Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you keep in your bug?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
A_BugLife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

I finally have my '70 bug that I purchased last fall road worthy after going through it over the winter. Now that I will be driving it around town a little this summer I am wondering what I should keep with me while I drive it. I don't want to have to carry my whole toolbox but I think its smart to have some items with me to help make sure I get home.

I was thinking of the following:
    10mm wrench
    13mm wrench
    tire iron/breaker bar
    jack
    hubcap remover tool
    philips and standard screwdriver
    extra points
    duct tape
    gas can
    AAA card Smile

What am I missing?

Thanks,
D.
aja8888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

A_BugLife wrote:

What am I missing?

Thanks,
D.

Let me add a cell phone (bring it), some hidden cash, electrical tape, VOM, spare fuses.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

oil. empty gas can. rag. mechanic gloves.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

Baling wire, and air in your spare tire. Maybe a few electrical connections (I once used several to mend a broken accelerator cable so I could get home).

I also carry the OEM tool kit. It has many of the items you mentioned.

For longer trips, I have a bag-o-tools-and-stuff.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

Zip ties!
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

Wallet
Cell phone
AAA card

No point in packing enough crap to build an entirely new car.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

Meh. I carry a spare 009 dist. Loaded ready to go. It'd take me 5 minutes to change. Rather than waiting on a tow truck for over an hour or more. Usually. Twisted Evil
longer than an hour.
8mm wrench
10mm wrench
11mmwrench
13mm wrench
17mm wrench
19mm wrench
An adjustable spanner wrench
Two straight bit screw drivers, both large and small bit.
A phillips screw driver.
A 10mm socket for setting timing.
12v test light.
Feeler guages
Cell phone
Good insurance with towing. The towing can be a bit dicey. Some drivers charge a fee to load the car on the slip bed and others don't. YMMV!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

Add a fan belt into your tool boxes! That was the number one thing that failed on VWs when I was wrenching.

I carry all the tooling necessary to break down the engine if needed. Additionally, jumper cables, a AAA card and finally a pair of tennis shoes. I often wear flip flops, but there have been a few long walks through the years. Learned to carry good shoes for walking.
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

Anymore it's a jack-lug wrench, flat blade screw driver to adjust the brakes and my phone. If you take care of them they don't break down anymore than a newer car... shouldn't anyway.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

The OP said he was just driving it around town. For a road trip, sure, I carry more stuff; but for in town, regular driving, I don't carry more than a few items.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

Spare throttle cable and clutch cable. Someone else already mentioned a spare fan belt, I second that.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
hperez71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

Fire extinguisher...
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

owners manual
print it out if you don't have an original https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/70beetle.php

spare clutch cable
accelerator cable
fan belt
spare points
quart of the oil you use.
good spare tire
extra fuses

stock tool kit, which includes tools to change fan belt and/or flat tire

This will get you out of the general things that tend to go wrong. Have AAA card with you. My bug is pretty reliable, though the radio failed recently.

Maybe carry some bottled water and an extra sweatshirt and hat. Package of wipes in case you get greasy and that bothers you.
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

I usually tow my Honda behind me Smile
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

Sunglasses.
Reusable shopping bags.
Towel to cover the seat when I leave the top down on summer days.
Garage door opener.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

x2 on the fire extinguisher and because I have a cellphone and a AAA card why worry about anything else?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

x3 on the fire extinguisher!! I have seen many burned out Bugs in my time!

Zund-
I carry those as well, but sometimes it is something simple. Plus, I hate waiting patiently for anything which I could take care of myself if I only had a ........

One time, back when I was a kid in high school, I had a 1955 oval window. I had a fuse go bad because of a PO attempt at a repair which was occasionally failing. I had replaced this one fuse (out of the four) maybe 10 times and forgot to replenish my supply. I did not have any spare fuses (that does not happen now), but I did have a balled up gum wrapper from the foil type of gum wrappers (I think it was Big Red). I flattened that out and folded it, then I bridged the fuse points. That gum wrapper got me home to fix the PO crappy wiring job in the body channel which I did not know about. I do admit that I was lucky that something else did not fail because of that wrapper! I think it was a rewired 15 circuit, back to the coil through the A pillar, through the roof channel and down into the engine compartment. The original one had burned up before and melted a few wires along with itself.

Sorry, I was reminiscing! You get my point. I do also carry the AAA card and a good pair of shoes!
Skruffy2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

A repair manual
Test light
Starting fluid
Good flashlight
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Sorry, I was reminiscing! You get my point. I do also carry the AAA card and a good pair of shoes!

If you read almost everything I post. There's a reminiscing story that goes along with it. It's how the newer guys learn. You know from our successes and failures.
Seems like I have had more failures than successes lately Shocked But I post them so someone can learn from my experience, good or bad.

Oh and to add to the list I posted above. I do carry a spare a spare throttle cable and clutch cable as well. One quart of oil. Which I seen to refresh almost at every drive as of late. A hoody in the rear package tray and a cell phone.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: What do you keep in your bug? Reply with quote

Depends on the trip.
I have assembled a small tool kit/replacement parts. If the repairs are beyond that then tow it home for the repair. The whole idea is to know the vehicles reliability. I do have distances to travel where the towns are far apart, like 85 miles between stop lights. Try that easterners.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: