Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vibration and pulling to one side --what to do? [2003 Weekender]
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: vibration and pulling to one side --what to do? [2003 Weekender] Reply with quote

The 2003 Weekender was pulling to the left and the steering wheel was vibrating [again], so I took it to local dealership where they did another 4 wheel alignment and rebalance and discovered 3 wheel studs in a dangerous condition with "thin threads." They said it was a strut that needed adjustment that was causing the Nokian "1.0" 225/60/16 102H tires to wear badly. They moved the "straitened" rim with the "noisy" tire from the left front to the right rear. All 4 are wearing badly on the exterior edges. They've been rotated several times, so if there is a problem all 4 have been exposed to it.

It tracked well for a few hundred miles.

Now the steering wheel vibrates again and the van pulls to the *right* this time.

Back story is that my wife hit a deep pothole in Yellowstone in 2014 and I was surprised we didn't loose left side tires and wheels right there. When I got it back to Virginia, the dealership replaced either the lower *or* upper ball joints both sides, did an alignment and balance and rotation. A couple of years later the bent wheel was "straightened" and the other 2 ball joints were replaced.

Now I'm looking at a premature 4-tire replacement using either Nokian Entyre 2.0 225/60/16 102H or the Michelin Xi3 225/60/16 102H winter tires. Which runs quieter? I'm also looking at having the dealership order at least 2 OEM alloy wheels to rule out an out-of-round wheels making the tires wear all noisy. If the suspension of this van is boogered to the point that it is eating tires that won't help for very long. . . .what to do? I'm hesitant to pester the dealership into any unnecessary front suspension work. It has been miserable to drive since that 2014 pothole in Yellowstone. I drive it daily. At present, the only reason I am leaning toward the Michelin tires is so the dealership will not blame my problem on cheap tires --but the fact is that the Nokian Entyre 1.0 tires didn't fare well under these circumstances Yellowstone-pothole-or-not. If I'm wrong, the bus will eat the more expensive tires just as fast. I'm hesitant to go to a 235 100H Defender because I'm concerned that a heavier tire will just wear everything out even faster. 85,000 miles today. about 25,000 miles on Nokians.
2003 Westfalia "Tourmaline" (sold)
2021 MB Metris Getaway “TheDarkSide”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: vibration and pulling to one side --what to do? [2003 Weekender] Reply with quote

I'll post this in the what done and when maintenance history thread when I find it again.

85100 steering wheel vibration and pulling to one side again. Looking at replacing tires.
84861 $226 --4-wheel alignment and 2 wheel bolts
`$3200 --oil leak at timing chain cover led to replacing timing chain and followers [will edit when I find that reciept] also upper ball joints and 4-wheel aligment
52798 $2335 --ECM and Front 02 sensor
55696 ? --RT headlamp assembly [the original leaked]
55992 $516 --OEM Center Muffler
57151 $217 --main battery
57668 $45 –open circuit in ECT sender
55768 ----Nokian Entyre 1.0 102H replaced dryrotted Michelins
62500 $1513 --rear brakes, outer tie rods and lower ball joints
64775 $975 --instrument cluster
79842 $844 --80,000 mile service plus replace transmission fluid and filter inspection
44120 $104 --front brake pads
? OEM rear muffler at dealership
34963 $under warranty --Cruise control –brake light switch out of adj.
35524 $under warranty --secondary air pump
38877 $195 --replace main battery
39584 $916 --40,000 mile service plus replace transmission fluid and filter inspection
36459 $707 --OEM MXV4+ 225/60/16 XL 102H [ultimately dry-rotted]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: vibration and pulling to one side --what to do? [2003 Weekender] Reply with quote

Put 4 new tires on it, replace the bent wheels and get another alignment. It just seems like your EV is a lemon due to the amount of work it has had done to it for the mileage.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: vibration and pulling to one side --what to do? [2003 Weekender] Reply with quote

Ouch
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: vibration and pulling to one side --what to do? [2003 Weekender] Reply with quote

The pain doesn't really hurt until *after* I get my wallet out.

The dealership wants to send all 4 wheels to a wheel shop to be checked and/or reconditioned. Apparently 7D0601025B091 has been NLA for a while.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: vibration and pulling to one side --what to do? [2003 Weekender] Reply with quote

Just buy used wheels then. On car-part.com alone there has to be at least 50 of them. It's pretty easy to figure out what is bent and what is not. Jack up the van and spin each wheel. Look in the inside and it's pretty obvious when one is bent. So, determine which ones are bent and buy used or reconditioned ones that are found online. Yes, it will cost money but if you really want the problem fixed, you know what the answer is.

I would strongly suggest that you do not take it to the dealer. Dealers hate to see Eurovans and will just price you to the point where you'll go away. Go find somewhere else. Even a general repair shop can fix your problem.
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: vibration and pulling to one side --what to do? [2003 Weekender] Reply with quote

. . .and I guess I might as well ad 4 OEM Sachs/Boge shocks to that:

http://www.busdepot.com/701513031n rear
http://www.busdepot.com/7d0413031c front

Are these sufficient for the heavy 2003 Weekender? Are there likely to be any other bushings or hardware I should supply to the installer?

I didn't jump on the Bilstein Heavy Duty option I've heard about, because I was concerned that might make my spine rattle a bit more then OEM. That was based on a just shot-in-the-dark guess, but I'm old and everything hurts, so I'm just not bold that way for my daily driver.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: vibration and pulling to one side --what to do? [2003 Weekender] Reply with quote

Finding a good alignment shop these days is your biggest challenge. Install some good used straight wheels along with some proper load rated tires.

For general usage the Monroe Sensa-trac shocks are good reasonably priced option. They are a heavy duty light truck shock and they don't ride overly harsh.

Once you find a good alignment shop they can tell you if something is bent or out of whack. If that's the case just replace the bent part with a good used one, align and be on your way.

And as previously mentioned avoid the dealer at all costs unless absolutely necessary. This is not a dealer type problem.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: vibration and pulling to one side --what to do? [2003 Weekender] Reply with quote

Today, the tire-eating green monster goes to a tire shop along with 5 Michelin X-Ice 102H tires, 4 reconditioned OEM rims from AutoTrimShop and 4 Sachs/Boge shocks from busdepot for all that and a 4-wheel alignment and another suspension inspection. I expect everything to be peachy for a while, but it will be a few hundred miles before I know if the tires will stay balanced and wear even. I'll then try to stay on top of it until I determine if there are additional suspension problems that will rattle my spine again. I'll let you know how it works out. Thank you.
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: vibration and pulling to one side --what to do? [2003 Weekender] Reply with quote

As expected, it rolls like it just came out of the dealership showroom *today*. I'll report back in 500 miles
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: vibration and pulling to one side --what to do? [2003 Weekender] Reply with quote

It has been about 600 miles and the tires have stayed round and balanced, so it seems to have worked out.
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: vibration and pulling to one side --what to do? [2003 Weekender] Reply with quote

It still runs and rolls like a new one. Replacing *all 4 rims* may have been ov erkill even-for-me but it seems to have worked out. . . .also had the fiberglass top and bumpers painted, so it looks like a new one too. Even poor 'ol neglected Buttercup is getting The Full Monty this year. I hope that works out too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: