Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing Gear Oil
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

It's time to change the gear oil in my 73 manual transaxle. The last time I changed it, the engine/tranny were out of the bus so changing/adding new oil was easy. This time, I'm changing the oil with the tranny mounted under the bus.

Does anyone have any tricks or methods for filling the transaxle case with oil? It's in an awkward position and it's hard to get a funnel at the optimal angle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

Get yourself a pump, a gallon of gear oil and pump away.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-t...332794_0_0
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

Rule One: Make sure the fill plug is easily removed BEFORE you drain the old stuff out and only then find out you can't get any oil back into it!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

The method of using a hose long enough to reach the outside of the van body so you can just pour into a funnel connected to the hose works well when its warm enough.

I tend to use an oil suction gun which I refill by removing the endcap and pouring it full from a 5 gallon pail. Kind of slow and requires many trips under the van to get the job done, but this has been how I have been doing it for 50 years. I have learned over the years how to be quite neat and tidy when using this method.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

I use a 5 gallon bucket of gear oil with a hand pump but that’s because I do this a lot, like today. In your case buy the quart size squeeze bottles and tip it horizontally into the fill port and go for it.

Quick tip: cut the nozzle so it flows better and heat the oil.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

I just cut a section of hose long enough to put on the tip of the bottle and fed into the fill hole while my son slowly let it fill from the side of the bus. I just held the hose in the fill hole and yelled at him about doing it wrong or some such... Not really, but that's part of the fun for the kids I figure.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

Some brands of gearbox oil quart bottles have better spouts and more flexible plastic bottles for squeezing out the oil.
I ended up refilling an old quart bottle several times over , as the new bottles were less easy to use.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwmerckx Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

Set the gallon of gear oil in the warm Phoenix, AZ sun for a couple of hours
Took advantage that I had the engine out - but I have done this with the engine in and just as easy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Get yourself a pump, a gallon of gear oil and pump away.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-t...332794_0_0

FYI the pump in the big costco sized shampoo bottles work too, with a short length of hose on the top. Wink

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I rigged up a ladder, funnel, and long tube. It was a very do-able job and it’s nice to know there is fresh oil in the gear box.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

That’s crazy!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

I was working alone so had to have a stable way to hold the funnel.

The only issue was a bee got in the funnel and when I poured more oil, the bee got stuck in the fluid - took a while before it made its way to the end of the hose. I got it out before it got entombed in the tranny case.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

as mentioned above, heat it up or leave it in a warm inside space before pouring. Once did a clutch job/trans service on a Nissan in january. 35 degrees, 38 minutes to refill. True story.
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Gear Oil Reply with quote

Make sure to use API GL-4 not 5 or you will naff up the syncros over time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: