, plus some minor upgrades here and there.
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Loving the lineup and pictures.
Comparing this to page one it's come a long way.
Great bus, seems like your enjoying it
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, Earl Cool

I'm glad I persevered. Still have some things I want to sort, like the transmission that's a little noisy and the exaggerated camber on the rear. Wheels will also be on the menu some day. The list is actually quite long, but the coming wrenching season will be dedicated to my 64 Ghia that wants to see the road on it's 60th birthday. It's a very mild project compared to this, though.

One thing I would like to improve on the bus is the crosswind stability. Getting wind gusts on the highway is not always pleasant. I'm thinking adding front, left and right belly pans would help quite a bit, but I can't find anyone talking about the aero benefits when discussing belly pans.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Earl Bay wrote:
Comparing this to page one it's come a long way.

I was just thinking the same thing when I saw your thread.
It's been an amazing transformation.

metz wrote:
One thing I would like to improve on the bus is the crosswind stability. Getting wind gusts on the highway is not always pleasant. I'm thinking adding front, left and right belly pans would help quite a bit, but I can't find anyone talking about the aero benefits when discussing belly pans.

I had a terrible time driving in cross winds until the drag link was replaced and the steering box was adjusted.
But even then it's no better than driving a billboard down the street.
I'm eager to hear if you're able to improve the handling.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

metz wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, Earl Cool

Beautiful Panel!

Keeping my 73 Panel on the road in strong crosswinds fully loaded with gear on the roof and running regular passenger tires was a mix of skill and strength! My Late Bay Westy is much better with the HD sway bar, refreshed front end, and proper tires even when loaded down.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Cheers guys!

When mounting the narrowed and lowered beam, the steering was naturally terrible. Since then I've gradually improved it by refreshing the steering box, adding a shortened sway bar, converting spindles to drop and redid the adjuster on the beam to sit higher, replaced bushing on the helper arm and fit better tires. Drag link and tie rods are all new.

So all this has helped significantly. But of course, it's still narrowed and lowered with a slight rake, so the limited caster is not helping on the self adjusting. I haven't measured, but I bet that there's some bump steer involved as well.

So without going back to a more stock beam, I think looking at the aerodynamics is next. I also believe adding a rear sway bar might help.

I really dig your panels, Shonand and Earl!
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Went racing and did a 17.7 Laughing

vintage water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

tres bon travail !
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Merci!

Yesterday I packed up the bus and drove it to my hometown for storage.

I've had a few very nice trip in the bus this year, but every time I need to do some work on it, it feels quite exhausting. Although it seems finished to everyone – I still feel like there is a lot to do, and there are also things that I'm not comepletely happy with. For instance the wheels and stance. The beam is too narrow so I have to run spacers, which affects the steering and also gives a bit of rub when loaded on full turn. Rear has too much camber and little clearance if I want to fix it without changing wheels or tires. Transmission still has an annoying whine when cruising in fourth and there are many details that I would like to improve. But I just don't feel like it. On top of that it's quite expensive to store a car in Oslo, and I have my Ghia in the workshop that I'm eager to get back to working on.

So I've realized it's time to put it aside for a while. Maybe I'll go pick it up to use it for some weeks next year, but only if it makes sense and I feel like it. The plan is to have the Ghia ready to rip and enjoy that next summer.

Thanks to everyone that has been following along in this thread. Maybe it will get it's revival in a year or two or three.

^That's me on the left.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

What a great thread!
Thanks for taking the time to share.

I totally know what you’re going thru;
It’s this kind of disappointment that results from still having so many details to suss.
You put so much effort in and it still wants more.

Good idea to put it away for a while.
Give it some time,
And then you’ll come back and find it and think
“Hey, look at this! Sweet!”

Especially after you get good and sick of dealing with that Ghia. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

You should ride your bike(s) more often
When the distance covered by bike doubles or tripples the one of the bus
it's easier to accept the busses "faults" Very Happy
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: 68 panel - a long story short ish Reply with quote

Cheers guys!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: