Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epayne611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Like others, I'm interested in the NLA vinyl too, but to those of your who just ordered it from NLA, what was the cost added for the shipping across the Atlantic? I imagine that it would be cost prohibitive?

Bill

International shipping is $73. Subtract VAT ($25) and it’s about $185 shipped. If anyone in Orange County (or anyone attending OCTO) wants to group buy and save on shipping let me know.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

Nice for some Westy's that were installed with the dark pattern but some had the light grey. I'd be interested to know which Westy came with dark pattern and which had light patten.

Can someone post the web address for NLAVW?

velvetgreen wrote:
Here is the NLAVW repop SO42 flooring at least as it is pictured on their site

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

https://nlavw.com/interior/519-so42-floor-vinyl-for-t2-splits.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

This is how the NLA flooring looks like. It is quite dark. The light was not optimum when I took the picture but it gives an idea.

In the past I have bought some original early baywindow flooring and it had some horsehair cushioning below which is a great insulation. The NLA does not have that on the backside, it is felt. I don’ know what the original material had on its back.

Does the granularity of the NLA look good compared to the original material?

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

Its a pretty good match to one of the original patterns. Definitely a bit darker and the background is more off-white than grey but probably not a deal breaker for most. I tweaked your pic a bit:

Original

NLA:

Definitely nothing closer to this pattern that I've seen. The other common pattern is not being reproduced yet.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

Am sure NLAVW would like to hear some feedback. I ordered a spice rack bracket from them and when I got it, it was off in so many ways I would have been better going over to home depot and ordering angle iron.

To their credit I contacted NLAVW and politely pointed out all the mistakes their "reproduction" had compared to the original. I sent them back some detailed pics of what their reproduction should look like. They thanked me and said they would made the next version better AND refunded my money. Quality act

The original linoleum is quite thin with a horsehair backing is the repop the same thickness?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

If you know the thickness of the original we can compare it to the repro which is 1mm thick.

I’ll post a picture taken with natural daylight later. But according to the comparative picture of above it is clearly darker and more in the very dark brown/beige colors. But as said nothing closer available yet.
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

Color looks like too much brown instead of the OG patterns which is more grey.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

I was aware of this mint and very original 1966 SO-44.

I checked its flooring and as you can see it is very dark and seems brownish which would support the fact that the NLAVW product is really close to this original material. Smile

Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

Mine just landed yesterday, will be installing within the next few days.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
Grönis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

My carpet arrived today and I took some pictures. Unfortunately, the light was a little bad so there were no fair colors.
Have not seen the original personally but it's good enough for me.

velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

i got a sample from nlavw of their new repopped so42 flooring. i have compared it to a few different original samples i have pulled out of north american so42's over the years. based on what i have seen there seem to be a number of variants on the familiar original grey mottled vinyl flooring. the new flooring matches some of the skinny little original strips almost exactly whereas other original pieces not so much (see pics).

for the truly picky the backing on the new appears to be black synthetic felt whereas the original seems to be some sort of beige horsehair.

the thickness of the new vinyl seems to be almost identical to the original

front

back

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

It looks like measles mated with herpes on the top. The bottom is way better for water repellentsy.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

i just posted the pics wasn't testing for diseases Smile

the skinny little pieces have some good (i hope!) on them- cleaned them us as best i could but if it get too aggressive on it might lose the original patterning. long story short looks like nlavw flooring is the best match i have seen to date
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

"good" was meant to say glue
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

From an eBay auction—vinyl floor in May 1967 Westfalia SO 42
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

From early’s gallery:
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

I found this at Lowes a while back and trying to get it, even if only temporary.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

Looks like the table laminate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: