Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

For all those that are looking Kief and and Klok have their vinyl back in stock and looks about as close to an original match as I have seen

https://kieftenklok.nl/shop/en/?option=com_virtuem...ct_id=2149
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

Wow really nice looking, ordering mine this week before they run out. Thanks velvetgreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

velvetgreen wrote:
For all those that are looking Kief and and Klok have their vinyl back in stock and looks about as close to an original match as I have seen

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

The same is available here:

https://www.bus-ok.de/Type2-Westfalia-Early-Bay-Floor-Vinyl-as-original-per-16m-x-14m

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

And I think also the same one from here:
https://nlavw.com/interior/528-westfalia-early-bay-floor-vinyl.html
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

And it's a closer to match pattern.

swiss_bulli wrote:
And I think also the same one from here:

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65so42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

Hi guys !

Let me show you my original May '65 SO42 Linoleum.

Geoffrey

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

My floor just arrived from NLAVW. Super fast shipping I think 3 days. Not exact but I can live with it easily.

My original:

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Fairmounter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

My 73 has a bare floor and I needed to get the flooring together before reinstalling my repaired cabinets. The english stuff is way too expensive to be shipped and import taxed into Guatemala so I needed to figure out a way to make it here. The malls here all have various vinyl signs on the floor and they hold up really well to repeated heavy traffic. I used some of the images from this thread and had it reproduced in floor sign material at a local sign shop. I had no wood floor to start with, the idea of using eva foam had been in my head so I went for it. EVA foam is like what wrestling mats and gym floors are made of. It does not absorb water. I went with interlocking children's play mats that were 1/4" thick. I used two layers and offset the joints. In some areas I only used one layer where the floor rose up proud of the main level. It is more functional than aesthetic as I will generally cover it with a throw rug, but overall I am happy with the result. Overall the foam mats were about $30, vinyl floor sign material around $45 and glue around $30.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

Fairmounter, I like it, very creative and I bet its flexibility made it easy to install. I'm curious as to what others will say regarding moisture and that foam exercise mat. I don't know enough about moisture but should learn more. Please keep us updated once the z-bed is installed. Can you provide a closeup of the material you have on top and how is it so shiny? Also why did you keep it off the edges?

Fairmounter wrote:
My 73 has a bare floor and I needed to get the flooring together before reinstalling my repaired cabinets. The english stuff is way too expensive to be shipped and import taxed into Guatemala so I needed to figure out a way to make it here. The malls here all have various vinyl signs on the floor and they hold up really well to repeated heavy traffic. I used some of the images from this thread and had it reproduced in floor sign material at a local sign shop. I had no wood floor to start with, the idea of using eva foam had been in my head so I went for it. EVA foam is like what wrestling mats and gym floors are made of. It does not absorb water. I went with interlocking children's play mats that were 1/4" thick. I used two layers and offset the joints. In some areas I only used one layer where the floor rose up proud of the main level. It is more functional than aesthetic as I will generally cover it with a throw rug, but overall I am happy with the result. Overall the foam mats were about $30, vinyl floor sign material around $45 and glue around $30.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Fairmounter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

At the shop that printed it, they said the shininess would go away in time. From what I have read the EVA won't absorb moisture. What do you mean by 'why did you keep it off the edges?'?

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Fairmounter, I like it, very creative and I bet its flexibility made it easy to install. I'm curious as to what others will say regarding moisture and that foam exercise mat. I don't know enough about moisture but should learn more. Please keep us updated once the z-bed is installed. Can you provide a closeup of the material you have on top and how is it so shiny? Also why did you keep it off the edges?

Fairmounter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

I used 3M 77 to glue the 2 layers of foam together and then 3M 77 on the foam to attach the floor sign material. On my test piece the floor sign adhesive alone did not do the trick. I am having a couple of adhesion issues, but they are where the furniture will cover, so I am not worried about that. Most of the floor will be covered by furniture, and the rest by a throw rug so it is more functional than aesthetic. None the less I like the way it looks far more than the typical left over residential wood floor that most often gets used. Having a smooth surface under the throw rug should make it easier to clean. I like the soft feel and I like that it will insulate against noise and cold. At this point I don't have the metal edge, so when the door opens the wrapped edge will show in profile. So far on the bay forum, feedback has been "get the mothballs out of your wallet" and "that does not look good at all," they think I should buy the reproduction flooring from England. Shipping and import taxes make it impractical to get flooring imported into Guatemala, so I needed to come up a local solution. The color is not represented well in the photo above, the light areas are more of a beige/putty color than the light tan/grey in the photo.
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

I would like to add a variant and ask the question if anyone has seen this one and what model it was in.

Hello! We're exploring options to reproduce this pattern for VW camper floor covering.

Have you seen it before, and in what models?

It came out of my 1967 SO-42 Campmobile. It is much lighter and cheerier than the Westfalia type patterns available presently.

Your feedback, advice, and leads would be appreciated. Thanks!

1967 Dodge A-108 CampWagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

I was so disappointed with the NLAVW flooring that I went out and purchased a sisal mat to cover the crap that NLAVW sells.

I wish I could say that their product is of high quality, especially given the price, but after one camping trip, it had scuff marks from my foot turning on it. These are not marks you can get out.

Until they find a new supplier, I highly recommend looking somewhere else, or if you do purchase their vinyl, after install, do not step on it.

volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
I was so disappointed with the NLAVW flooring that I went out and purchased a sisal mat to cover the crap that NLAVW sells.

I wish I could say that their product is of high quality, especially given the price, but after one camping trip, it had scuff marks from my foot turning on it. These are not marks you can get out.

Until they find a new supplier, I highly recommend looking somewhere else, or if you do purchase their vinyl, after install, do not step on it.

Did you get satisfaction when you brought this to NLA, and do you have pics of the damage?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

volksbus wrote:
Did you get satisfaction when you brought this to NLA, and do you have pics of the damage?

I will post pics in this thread later of the floor marks.

I did let them know back in May when I installed their product and they thanked me for my feedback.

I am not putting them down as a company as I have purchased other things from them that met expectation.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

volksbus wrote:
do you have pics of the damage?

Ask and you shall receive. Please see the photos below that show the scuff marks I am talking about. These will not come out.

This first photo the mark is closer to the upper right and the lighting is making it hard to see

This one is easier to see

Both of these marks were from the first time I took it camping, which was 7 trips ago. Imagine what the rest of the floor looks like......

I have a Sundial with original linoleum that has 50+ years of wear that is holding up better than this.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

That's too bad. I've purchased other parts from them and the quality has been good but obviously they missed the mark here.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

Fairmounter, as per your question "What do you mean by 'why did you keep it off the edges?" it appears the rubber exercise mat is not to the edge of the flooring material. I wanted to know why.

Fairmounter wrote:
At the shop that printed it, they said the shininess would go away in time. From what I have read the EVA won't absorb moisture. What do you mean by 'why did you keep it off the edges?'?

LAGrunthaner wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Wow really nice looking, ordering mine this week before they run out. Thanks velvetgreen.

velvetgreen wrote:

Were you happy with yours?
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Original Westfalia SO 42 and SO 44 flooring, linoleum, marmoleum Reply with quote

I was unable to get Kieftenklok stock before they ran out and still waiting to find the smooth back style. I may end up with a wooden floor out of frustration but trying not to. I still have the fiber (looks like a rug) backing that I would be unable to glue down. I wish I sent it back immediately. Waiting for a reply this week on the new stock from https://nlavw.com/home/528-westfalia-early-bay-floor-vinyl.html.

volksbus wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

velvetgreen wrote:

Were you happy with yours?

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: